U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 03:00 AM

6,523 posts, read 7,477,679 times

Advertisements

Tired of the anti southern bias, and its everywhere. I know the northeast states are populated by high IQs and down south we can barely walk upright. Give me a break, Im sure the study was done in Boston or somewhere else up there and its creators skewed the data in a way to make the south look bad. I don't believe our schools are inferior, and our universities are not either. People in Boston are no smarter than anywhere else, How can people really fall for this nonsense????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 10:37 AM

21,364 posts, read 21,930,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Tired of the anti southern bias, and its everywhere. I know the northeast states are populated by high IQs and down south we can barely walk upright. Give me a break, Im sure the study was done in Boston or somewhere else up there and its creators skewed the data in a way to make the south look bad. I don't believe our schools are inferior, and our universities are not either. People in Boston are no smarter than anywhere else, How can people really fall for this nonsense????
in fairness to Dixie, wouldn't their IQ scores be further undercut by many stupid people from the North moving down there?

Old 02-02-2014, 10:39 AM

21,364 posts, read 21,930,528 times
Quote:
in fairness to Dixie, aren't their IQ scores being further undercut by many stupid people from the North moving down there?

Old 02-02-2014, 10:48 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,735,011 times
Quote:
Well there is only about a 6 point difference between all the states so its not like northerners are that much smarter.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:32 AM

3,077 posts, read 5,456,335 times
Wow, I'm really surprised that Florida isn't last. Almost every story about bizarre idiotic behavior comes from Florida. Like calling 911 because Burger King won't give you a whopper, etc.

Perhaps there are lots of smart astronauts in Cape Caniveral who help to balance out the dumb.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:46 AM

6,523 posts, read 7,477,679 times
I think we all know that everywhere in the US you will find uneducated people or just plain dumb folks. The talk show host do those "man on the street" interviews in LA and NYC, some of them are very funny. I really don't think there is any regional difference, there are plenty of dumb people everywhere. Michigan83 has a point about Florida however, lots of crazy idiotic things happen in Florida and we must ask the question, WHY?

Old 02-02-2014, 11:49 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,059,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
These IQ estimates are extrapolated from SAT and ACT as those exams are highly correlated to traditional IQ exams like Stanford-Binet. Almost all US citizens take one of those exams.

Also, the US Military has been a prolific gatherer of IQ information for the last 100 years.

These estimates have an almost perfect confidence level.
Do you have a source for that statement or is it just something you believe? I was looking for state IQ rankings on the internet and as far as I can tell there is nothing that has been done by any sort of academically rigorous institution. Just some lists made up by some internet dudes.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:51 AM

19,889 posts, read 18,900,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Wow, I'm really surprised that Florida isn't last. Almost every story about bizarre idiotic behavior comes from Florida. Like calling 911 because Burger King won't give you a whopper, etc.

Perhaps there are lots of smart astronauts in Cape Caniveral who help to balance out the dumb.
The reason Massachusetts is so high is due to all the colleges. Harvard, MIT, University of MA, Wellesley, Mt Holyoke, Smith plus a lot of expensive private schools. Education is the #1 industry in MA. Now if you just counted the ordinary residents and excluded out of state students, you would get different results.

Although all those educational institutions do attract intelligent professors and administrators so that adds some more intelligent people.

Whoever said this is an example of the dumbing down--IQ is a measure of intelligence, not of education. Supposedly your IQ does not change during your lifetime. It's not 100% accurate anyway but in general, I seen that the results do hold up.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:03 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,326,666 times
Quote:
What makes you think its nonsense? Some cities and states embrace education and learning MUCH more than others. They do this by fostering early childhood education, making it affordable and easy to access great education, pay more taxes to fund their public institutions, vote for political leaders who emphasize education and learning over other priorities, etc.

Many in the South brag about how low the taxes are compared to their Northern bretheren, and now you're seeing where some of those expenditures go and how it pays off. I realize that there isn't a perfect correlation between funding and education (meaning you can't buy your education per se), but there is undoubtedly SOME relationship and I think that notion isn't lost on many residents in Northern or Liberal cities/states.

Inteligence and education aren't the same however, as inteligence is your ability and education is what you've applied. I wonder how much of inteligence can be learned, at least in terms of what the IQ measures? Another factor that could be at play is immigration patterns. Perhaps some countries are more inteligent than others (for whatever reason) and when those people migrate to other regions they bring their inteligence with them. It's an interesting discussion for sure!

Old 02-02-2014, 01:00 PM

4,282 posts, read 2,531,490 times
I am honestly shocked Montana ranks so high. There are a lot of dumb people here. It also seems like residents here never leave the state and are completely clueless about the rest of the country let alone the world.

I don't know how many Montanans told me (because they were confident, they weren't asking) that I couldn't buy a used boat from the Great Lakes region because the boat would have been in salt water .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or