Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we add a City-vs.-City sub-forum?
Yes 84 78.50%
No 23 21.50%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 01:32 AM

812 posts, read 4,067,098 times

Advertisements

Making such a forum would quickly turn into the basest of arguments, but on the other hand would greatly make my filtering thru General US much easier to get to the actual quality threads

Since you can't stop the A vs B, putting it in some leper's colony on its own may be good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 02:18 AM

717 posts, read 2,799,366 times
Thumbs up Can be very helpful when utilized correctly!

Wow! This is a tough issue to tackle..

I voted yes because I am currently in a situation where I am looking for a place to think about putting down roots--I've come to the conclusion that no one place is perfect in every means. There will always be imperfections in every place on this earth. People see things differently--hence that's why we are all looking for something different--something that is more us.

I have actually posted a few of these city vs city posts recently because I am looking for perspectives from people who can relate to what they know about the city I am in or have been vs. one I am considering looking at..However, I am only looking for "intelligent" feedback. I don't want to scroll thru endless rantings about trivial things.

Obviously, there will be the potential (reality) of this becoming HUGE...While one cannot say that comparisons are endless--it will sure seem like it because there are lots of places that can be compared.

Personally, I have found these threads to be very useful when I come across posts that I can relate to this person's perspective and I found the insight almost invaluable. The majority of "good" people that you have on this forum far out-numbers those few "bad" apples.

Go For IT! It can always be shut-down if it becomes a nit-picking slam. Use your authority to end what needs to be ended.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:42 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,898,285 times
I dislike when threads turn into bashing a city, state, accent, etc. I think some threads have that intent when they're started, and others frequently turn to bashing to make their point. People who have an opinion are free to state such, but often they turn to belittling if you disagree with them. I often think good information gets lost in a thread because so many posters would rather bash than share relevant information. It's probably a good idea to to add a sub-forum that's closely monitored.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:40 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,419,854 times
I missed the poll, but yes.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:34 PM

9,761 posts, read 3,406,580 times
I missed the poll as well.. but I vote yes. Obviously, moderators have been very good about warnings because of improper use of forums/language etc. There are even comments on the internet about moderators being too liberal with judgments about forum posts. So, I doubt that such a forum, city-vs-city, would be worthless do to mass debasing on cities in general. I would, actually, very much like a city-vs-city forum because I am doing a lot of comparisons as I consider a move in the near future. I would like to make the best choice possible and get appropriate input from forum users. For example: If I chose to offer up my views about the pros and cons of two cities, forum users can let me know if my conclusions are incorrect. It seems that most people considering a move would look at more than one city or state when making that decision. While it is useful to participate in threads concerning one city or state, it would be a handicap to not have an additional forum to compare two different cities from two different states.

------->my two cents

Old 01-28-2009, 02:44 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,912,662 times
The big problem with city vs city threads is that it creates people to get angry with other forum members and it just rolls into a mud slinging contest. Typically one guy comes along, starts stating his city is better, and bashing other city in the thread very ignorantly as the dude probably never even travelled to that city. Then people from the city being bashed start ignorantly attacking the other people's city creating nothing more than a mud slinging thead.

Can we compare cities maturly? Yes, but it usually takes 1 page until you have the ignorant city basher come along to do nothing but ignite a fire. The mods never ban or delete these post.

I said many times, as I come from a city that has a bad reputation to people who neve been here, and always feel the need to stand up for my city. I have no problem with people giving my city negative criticism if it adds up. But I do when somebody comes in and starts just bashing it with nothing to actually back it up. I should just ignore them, but I always feel the need to stand up for my home city.

I personally thought of it again, and I think there should be a city vs city forum. However, it will just be known as the mudslinging, chaotic, ignorant bashing forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.