U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 03:11 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,997,754 times

Advertisements

Damn I thought my current state would be higher. Still a lot higher than where I was born. (hint: it's in the south)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 09:30 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,822,626 times
Well, NC is right about average at 100.2. It's no surprise to me. I'd guess that the "average" number is very unevenly distributed with very high IQ in the Triangle & Charlotte specifically with the rural areas being well below it.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:59 PM

6 posts, read 5,647 times
lol... I guessed number 1 right before I even loaded up the thread.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:12 PM

7,544 posts, read 12,612,957 times
Rather more salient:

High School Graduation Rates by State

Old 02-18-2015, 11:42 PM

1 posts, read 859 times
I participated in a forum on this in San Diego Ca. last year. California is given one of the highest amounts per student of federal and state funding,(approximately $9,000 per student per year). You would think with the amount of funding, that would produce better results then 48th out of 50. One of the major problems with our educational system, isn't just HOW much we spend, but HOW we spend what we get. In California, approximately 95% of the money, both federal and state, has been misappropriated. Most of the money that is designated to the schools per student, ends up going to administrative positions of private educational corporations, or other areas of individual districts, that it isn't designated for. The misappropriations are so wide spread, that catching up with them has created a tremendous backlog of lawsuits. I was personally involved in one that recovered $140 million dollars for our district, that was illegally appropriated by our Superintendent a few years ago. It took six months of research, and another six months to get it on the Federal docket. We won the case, but this is like a drop in the bucket. There are so many cases that aren't even exposed. Anyway, the $9,000 dollars per student ends up being about $450 per student, by the time it gets down to the school site. Out of that, teachers must be hired, office staff, school psychologists, ESL personnel, etc. We end up with classrooms with 30-6- students in them,(thirty primary,-60 high school per period). There is NO way students can get a decent education, and there is a tremendous overturn of teachers, because of stress levels, let alone be able to hire English as a Second Language personnel, to teach those students who only know Spanish English. That is an extremely important position, as California has a high percentage of students, that only know Spanish, and need to learn English in order to become well educated.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:27 AM

7,544 posts, read 12,612,957 times
If I recall right (former CA resident, for 28 years, but now back in MT) -- in CA the number of teachers and administrators are roughly equal. In states with better education, the ratio is much more tilted toward teachers.

Also, I've observed a generally inverse ratio of funding to results. I have a strong suspicion this translates not only into simple waste, but also heavily into "electronics and teaching toys" vs "blackboard and chalk". Yet those more 'advanced' classrooms typically have poorer results (and research is with me on that). The old primitive method proves rather more effective for actually teaching fundamentals.

The problem with computer-centric teaching, and I decided this after having a chance to try out some of this "learning software" that's popular nowadays, is that the kid learns not the topic, but how to get the program to spit up the desired response.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:46 AM

2,993 posts, read 2,150,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy1 View Post
Ok, I'll address the white elephant in the room...What's up with the southern states? Sh*t!
Well, to be honest, that's the result of conservative politics, for ya. That's what happens when nobody wants to spend a lousy dime on edumacation, and pay the teachers even less. And then turn around and pi $$ & moan about the horrible shape the public schools are in.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:15 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Well, to be honest, that's the result of conservative politics, for ya. That's what happens when nobody wants to spend a lousy dime on edumacation, and pay the teachers even less. And then turn around and pi $$ & moan about the horrible shape the public schools are in.
But they'll spend millions on football. And for states like Texas, that's just in the high school ranks.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:22 AM

21,364 posts, read 21,922,845 times
if I would have known there was going to be a ranking published, I would have tried harder on the test they gave

Old 06-06-2015, 08:54 PM

1,743 posts, read 960,883 times
The range is only ten points and the averages really don't mean much. There may be more smart people in one state but you might find the smartest person in a state with less smart people. However, I'm still not pleased with Texas being #30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or