U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 01:26 PM

4,570 posts, read 6,562,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
How about places like Roanoke or Lynchburg, Virginia? They are a lot smaller than those famous cities, do locals welcome strangers there or are they more like closed communities?

Usually the college town are more welcoming than other small cities. I'm not sure about Roanoke or Lynchburg. I have never been there..... or heard of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 01:28 PM

21,626 posts, read 19,402,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Hahaha Yes, Spenser: For Hire was filmed and set in Boston. "Cheers" is probably the most famous TV show based in Boston, but "Boston Legal,"
"Boston Public," "Ally McBeal," and a host of others were set there including the movies, "The Departed," "Goodwill Hunting," "Gone Baby Gone" etc. In "Pink Panther 2" with Steve Martin was filmed in Boston as it was cheaper to use some of the city's neighborhoods as stand-ins for Paris than it was to shoot on site.

It's a great city. The folks in the Boston sub-forum of the Massachusetts thread can answer your more specific questions.

Pedestrian scale and the ability to live without a car are problems for the United States, but Boston is one of the few places that this isn't true. In fact, it's VERY difficult to have a car in Boston as there's nowhere to put it. It's about as old as American cities come so the street grid has a European feel as it's not a perfect, planned grid. There are fantastic markets and public spaces and getting around without a car is ideal.

It's at least worth researching.

If you're looking for something a bit warmer than Germany, Boston may not be the place (the climate is similar to the Northern coast of Germany) for you. Washington D.C. and San Francisco are a bit more temperate (but certainly not tropical) and also have the pedestrian and mass-transit options you're looking for.

Good luck!
Thank you
No, I don't care too much about the climate, I am not the beach boy kind of guy Where I grew up we used to have -20 F in the winter and lots of snow, but it is milder there nowadays.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:34 PM

21,626 posts, read 19,402,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I would strongly advise staying in Europe. Your social services are much better than the US and employment is going to be very tough for the US AND Europe.
Currently I live in Portugal, you would not want to depend on social services or the health system here, either, believe me.
Apart from that, I am a mid-aged man, it would probably be the last big challenge in my life, an adventure. I know about the economic problems, but as I said, I don't depend on a local employer, nor would I steal an American's job or anything. Don't you ever feel like taking a risk?

Old 01-24-2009, 01:37 PM

16,437 posts, read 19,186,268 times
Of course. Go for it and good luck. Texas may be the best chance for a job at present, but jobs are drying up everywhere fast..

Old 01-24-2009, 02:42 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,479,372 times
i would say boston

Old 01-24-2009, 06:31 PM

5,729 posts, read 9,113,036 times
Kansas City. It meets all of your criteria except for the lack of crime. But if you live in a suburb and not in the city you'll be in a safe area.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:01 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,601,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
How about places like Roanoke or Lynchburg, Virginia? They are a lot smaller than those famous cities, do locals welcome strangers there or are they more like closed communities?
Those places may meet most of your requirements except they would be very difficult to live in without a car. Like another poster pointed out this will greatly limit your choice of communities in the U.S.. Most smaller towns like these have no or very limited public transit but are spread out over a much larger area than an equally populated town in Europe would be.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:49 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,145,660 times
Hackensack, NJ

VERY Diverse, close to NYC, close to mountains (or big hills, appalachian), considerably cheap for being in Bergen County, very diverse city build for a small sq. mialage (mansions in some areas to blue collar in another to huge apartment buildings somewhere else), good transportation, and not too bad of crime.

The only thing thats not so great is the High School, that school always had problems.. that whole location isn't too great (First st. area). But some really nice people are there though also. Its the black area of the city.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:50 PM

1,196 posts, read 4,347,394 times
If you are looking for small towns, I would look at college towns. Look at:

Eugene, Oregon
Davis, California
Santa Cruz, California
Austin, Texas
Boulder, Colorado
Ithaca, New York
etc

Old 01-24-2009, 11:11 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,931,833 times
Hang up a map of MD or VA and let the darts (3 darts) fly and re-post those cities when you have them. You're coming from Europe so you should be in better shape than the average American. MD's a small state but it should have everything you need (technically 1 but I say 2 major cities) like some beach area and outdoorsy mountain area close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or