U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 01:31 PM

21,367 posts, read 19,297,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo85 View Post

This post is coming from Heaven since I'm dead.

Detroit is located on River, while yes it does have some gloom,it still has a vibrant feel.

Detroit is inappropriate for me on so many levels. Glad you like it there, but I sure wouldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 01:35 PM

1,524 posts, read 3,458,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
Hallo Neuling!

Honestly I am shocked at some of the advice people are giving here. I am sorry but I would not honestly reccomend ANY city south of the Dixie for you. I study a lot on German culture and its urban structure and I think the Americans here don't realize what one would consider "walkable" in America is unacceptable by European standards.

Aside from that I would honestly reccommend Seattle or Portland. Both are near mountains and stunning views with a very green scene as well. People tend to be open and liberal minded. The climate is mild. Seattle is more diverse but both are diverse. Portland is the most walkable city in the USA and Seattle is great as well. You wouldn't need a car in either.(Granted you live in a good area in Seattle)

Honestly everything you want can be summed up by the pacific northwest I believe.

Not sure if you are into sports but this is where soccer(Fussball) is also most popular in the USA. (It's a plus for me, I can't stand American football)

As a midwesterner, I hope to move out there someday too.
I'm going to agree, but say that you do not have to live in the city to have regular public transport. It is something pretty cool about this area that even semi-rural or rural towns tend to have bus service. Good luck with that period in most parts of the Midwest. My husband is a German and very happy out here in semi-rural western Washington. He never wants to move back to the Midwest.

Stateisota, as a Hoosier who sure as heck never wants to return to Indiana, I hope you escape to here soon. This was one of the absolute best decisions I have ever made. It is drop dead gorgeous here, especially in the summer. It is more expensive, but you get what you pay for, IMO.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:46 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,706,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Detroit is inappropriate for me on so many levels. Glad you like it there, but I sure wouldn't.
Too bad and yes I really do like it. My favorite reason of why I like the area is the great diversity of cultures from all around the world. From Ethnic restaurants(Iraqi,Yemani, Lebanese, Egyptian, Bangladeshi, Pakistani, Polish, French, Belgian, German,Greek, Bosnian, Serbian,Turkish, ect...) to festivals ranging from cultural too music.

Also has excellent areas to ride a bicycle.Cycling in Detroit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I want to take a break from life, I just go Upnorth for weekend getaways. Western part of the state has Sandy, grassy beaches. Upper Peninsula has sprawling forests from East to West and gives a good treat to the eye when Fall season comes. Plus the Northern Lights can be observed from there.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo85 View Post
Too bad and yes I really do like it. My favorite reason of why I like the area is the great diversity of cultures from all around the world. From Ethnic restaurants(Iraqi,Yemani, Lebanese, Egyptian, Bangladeshi, Pakistani, Polish, French, Belgian, German,Greek, Bosnian, Serbian,Turkish, ect...) to festivals ranging from cultural too music.

Also has excellent areas to ride a bicycle.Cycling in Detroit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I want to take a break from life, I just go Upnorth for weekend getaways. Western part of the state has Sandy, grassy beaches. Upper Peninsula has sprawling forests from East to West and gives a good treat to the eye when Fall season comes. Plus the Northern Lights can be observed from there.
"Detroit Non-Motorized Master Plan", not bad

Still, I would not be happy in Detroit, too big, too gloomy, too crime-ridden...
If any place in the Midwest/Rustbelt, it would be Cincinnati I guess.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:43 PM

39 posts, read 160,007 times
What are the cities who's public is mostly interested in football (soccer)?

Old 11-14-2011, 01:46 PM

Maybe where there are lots of Latinos And where the soccer league teams are from
Major League Soccer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-15-2011, 09:27 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,409,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by der titan View Post

Seattle
Los Angeles
Vancouver
Toronto

Old 11-15-2011, 02:03 PM

I was just exploring central Illinois and had to laugh when I saw this:
Google Maps
Keep dreaming, Decatur

Old 11-15-2011, 07:41 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,224,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by der titan View Post
Anywhere with good turnout for their MLS teams: Seattle, Philadelphia, and Portland are the ones that come to mind first. They have some of the best supporters groups in MLS.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:14 AM

19 posts, read 49,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Hi, I am new on City-Data

Now that Obama is your new president, I have entered the current Green Card lottery. The winners will be contacted no sooner than July, but I have already begun analyzing your country, just in case

I know there are certain regions where immigrants traditionally like moving to, for instance California or New York. But I don't think those would be good places for me, the former requires driving a car (which I don't), the latter is too big a place for me (I am from a small town in Bavaria, Germany). Also, I don't think there is a point moving to a place that is already overcrowded and struggling with water and power shortages etc.

Here's what's important to me is:
- friendly people (I know people are individuals, but still, even in Germany there are friendlier regions and others that I simply would not recommend to an immigrant)
- good mix of minorities (so the Dakotas and places like those probably wouldn't appeal to me. If I wanted to live in a white place, I might as well stay in Europe )
- pedestrian-friendly with sidewalks, and possibly with train connections to other parts of the country
- green, if possible with mountains nearby (the Appalachian mountains look great to me. I don't care about beaches, nor about glitzy skylines.)
- need I mention I am not too fond of crime, hurricanes etc.

Since I am a freelancer working for clients around the globe, I could move almost anywhere as long as I have Internet access.

This site is really great, must have been a lot of work compiling all this information

Wow I have been to Germany. Let me explain something to you, everything you see on TV about the USA is not true. Its not this glamorous place that you imagine, its not NYC. We are nothing like Germany, what I noticed in Germany was there were tons of trains and amazing public transit and all the buildings were so beautiful and clean. That is NOT how it is in the USA. Just stay in Germany, you wont have the life you are living there, over here. We have so much poverty, and slums, ghetto's and homelessness. I spent time in Augsburg, Stuttgart, Ulm, Munich, Erlangen, Nuremburg and visited a few other places. I also lived in Germany for 2 years, and my dream is to LEAVE the USA and live in Germany. Too bad they didn't accept my VISA. You're very, very, very lucky to live in Germany. Don't take it for granted, sober up and look around, all you see in Germany is immigrants. They're living there for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or