U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 12:42 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,216,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I don't get why people care so much. This says nothing about individuals. You can still be an idiot from Massachusetts and a genius from Mississippi.
It speaks volumes for regions across the US. I guess people could just remain uninformed as to what areas of the US need improvement in their school systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 12:42 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,154,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Ok, I'll address the white elephant in the room...What's up with the southern states? Sh*t!
In a nutshell, it's because the rural non-metropolitan counties are REALLY bad. They drag down the numbers for entire States.

It's all about funding. Wealthy suburban & urban districts have a huge advantage over the rural Counties.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:45 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,566,974 times
Quote:
It speaks volumes for regions across the US. I guess people could just remain uninformed as to what areas of the US need improvement in their school systems.
Well, considering that no state is even close to below average, I'm not sure this is matters. Additionally, IQ tests are rather controversial.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:57 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,273,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
In a nutshell, it's because the rural non-metropolitan counties are REALLY bad. They drag down the numbers for entire States.

It's all about funding. Wealthy suburban & urban districts have a huge advantage over the rural Counties.
I'm very curious as to how the numbers were calculated and where exactly the data came from...and actually, where the list came from...

Old 01-24-2009, 01:11 PM

34,691 posts, read 33,695,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I love how people try to reason why their states ranked so low. "It wouldn't be this way if..."

It is what it is people.
The problem is we don't know what it is...people. You didn't give a link so we could tell how they came up with the locations. I took my IQ test in NY when I was 12. I'm 57. No one has ever asked me for my IQ score in the subsequent 45 years when I lived in DC or MD or TN. I live in Tennessee with a different name than when I took my test in NY. Where am I being counted, in Tennessee or NY? If I took my test in NY and I'm being counted there, how does that make my state, Tennessee, have a higher or lower average IQ? Or maybe it's just "People Who Took An IQ Test in 2008" that gets averaged meaning probably none of the people who are posting in this thread contributed to the ranking of their states.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:33 PM

181 posts, read 789,670 times
What I'm saying is this....

Mass is mostly urban/suburban. It's tiny in that way.

Cal and Tex and IL have urban but also huge areas of rural. It's different dynamics.

If you don't see how this makes a difference, you must be from one of those bottom states...jk! But seriously, if you just looked at Dallas/Houston/Austin, or LA/SD/SF, the numbers would be much different!!!

Old 01-24-2009, 01:36 PM

181 posts, read 789,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Well, considering that no state is even close to below average, I'm not sure this is matters. Additionally, IQ tests are rather controversial.
Average IQ is by definition 100 dude.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:37 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,242,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
What I'm saying is this....

Mass is mostly urban/suburban. It's tiny in that way.

Cal and Tex and IL have urban but also huge areas of rural. It's different dynamics.

If you don't see how this makes a difference, you must be from one of those bottom states...jk! But seriously, if you just looked at Dallas/Houston/Austin, or LA/SD/SF, the numbers would be much different!!!
Mass is pretty rural once you get to the central/western region. At least to someone who's from a city.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:46 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,566,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
Average IQ is by definition 100 dude.
The absolute average is 100, but average IQ is the range 85-115. It's called a standard deviation dude.

Thought I'd add this to reinforce the idea that everyone's state is average:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_reference_chart

Last edited by ainulinale; 01-24-2009 at 03:03 PM..

Old 01-24-2009, 03:38 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,971,762 times
Default I was going to post that

Quote:
the IQ rankings seem to mirror the states educational rankings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or