U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 09:09 AM

10,582 posts, read 14,373,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Well, to be honest, that's the result of conservative politics, for ya. That's what happens when nobody wants to spend a lousy dime on edumacation, and pay the teachers even less. And then turn around and pi $$ & moan about the horrible shape the public schools are in.
Fail. IQ isn't something that can be taught and has nothing to do with 'edumacation' or teacher pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 10:13 AM

1,938 posts, read 2,864,939 times
You can't rank an entire state with labor force data. Our country has pockets of "high IQ" populations based on the numbers and types of jobs available. This concentration usually occurs in large metro areas and cities, is comprised of tech/engineering and biomedical research, and has a majority that received their college degrees elsewhere.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:50 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,520,622 times
IQ is no indicator of intelligence.

I know that I am very smart when it comes to building connections between abstract concepts or applying abstract theories into practice. However, I am dumb as rocks when it comes to spatial relations, geometry, or anything mechanical. I also fail at spreadsheets and anything that requires an attention to detail. In terms of language skills, I know a lot (I think I'm a good writer, and I speak four languages), but learning it was long, hard struggle.

So, I am a person who is in many ways more intelligent than average, in many ways less intelligent than average, and I try hard to learn things that interest me, even if I'm not naturally gifted in those areas. I don't think one multiple-choice test can capture that complexity. Further, if one test cannot capture that complexity at the micro level of the individual, it certainly cannot indicate "intelligence" on the macro level of a state.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:58 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,603,522 times
Lived in number 5 on this list (Minnesota) and 48 on this list (California). If it weren't for this list I wouldn't be aware that such a big difference existed between them.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:34 AM

10,582 posts, read 14,373,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
IQ is no indicator of intelligence.

I know that I am very smart when it comes to building connections between abstract concepts or applying abstract theories into practice. However, I am dumb as rocks when it comes to spatial relations, geometry, or anything mechanical. I also fail at spreadsheets and anything that requires an attention to detail. In terms of language skills, I know a lot (I think I'm a good writer, and I speak four languages), but learning it was long, hard struggle.

So, I am a person who is in many ways more intelligent than average, in many ways less intelligent than average, and I try hard to learn things that interest me, even if I'm not naturally gifted in those areas. I don't think one multiple-choice test can capture that complexity. Further, if one test cannot capture that complexity at the micro level of the individual, it certainly cannot indicate "intelligence" on the macro level of a state.
I agree with a lot of your post, however a real IQ test (as opposed to those online things) consists of a series of tests. They are designed to test the different areas of intelligence and it is quite possible to score very high in some areas while scoring much lower in others.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:54 PM

87,062 posts, read 102,770,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Lived in number 5 on this list (Minnesota) and 48 on this list (California). If it weren't for this list I wouldn't be aware that such a big difference existed between them.
I think this whole premise is bunk. There's no link to the OP, just these numbers. There's no indication where they came from. There are probably more differences among people in one state (say, Minnesota) than among the collective people from two different states, say MN and CA.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:54 AM

177 posts, read 153,467 times
Using an IQ test to determine whether one is 'smart', proves conclusively that you aren't. If you have misunderstood what IQ is before you've started the tests, you've already failed them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or