U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 03:55 PM

1,244 posts, read 2,985,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsinlifesincebirth View Post
My family is looking to move; however, we do not know where. We have lived in Wisconsin our whole lives, and would like change. We are looking for a place that we can still enjoy the outdoors (hunting and fishing). We want to live somewhere that is a little warmer then Wisconsin, but we would still want some snow to go sleeding every once in a while and totally need the leaf change thing.

Idealy, we would like to live in a community that is safe (from crime, nuclear,water and air pollutants), has a good school system (because we have children), is affordable, and is free from racism.

We are a biracial couple (hmong and white). I am a gov't employee who is in the criminal justice field, so I truly don't want to live with the people I work with (criminals). We hate snakes and bugs...so the whole TX thing is out.

Our dream location would be somewhere were we could have a home with 3-4 bedrooms on 5 acres of wooded land for $250,000.00. We are sick of the midwest and would like to see another area of America!! IS THERE ANY SUCH THING??? Please help if you can!
You want Upstate NY... Ithaca area especially...

SEE how BEAUTIFUL it is...

The Upstate NY Picture Thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 04:20 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post

Yup, in a nutshell. Can't go wrong with Upstate NY.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:22 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Syracuse is not colder than any area in Wisconsin. Syracuse is a borderline USDA Zone 6. All of Wisconsin is in either Zone 3, 4 or 5.

The Arbor Day Foundation

Syracuse's average winter temperatures are warmer than Chicago. So I doubt, since Wisconsin is north of Chicago, that any place there averages warmer temperatures than Syracuse.

The Syracuse area does get much more snow than Wisconsin since Syracuse is on the leeward side of a Great Lake. The prevailing winds move from west to east. So Syracuse gets lake effect.... while Wisconsin does not.... since Lake Michigan is located east of Wisconsin... so all the lake effect hits Michigan instead.
and the OP said 4 seasons, which we get.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:22 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,659,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Do you get snow in Boone??? What about leaf change there? My brother lives near there and he says the colors are nothing like home in Ohio and most trees are of the pine variety.
The Boone( I'm including Banner Elk and the ski resorts) area gets probably the most snow in NC annually.The area is beautiful and the leaves definitely change there! I'm not sure where exactly your brother is but there is a wide variety of trees, along with pine, all through out the mountains of NC. I spent a lot of my childhood in Maryland and West Virginia, and Boone is every bit as beautiful when the leaves are changing. Nice small town, friendly people. App State is there so there are a lot of concerts and activities frequently. There is a very small mall in the town and a good mix of chain restaurants and local ones,too. If I could live anywhere in NC, it would be near Boone!

Old 01-27-2009, 04:44 PM

32,321 posts, read 55,131,075 times
Four Seasons???

After coming back from the inauguration and facing that incredibly horrible weather, I can say without a shadow of a doubt...you can have the four seasons-they suck.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:09 PM

3,323 posts, read 9,567,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
The Boone( I'm including Banner Elk and the ski resorts) area gets probably the most snow in NC annually.The area is beautiful and the leaves definitely change there! I'm not sure where exactly your brother is but there is a wide variety of trees, along with pine, all through out the mountains of NC. I spent a lot of my childhood in Maryland and West Virginia, and Boone is every bit as beautiful when the leaves are changing. Nice small town, friendly people. App State is there so there are a lot of concerts and activities frequently. There is a very small mall in the town and a good mix of chain restaurants and local ones,too. If I could live anywhere in NC, it would be near Boone!
My apologies. My brother lives on the coast and i was confusing Boone with a city down by him. I can be an airhead sometimes.

I know App. State very well. They beat MI, so us Ohioans are very happy about that. I think Youngstown State used to play or does still play them as well. If i had to move down south i would probably choose your area as well. How many inches of snow do you guys get a year??? I really am not a fan of the coast. I mean it's nice in the around New Bern and Wilmington, but my brother lives in Jacksonville which is pretty much a dump. I like the beach, but could never live in that climate for very long. Besides, the beach would get boring after a while.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:43 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,232,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post

I agree. Ithaca is really nice. Looks like it's what the OP is looking for.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
My apologies. My brother lives on the coast and i was confusing Boone with a city down by him. I can be an airhead sometimes.

I know App. State very well. They beat MI, so us Ohioans are very happy about that. I think Youngstown State used to play or does still play them as well. If i had to move down south i would probably choose your area as well. How many inches of snow do you guys get a year??? I really am not a fan of the coast. I mean it's nice in the around New Bern and Wilmington, but my brother lives in Jacksonville which is pretty much a dump. I like the beach, but could never live in that climate for very long. Besides, the beach would get boring after a while.
Ah, no biggie. And yes! We were quite thrilled with the App State win! The annual snowfall depends on where you are in Watauga County. In town is probably about 45 inches a year, but other areas of the county can get upwards of 60 inches.

I've actually never been to the NC coast, I like the beach too, but we have family in Fl so usually hit the beach down there.

How's Ohio holding up in this economy?

Old 01-28-2009, 08:04 PM

3,323 posts, read 9,567,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
Ah, no biggie. And yes! We were quite thrilled with the App State win! The annual snowfall depends on where you are in Watauga County. In town is probably about 45 inches a year, but other areas of the county can get upwards of 60 inches.

I've actually never been to the NC coast, I like the beach too, but we have family in Fl so usually hit the beach down there.

How's Ohio holding up in this economy?
Oh yeah, that is plenty of snow! I bet it's beautiful there. Where i live we average 52" a season, but this winter we've already had over 60"!!!

The economy up here depends on where you live and your field of work. Here in the Youngstown area we are old pros at recession and job loss, we've been experiencing that for the past 30 years. It's a great place to live if you have a halfway decent job. I know a lot of people who get buy on less than $30k. You can live very comfortably on $40 or $50k.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:09 PM

My hubby is in the construction business and things have pretty much stopped here. lol, 30K would be waaaay better than what we're getting now! Let me know if you have any other questions about Boone. Like I said, other than the economy, it's a great place!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or