U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your ideal outdoor temperature?
85 degrees Fahrenheit 28 9.72%
83 degrees Fahrenheit 16 5.56%
80 degrees Fahrenheit 33 11.46%
75 degrees Fahrenheit 67 23.26%
70 degrees Fahrenheit 62 21.53%
65 degrees Fahrenheit 43 14.93%
60 degrees Fahrenheit 21 7.29%
50 degrees Fahrenheit 11 3.82%
40 degrees Fahrenheit 4 1.39%
30 degrees Fahrenheit 1 0.35%
20 degrees Fahrenheit 2 0.69%
as few degrees Fahrenheit as possible(wow explain why) 0 0%
Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 12:40 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,471,932 times

Advertisements

Around mid 80s. Great temp for being outdoors. Usually at that temp, the low temp is in the low 70s which is comfortable sleeping weather with windows open and maybe a fan. It will slowly warm but by late afternoon it is in the low 80s and at night you can still walk around with shorts and shirt until you go home and sleep and it is comfortable weather for open windows.

If the weather is in 90s, it gets too hot to be in direct sunlight at night it is comfortable but you have to turn on AC cuz it is still too warm to sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 05:18 PM

3,539 posts, read 1,513,328 times
My #1 ideal temperature is 85. I love it and can enjoy many more outdoor activities at that temp. BUT, as long as I can dress properly, I can pretty much adjust to most temps, hot or cold. I just don't like the big extremes: The blast furnace of Phoenix and Arctic Circle Minneapolis. Everything in between, I'm fine!

Old 11-24-2017, 10:50 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,720,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
-Exercising/Working: Shade 55F; Sun 50F

-Standing/walking: Shade 65F; Sun 60F

-Laying around at the park/beach: Shade 75F; Sun 70F

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
How the heck do you survive the summers here? On that note, how the heck do I survive the winters here?
Those are just the temperatures at which I am most comfortable. As for the summer, I adapt. I don't find 80s-100s comfortable, but I have mostly worked outside or in hot conditions (brewery) in the summers.

The problem with most people who say they have to move to Phoenix or Florida, or can't stand certain weather is that they just spend more time focusing on their discomfort and whining about it than actually adapting to it.

For example, if they dislike cold, they start wearing coats and jacking up the thermostat in September instead of actually allowing cool air to touch their skin so their metabolism can trigger the necessary changes to make those temperatures tolerable (if not pleasant).

Same thing for people who wilt when the mercury gets above 80. They start sitting in the A/C way too early. I wait until my house interior gets into the mid 80s before I even turn on my swamp cooler and I go hiking on the hottest days of the year.

People need to toughen themselves up like we did in the 100,000 years of human existence before on-demand heat/cold became the norm 50 years ago.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:18 PM

706 posts, read 512,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Those are just the temperatures at which I am most comfortable. As for the summer, I adapt. I don't find 80s-100s comfortable, but I have mostly worked outside or in hot conditions (brewery) in the summers.

The problem with most people who say they have to move to Phoenix or Florida, or can't stand certain weather is that they just spend more time focusing on their discomfort and whining about it than actually adapting to it.

For example, if they dislike cold, they start wearing coats and jacking up the thermostat in September instead of actually allowing cool air to touch their skin so their metabolism can trigger the necessary changes to make those temperatures tolerable (if not pleasant).

Same thing for people who wilt when the mercury gets above 80. They start sitting in the A/C way too early. I wait until my house interior gets into the mid 80s before I even turn on my swamp cooler and I go hiking on the hottest days of the year.
I would so love to be able to take the cold like that in stride; I merely tolerate it, but hiking like that in 100 is my bread and butter! Surprisingly, I didn't kick on the furnace until after that first freeze.

Quote:
People need to toughen themselves up like we did in the 100,000 years of human existence before on-demand heat/cold became the norm 50 years ago.
Unfortunately, there are a million-fold more of us than in 102,000 BCE, that we completely run the genetic gambit now, including (most, I assume) peoples who are thermally "toughened", and those who are preferential to one or the other (and probably some who can stand neither). We apparently show some resilience judging by the known extremes of the climate of NM. If I couldn't take the cold with the hot, I'd be in Phoenix too!

Old 11-24-2017, 08:07 PM

2,865 posts, read 1,252,670 times
In the spring: 50 F and partly cloudy

In the summer: 65-70 F and cloudy.

In the fall: 45 F-60 F

In the winter: Under 32 F and snowing

Old 11-25-2017, 04:21 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,720,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
I would so love to be able to take the cold like that in stride; I merely tolerate it, but hiking like that in 100 is my bread and butter! Surprisingly, I didn't kick on the furnace until after that first freeze.

Unfortunately, there are a million-fold more of us than in 102,000 BCE, that we completely run the genetic gambit now, including (most, I assume) peoples who are thermally "toughened", and those who are preferential to one or the other (and probably some who can stand neither).
Yeah, but I'm not talking about 100,000 BC, per se, but the fact that as recently as the 1960s a lot of people in New Mexico were getting by with the same technology, heating with firewood and staying cool in the shade.

It's only the last 40-50 years that everyone has A/C, a gas furnace and Northface parkas.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:30 PM

183 posts, read 163,387 times
50F is my ideal temperature (if I had to choose only one temperature) because it is not too hot or not cold and it is perfect hiking and walking weather for me.

I do like 4 seasons so I like to see some variety:

Spring: 60s for highs/40s for lows
Summer:75-85F for highs (and preferably not a lot of humidity)/ the upper 50s and lower 60s for lows
Fall: 50s and lower 60s for highs/30s and 40s for lows
Winter: 30s and 40s for highs/ teens and lower 20s for lows with several chances of winter weather

Old 11-25-2017, 07:08 PM

3,784 posts, read 2,997,433 times
The temperature at which air conditioning is most commonly set (in fact, I believe, the ideal recommended temperature by health experts for daytime is 72*). If nothing else, 72 has become commonly recognized as "air conditioning temperature" perhaps more than any other single degree, given it's status as a not round number. I believe sleeping temperature for that setting is considered between 64-75 (so, were getting a rough idea).

Meanwhile, science experts have also found that optimal temperature for peak athletic performance for elite athletes generally occurs at 52*. Human happiness actually peaks at 57* too (who knew?).

I love doing workouts and physical fitness related stuff outside, but generally being outside too (hammocking, etc.). So, my ideal temperature is 62*, the middle ground between doing and being. If I were to pick a year round city to live based upon what I like weather-wise as "ideal", it would be Auckland, New Zealand.

That being said, I do like some degree of variety too. Up to 85* can still be tolerable if it isn't for an extended period of time (goes down to 60s at night). Being too hot sometimes gives perspective, and cleans the pores, I find. Also, I like seasonal changes, and I like cold sometimes too, so down to 40* can be comfortable with a jacket/jeans (in fact I like the fashions these temps allow for), and even down to 20* I don't especially mind, since snow can be quite beautiful. I just don't like really hot for long periods.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:35 AM

2,695 posts, read 985,647 times
I'd say mid to high 70s with a light breeze in the air.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:04 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 15 days ago)

8,675 posts, read 10,831,402 times
Over 80 and not too humid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.