Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 12:58 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times

Advertisements

Atlanta, Georgia
Knoxville, Tennessee
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 12:58 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Boston is smaller than New York but still relatively close to New York (3.5 hours by train, 45 minutes by plane)... easily accessible by train, plane, or car if you ever need to go.

Boston is one of the more densely populated cities in the U.S. and is very compact. It's VERY pedestrian friendly and there's an excellent subway and other mass transit options like bus, local commuter rail trains and national long-distance rail roads (Amtrak). The airport is 2 subway stops from downtown so you can easily get there from your home without any driving.

Also, the subway and commuter rail trains in Boston can get you from the city to beaches and ski areas so you won't even need a car to get away for a little while. Ferries quickly get you to places like Cape Cod and other vacation spots. The city is close to the Appalachian Mountains as well as on the ocean.

Many people say Boston is set up and functions more like a European city than any other in the U.S. It's also VERY diverse and relatively safe for a city of its size. It seems to fit every description on your checklist.

Besides Boston, Washington D.C. and San Francisco have good Mass transit and a pedestrian friendly nature. Philadelphia and Chicago work well in that regard as well but MAY be a bit larger than what you're looking for.
Hm, Boston, I must admit I would not have thought of that, I will check it out That is the place where the TV series Spenser was shot, right?

Old 01-24-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
YAY!!!!! ANOTHER GERMAN!

LOL, anyway back on topic.

Generally, the Northeast has larger German population than the rest of the country.

Besides New York City and Boston, I would also recommend Washington, D.C., Seattle, Houston, Atlanta, and Baltimore.

If you want to live in a smaller city, then I would recommend Ithaca, Stanford, Burlington, Athens, and Charleston.
Have you been to those places? Houston is not really pedestrian-friendly, is it?

Old 01-24-2009, 01:05 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,498,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Have you been to those places? Houston is not really pedestrian-friendly, is it?

Yes I have.

As a whole, Houston is very spread, just like Atlanta. However, both of the city's intown neighborhoods are the most pedestrian friendly parts.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:06 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,893,685 times
Quote:
Any reason why you didn't recommend Omaha?
Umm, yes! Lack of mountains, mostly white city, and it's not very walkable and public transit blows.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:09 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:

I know there are certain regions where immigrants traditionally like moving to, for instance California or New York.
There are very good reasons for that.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:15 PM

How about places like Roanoke or Lynchburg, Virginia? They are a lot smaller than those famous cities, do locals welcome strangers there or are they more like closed communities?

Old 01-24-2009, 01:16 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Hm, Boston, I must admit I would not have thought of that, I will check it out That is the place where the TV series Spenser was shot, right?
Hahaha Yes, Spenser: For Hire was filmed and set in Boston. "Cheers" is probably the most famous TV show based in Boston, but "Boston Legal,"
"Boston Public," "Ally McBeal," and a host of others were set there including the movies, "The Departed," "Goodwill Hunting," "Gone Baby Gone" etc. In "Pink Panther 2" with Steve Martin was filmed in Boston as it was cheaper to use some of the city's neighborhoods as stand-ins for Paris than it was to shoot on site.

It's a great city. The folks in the Boston sub-forum of the Massachusetts thread can answer your more specific questions.

Pedestrian scale and the ability to live without a car are problems for the United States, but Boston is one of the few places that this isn't true. In fact, it's VERY difficult to have a car in Boston as there's nowhere to put it. It's about as old as American cities come so the street grid has a European feel as it's not a perfect, planned grid. There are fantastic markets and public spaces and getting around without a car is ideal.

It's at least worth researching.

If you're looking for something a bit warmer than Germany, Boston may not be the place (the climate is similar to the Northern coast of Germany) for you. Washington D.C. and San Francisco are a bit more temperate (but certainly not tropical) and also have the pedestrian and mass-transit options you're looking for.

Good luck!

Old 01-24-2009, 01:21 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
I would strongly advise staying in Europe. Your social services are much better than the US and employment is going to be very tough for the US AND Europe.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:21 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Oh, I forgot to add, if Boston is still too big, look into Providence, Rhode Island.

Unlike Europe, most of the United States' smaller cities are less compact and offer little for the pedestrian. Providence is an exception. It's close to Boston and on the primary rail lines (easy access to Boston and New York City and beyond). It has a good bus system and a compact downtown with some nice neighborhoods. It's home to some prestigious colleges and universities (Brown University, Rhode Island School of Design, and Providence College) and it's also right on the Ocean and not far from the mountains.

The population of Providence is just under 200,000 people. It has a fairly diverse population and offers a good deal in the way of arts, culture and dining.

Again, it's worth researching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.