Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 10:48 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times

Advertisements

Honestly, without a car, I don't think you would've done too well in about 95% of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 12:55 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Yes, I know, everybody keeps telling me that, but I've hated cars ever since I was hit by one

At least most people on this board seem OK, thus I'll keep hanging around

Old 07-10-2009, 06:10 PM

61 posts, read 79,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
What's so funny about that, greyfox?
That's like saying, "Now that Robert Mugabe is in power, I think I'll emigrate to Rhodesia".

I swear, you Euros are even more naive than Canadians.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:47 PM

Don't drink and think

Old 10-27-2011, 02:12 PM

Almost two years later...

Currently, after a lot of research and reading, these three cities top my list:

Dubuque, Iowa,
Winona, Minnesota
Lacrosse, Wisconsin

Not sure yet which one I would pick if I had to. They are of similar size, located along the same stretch of the Mississippi river, thus similar climate, vegetation and landscape... All three of them look very orderly, inviting, and green by US standards, with lots of sidewalks for pedestrians

Any inside tips or warnings on any of them? Since they are located in three different states, any drawbacks with any of those states?

Old 10-28-2011, 05:02 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
I'd say either the Northeast or Upper Midwest, and especially the Great Lakes region. Cities like Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, and New York.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I'd say either the Northeast or Upper Midwest, and especially the Great Lakes region. Cities like Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, and New York.
Cleveland, Detroit You want to see me dead, eh? All those cities would be too gloomy and depressing for me, I need lots of green in and around my city, plus a river. No skyscrapers...
All those cities you mentioned are way too big, thus my short list above...

Is any of those three small cities I mentioned above prone to flooding?

Old 10-29-2011, 06:51 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

Any inside tips or warnings on any of them? Since they are located in three different states, any drawbacks with any of those states?
German in Wisconsin here, I think I am qualified to give you my opinion. In general: Those are all small cities, so you would definitely need a car if you move there. Otherwise you will have to use a very limited public transportation network. Not fun. Especially not in winter. So no chance for a pedestrian lifestyle.
All those cities are in the upper Midwest. The climate is not similar to central Europe at all. The summers are very humid and in winter temperatures below -20°C are the rule, not the exception. Oftentimes it drops below -30 and even -40 with windchill. It can physically hurt to be outdoors sometimes. There are many months where there is snow on the ground. Sometimes it snows as late as June or as early as September and once the snows melts it takes at least until late May for the grass to become green again (it is brown-ish during winter). Dubuque is probably slightly milder than the other two.
All three of them are not really known for being metropolises. Not sure what you are into, and I haven't been to them personally, but for me they would be too far off the beaten path. I am assuming there is not much more than your typical strip mall, chain restaurants, a movie theater and a handful bars. Chicago and Milwaukee are at least a 3 hour drive from Dubuque, a bit more from LaCrosse, and the twin cities are 3 hours from Winona as well. So keep that in mind, also regarding flights back home.
From my experience, all the mid-sized midwestern towns are a lot more depressing and "gloomy" as you called it, than big cities like Milwaukee or Minny. The really small towns are nice and charming, but medium-sized... I would think twice about moving there. Why not choose a nice small town closer to a big city? For example, Cedarburg, WI, is really nice, but only 30 mins from Milwaukee.
I have heard of floodings along the Mississippi River, but am not sure whether any of those cities was flooded.

If you really want to make the move, you should check out the job oppourtinities first which can be rather limited in small midwestern towns.

Last edited by Rob702; 10-29-2011 at 07:12 AM..

Old 10-29-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
German in Wisconsin here, I think I am qualified to give you my opinion. In general: Those are all small cities, so you would definitely need a car if you move there. Otherwise you will have to use a very limited public transportation network. Not fun. Especially not in winter. So no chance for a pedestrian lifestyle.
All those cities are in the upper Midwest. The climate is not similar to central Europe at all. The summers are very humid and in winter temperatures below -20°C are the rule, not the exception. Oftentimes it drops below -30 and even -40 with windchill. It can physically hurt to be outdoors sometimes. There are many months where there is snow on the ground. Sometimes it snows as late as June or as early as September and once the snows melts it takes at least until late May for the grass to become green again (it is brown-ish during winter). Dubuque is probably slightly milder than the other two.
All three of them are not really known for being metropolises. Not sure what you are into, and I haven't been to them personally, but for me they would be too far off the beaten path. I am assuming there is not much more than your typical strip mall, chain restaurants, a movie theater and a handful bars. Chicago and Milwaukee are at least a 3 hour drive from Dubuque, a bit more from LaCrosse, and the twin cities are 3 hours from Winona as well. So keep that in mind, also regarding flights back home.
From my experience, all the mid-sized midwestern towns are a lot more depressing and "gloomy" as you called it, than big cities like Milwaukee or Minny. The really small towns are nice and charming, but medium-sized... I would think twice about moving there. Why not choose a nice small town closer to a big city? For example, Cedarburg, WI, is really nice, but only 30 mins from Milwaukee.
I have heard of floodings along the Mississippi River, but am not sure whether any of those cities was flooded.

If you really want to make the move, you should check out the job oppourtinities first which can be rather limited in small midwestern towns.
Thanks for the reply.

I am a freelancer, I don't need an employer, so I could move anywhere as long as I have access to the Internet.

One reason I wouldn't want to be so close to a big city is crime. Small towns close to big cities also tend to lack the central character that a city in the middle of nowhere, such as Dubuque, has.
Temps are no problem. If others survive, so would I After all, there are people from Latin America and African-Americans living in Dubuque, so why would a northern such as myself not survive?

Winona is very compact by the way, a bit like Manhattan because it is pretty much surrounded by water. It is a college town, so probably rather open and progressive for its size. It has the mildest climate in all of MN.

winona mn - Google Maps

LaCrosse is similar to Winona, but about twice as big, but also compact by US standards, because it is locked between those bluffs and the Mississippi river.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=la+cro...onsin&t=h&z=13

Both cities have an Amtrak station with daily connections to Chicago.

And even Dubuque will get a train connection to Chicago in 2014 I read somewhere...But it is more spread out so maybe I would indeed need a car there, i.e. it would drop from my list

Old 10-29-2011, 02:11 PM

679 posts, read 660,732 times
Hallo Neuling!

Honestly I am shocked at some of the advice people are giving here. I am sorry but I would not honestly reccomend ANY city south of the Dixie for you. I study a lot on German culture and its urban structure and I think the Americans here don't realize what one would consider "walkable" in America is unacceptable by European standards.

Aside from that I would honestly reccommend Seattle or Portland. Both are near mountains and stunning views with a very green scene as well. People tend to be open and liberal minded. The climate is mild. Seattle is more diverse but both are diverse. Portland is the most walkable city in the USA and Seattle is great as well. You wouldn't need a car in either.(Granted you live in a good area in Seattle)

Honestly everything you want can be summed up by the pacific northwest I believe.

Not sure if you are into sports but this is where soccer(Fussball) is also most popular in the USA. (It's a plus for me, I can't stand American football)

As a midwesterner, I hope to move out there someday too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.