U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is your favorite college town??
Ithaca, New York 8 6.78%
Cambridge, Massachusetts 14 11.86%
Princeton, New Jersey 6 5.08%
New Haven, Connecticut 7 5.93%
Pal Alto, California 4 3.39%
Athens, Georgia 7 5.93%
Gainsville, Florida 9 7.63%
Austin, Texas 20 16.95%
Charlottesville, Virginia 7 5.93%
Ann Arbor, Michigan 12 10.17%
Columbia, South Carolina 2 1.69%
Ames, Iowa 4 3.39%
Amherst, Massachusetts 2 1.69%
College Park, Maryland 4 3.39%
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 8 6.78%
Other 47 39.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 09:14 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,026,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
New Haven isn't a college town. It's a pretty large corporate center in the NY Metropolitan area.
I haven't been there in a while, but in the 80's it was a scary slum, with a cute little street for the colllege students. Yale was lovely, but it was surrounded by plight and poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 11:35 AM

334 posts, read 1,180,561 times
To add to the "Weither Austin is a College town or not" debate, the city that most reminds me of Austin in is Colombus. Both cities are really large enough to not be called "college towns", but the respective schools(OSU,UT)hold a huge sway on the cities and are one of the most important ascpects of each cities life. In fact, I've always described Austin as "Columbus with a Southwestern flair."

Old 01-28-2009, 06:37 PM

880 posts, read 2,533,021 times
Many of those residence halls at West GA only have about 100 to 150 students in them. I was in Downs Hall which was one of the larger ones and we still had less than 200 students living there.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:35 PM

18,659 posts, read 27,113,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Have you been to Waco??? Waco is in no way based around Baylor and many people would back me up on this. Many people don't even know Baylor is even in Waco. You obviously think you know too much, because Waco is not and has never been a college town.
Yes, I been to Waco. Countless times. The problem is that you think everybody doesn't know as much as you and you're too sensitive when people have a disagreement with you. Waco is much more of a college town than Austin is at the present moment. That does not mean I am calling Waco a college town. I don't care anyway since the discussion was about Austin which is in every way more of a city than Waco. Waco's economy is mostly based around Baylor and sorry to say is because there isn't much up there because it's not even remotely a big city or even a medium sized city. The population of Waco is just over 120,000 and most of that is Baylor alumnus. Many people do indeed know Baylor is in Waco.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:40 PM

18,659 posts, read 27,113,557 times
Quote:
You contradict yourself a lot. Your usually always the one to throw out metro area, not your using city population??? Atlanta's metro area dwarfs Austin's metro area. Like I stated before, adding more housing dosen't mean a school isn't a commuter school. Also you bring up HBCU's, what's your point????
Notice how I said "cities". That should have gave you a hint that I was comparing city muncipalities against each other. Nowhere did I contradict myself. And you want to talk about people not knowing more about your city than you do because you lived there. I don't think you know more than DeaconJ about what's in Atlanta than he does considering he lived there and he went to school there. And in that "city", Atlanta has four black colleges and two other universities. So in that "city", you could call that a college town as well, right? Like Austin, there's more industries and a diverse economy outside of just the colleges. Same cannot be said for Charlottesville, Madison, Athens, and such.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:56 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,272,976 times
Ann Arbor is a wonderful college town. Nothing beats hanging out there on a nice fall football Saturday.

Boulder is also a pretty cool college town

Old 01-29-2009, 01:31 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,289,554 times
Quote:
GSU is a commuter school, building up on-campus housing does not make a school a true university. University of Houston is doing the same thing and that school is a commuter school. I doubt GSU is as live as UT at night.
GSU is not a commuter school...sorry, abut it just isn't. On-campus housing is EXACTLY what defines the difference in commuter and non-commuter campuses. GSU has had a master plan for about 2 decades that includes adding residence halls and creating a more vibrant campus - and that's exactly what has happened.

I'm not sure what your definition of a "true university" is, and I'm not sure I want to know. I'm not sure where the comparison between GSU and UT came from either...I know it didn't come from me...but...whatever.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:25 PM

1,512 posts, read 7,275,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
austin's not really a college town anymore.
Neither is Columbia, SC.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:34 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,721,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
GSU is not a commuter school...sorry, abut it just isn't. On-campus housing is EXACTLY what defines the difference in commuter and non-commuter campuses. GSU has had a master plan for about 2 decades that includes adding residence halls and creating a more vibrant campus - and that's exactly what has happened.

I'm not sure what your definition of a "true university" is, and I'm not sure I want to know. I'm not sure where the comparison between GSU and UT came from either...I know it didn't come from me...but...whatever.
Very bad definition to define what a non-commuter school is. On-Campus housing dosen't automatically make a school a non-commuter school.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:38 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,721,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yes, I been to Waco. Countless times. The problem is that you think everybody doesn't know as much as you and you're too sensitive when people have a disagreement with you. Waco is much more of a college town than Austin is at the present moment. That does not mean I am calling Waco a college town. I don't care anyway since the discussion was about Austin which is in every way more of a city than Waco. Waco's economy is mostly based around Baylor and sorry to say is because there isn't much up there because it's not even remotely a big city or even a medium sized city. The population of Waco is just over 120,000 and most of that is Baylor alumnus. Many people do indeed know Baylor is in Waco.
No it's not about me being sensitive, it is just that I know Waco and know it isn't a college town and I can guarantee you many people would agree with me on this. Many people think Baylor is located in Houston and most of the 120k people living in Waco is not Baylor alumnus, I don't know where you got that from but it is very wrong. This is one subject your very wrong on, Austin is a college town, it's nightlife and events center around UT. People who attend Baylor go to Austin for nightlife and fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or