U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 08:10 AM

11 posts, read 28,143 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Michigan and need to move. The economy is very bad where we live and while its cheap, I see life here getting worse before better. My sig. other was offered a position in New Haven, CT with Yale and I could work in CT if I wanted to since it is close to NYC and there are lots of jobs. His salary would be much higher than what we make here, and mine would be too. I dont know the cost of living difference between MI and CT but CT has no cheap homes.

We also have the option of making much less and living in Cincinnati. We want good schools and I dont know how they are in OH or KY. We would make less but the price of houses is half of CT. I like hearing that CT towns are nice and educated. I also like Cin's cost of living!

Why is CT so expensive and how do people survive there? I know they have good schools so that is why we are leaning that way, and I think property values are steady we've been told because it is both Boston and NYC metros so we wouldn't have to worry too muchg about the price declining. We dont know what to do, please help. This is a stressful time

Id really like to know what you would do if you were in our dilemma.

Last edited by Bo; 01-24-2009 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: Updated title to make thread easier to find with search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 09:05 AM

1,576 posts, read 5,020,967 times
-Mistake in my post-

Last edited by Newarkbomb; 01-24-2009 at 10:09 AM..

Old 01-24-2009, 09:07 AM

15,739 posts, read 21,986,671 times
There are cheaper pockets in CT. The reason for high real estate is due to 1/3 of CT (with about 60% of the state's population) being suburban NYC. That's the area you're looking at, and it's one of the most expensive areas in the nation.

Cinc vs CT, I'd pick CT, but then again, I live here so I'm biased.

Here you have access to lots of culture from being next to NYC and Boston, mass transit, four seasons, more than 7 airports to choose from should you decide to fly back to MI or take a vacation, beaches, mountains and forest within a half hour. People here are cosmopolitan and educated, of course there are a few exceptions in a couple of my least favorite towns. haha

People have this vision that CT is a place for only the rich and while it is expensive, there is something here for everyone. If you can afford it, it's a very well rounded state.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:11 AM

We can spend up to $300 for a house but that is our maximum. We can't go over that and would like to spend $250 at most. There is nothing in CT for $250 but in OH you can get a huge house.

Ill look at Yonkers but it seems far from New Haven. Arent NY taxes pretty high, or is CT higher?

If it helps at all we are white, secular and very very friendly

Old 01-24-2009, 09:54 AM

5,639 posts, read 8,748,046 times
I'm a native of Connecticut. If your husband decides to take the job in New Haven, you should look at the Hartford area or perhaps eastern CT for houses. You can find something for under 300 grand in those areas of the state and they'll need minimal or no work to be habitable. My friend's father used to commute from Simbury to Exxon in Manhattan each day. And the husband of my Mother's friend used to commute from West Hartford to a company in Manhattan each day. A commute from a suburban Hartford community or even perhaps the New London area won't be nearly as lengthy either distance or time wise.

Something else you should consider. How secure is the new position? Will it be prone to a layoff as the economy continues to worsen? You don't want to be stuck in a distant state not having any close family or friends nearby if something should happen. The Cincinnati area certainly has some fine school systems and you simply need to research each of the school systems to determine which one will fit your needs. Housing and property taxes will be far lower in the Cincinnati area and you'll also be close to home, presuming that your family and friends are still in Michigan.

If it was me, I'd take the most stable route possible. Whichever job is least likely to be impacted as the economy continues to worsen is the the job you should take.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:06 AM

1,576 posts, read 5,020,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need Advice 2009 View Post
We can spend up to $300 for a house but that is our maximum. We can't go over that and would like to spend $250 at most. There is nothing in CT for $250 but in OH you can get a huge house.

Ill look at Yonkers but it seems far from New Haven. Arent NY taxes pretty high, or is CT higher?

If it helps at all we are white, secular and very very friendly
O your right, New Haven is farther than i thought.. i thought it was around the Norwalk area when i thought ontop of my head.. Yea Yonkers to New Haven, NOT a good commute ! haha, sorry about that.

So pretend i didnt say Yonkers.. haha, i'll try to help you out still.

ANyway, i just mentioned Shelton earlier.. good town, im pretty sure its not too expensive considering most surroundidng towns.. its safe i know that. I have family there, they love it, their house has a beautiful property.. deers in there backyard, has a nice downtown, good schools, and safe.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Shelton_CT_06484_1103055180 (broken link)
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/102-High-St_Shelton_CT_06484_1106112344 (broken link)
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/21-Kneen-Street-Ext_Shelton_CT_06484_1105006522 (broken link)
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Shelton_CT_06484_1105256526 (broken link) << this is the same model as my family in CT
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Shelton_CT_06484_1105378949 (broken link)

(btw, Cincy, or just OH in general has a horrible economy.. CT not so much)

Last edited by Newarkbomb; 01-24-2009 at 10:16 AM..

Old 01-24-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I'm a native of Connecticut. If your husband decides to take the job in New Haven, you should look at the Hartford area or perhaps eastern CT for houses. You can find something for under 300 grand in those areas of the state and they'll need minimal or no work to be habitable. My friend's father used to commute from Simbury to Exxon in Manhattan each day. And the husband of my Mother's friend used to commute from West Hartford to a company in Manhattan each day. A commute from a suburban Hartford community or even perhaps the New London area won't be nearly as lengthy either distance or time wise.

Something else you should consider. How secure is the new position? Will it be prone to a layoff as the economy continues to worsen? You don't want to be stuck in a distant state not having any close family or friends nearby if something should happen. The Cincinnati area certainly has some fine school systems and you simply need to research each of the school systems to determine which one will fit your needs. Housing and property taxes will be far lower in the Cincinnati area and you'll also be close to home, presuming that your family and friends are still in Michigan.

If it was me, I'd take the most stable route possible. Whichever job is least likely to be impacted as the economy continues to worsen is the the job you should take.
The job in New Haven seems more stable than OH. Plus it is more money.

Looked at West Hartford, seems very affluent and just as expensive.

Do you know any great towns in the Cincinnati area?

Old 01-24-2009, 10:12 AM

15,739 posts, read 21,986,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
O your right, New Haven is farther than i thought.. i thought it was around the Norwalk area when i thought ontop of my head.. Yea Yonkers to New Haven, NOT a good commute ! haha, sorry about that.

So pretend i didnt say Yonkers.. haha, i'll try to help you out still.

ANyway, i just mentioned Shelton earlier.. good town, im pretty sure its not too expensive considering most surroundidng towns.. its safe i know that. my cousins and anut and uncle live thereThey love it, their house has a beautiful property.. deers in there backyard, has a nice downtown, good schools, and safe.

(btw, Cincy, or just OH in general has a horrible economy.. CT not so much)
Good suggestions. Shelton is a great town - I just moved here from the incredibly expensive Stamford area. I live by the older downtown area and got a small but updated house for pretty reasonable - my price range was a little higher than the OPs. While Shelton's prices are lower than nearly all surrounding towns, they are still very high with the average home being ~$400k.

You can find deals, but you have to look hard. Maybe wait until Spring (if time allows) so there will be more inventory? Also Shelton has many nice condo complexes around $300k. Most are much higher though.

I agree about the OH economy, a friend of mine in Akron said foreclosures out there are getting to the "Scary" mark. The tri state and Boston areas are doing pretty well in this "recession" even with the hit Wall Street took.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:54 AM

5,639 posts, read 8,748,046 times
Blue Ash is a nice suburb of of Cincy. The following school districts in Hamilton County are rated excellent:

047340 Forest Hills Hamilton Excellent Click Here
045435 Indian Hill Hamilton Excellent Click Here
044271 Loveland Hamilton Excellent Click Here
044289 Madeira Hamilton Excellent Click Here
044313 Mariemont Hamilton Excellent Click Here
047373 Oak Hills Hamilton Excellent Click Here
047381 Southwest Hamilton Excellent Click Here
044867 Sycamore Community Hamilton Excellent Click Here
045146 Wyoming

On the KY side you can look at Florence and perhaps Fort Mitchell and Fort Wright.

BTW. People in CT are generally more reserved than the most areas of the Midwest. Eventually they will probably warm up to you but expect most people, especially the natives to be a bit standoffish at first. You'll find people in the Cincinnati area to be more friendly from the start.

Personally, based upon what you've said, I think you should concentrate on CT. A stable job is the most important thing in this economy. Most of Ohio's economy is a train wreck as pointed out earlier by KidYankee. Even though your dollar will stretch further in Cincy, if the job is not as secure as the New Haven job you should go to New Haven.

Since West Hartford is too expensive you may as well avoid Simsbury, Avon, Glastonbury and probably South Windsor in the Hartford area. But you could probably find a decent home in a suburban community like Newington, Rocky Hill or Cromwell. And more rural communities like Hebron, Andover and Marlboro may also be worth a look. All are fairly close or close to either I 84, I 384 or I 91 and will give you a short commute to New Haven.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:20 AM

7,732 posts, read 11,763,776 times
Look just to the East of New Haven in places like Branford & Guilford. You might be surprised at how nice of a condo, house or apartment you can rent there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or