U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 01:40 AM

673 posts, read 3,755,051 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what cities in general are excessively priced to the point where its laughable?

I am amazed what people in California and Florida pay for homes. When you look at the average pay or per-capita to what the average housing value of a house its absolutely incredible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 03:44 AM

23,655 posts, read 33,482,984 times
Washington DC and NoVA is defintely on that list. you can't even talk sfh in desirable area w/o talkin at least 400k or apt not in the ghetto w/o talkin $1000 a month.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:59 AM

2,909 posts, read 12,997,093 times
I am making a website insanehouseprices com and still gathering info. I think you can find insane prices in many states. Most of the insane prices will be in states like CA, FL, NJ, HI and a few others.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:28 AM

30,237 posts, read 67,405,932 times
The Poconos here in NEPA are definitely well on their way to the "ludicrous" point. It's at the point now where unless one or more of the heads of a household commutes into NJ or NY for work on a daily basis, purchasing a new home in Monroe County is very difficult. Other than Sanofi-Pasteur Pharmaceuticals, East Stroudsburg University, Pocono Medical Center, and the Tobyhanna Army Depot, there really aren't any "high-caliber" employers that offer plenty of decent salaries in Monroe County. As a result, most new residents head onto I-80 East every morning and battle gridlock for 1-3 hours each way into some area of North Jersey or Manhattan. If you don't have at least a Bachelor's Degree and aren't willing to commute a considerable distance, then Monroe County's cost-of-living is becoming unattainable. We're noticing a "squeeze-play" here where long-time natives are being "priced out" of Monroe County and are moving to the Scranton Area to find more affordable real estate options. A lot of dually-employed professional couples are moving to the county, driving up the cost-of-living, and making it impossible for these locals, most of whom don't possess a college education, to remain in the county they grew up in due to increasing taxes, "price gouging" towards NYC tourists, and the low wages they earned in the retail/hospitality sectors. It's a vicious cycle that never seems to want to end---NYers/NJians continue to move their children here for the "better quality-of-life." The influx of children forces local school districts to construct new schools to keep pace with the growing student enrollments. These new schools require tax increases to cover the costs, and while those who are moving here from high-earning areas to our east can afford them, the local natives can not. When this NYC-related exurban growth will stop is beyond me, but I think even Scranton/Wilkes-Barre will suffer a similar fate as Monroe County (and arguably the Lehigh Valley) in the upcoming years as the people fleeing the Poconos to our area drive our cost-of-living up too!

Old 03-12-2007, 07:54 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,387,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Washington DC and NoVA is defintely on that list. you can't even talk sfh in desirable area w/o talkin at least 400k or apt not in the ghetto w/o talkin $1000 a month.
You're right! We were vacationing in Washington over the summer, and I was reading a real estate magazine at breakfast one morning and nearly fell in the floor at the prices. We would never be able to afford a sfh up there. My home here in suburban Charlotte is 2100 sf, 4/2.5, 1/3 acre, 2-story, 9 years old, in a nice subdivision, and close to everything. If I sold it now, I'd probably get $175. Just out of curiosity, what would that get me in the DC area?

Old 03-12-2007, 08:10 AM

9,324 posts, read 23,821,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I am making a website insanehouseprices com and still gathering info. I think you can find insane prices in many states. Most of the insane prices will be in states like CA, FL, NJ, HI and a few others.
Now that's a good use of your time! You can get some data from the tax assessor's website and see what the homes last sold for a few years ago. Have like a "sucker scale" so the higher the property appreciated in value, the greater the fool who bought it. Be sure to compare median salaries to home prices.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:16 AM

2,349 posts, read 9,681,122 times
OH I saw Flip this House yesterday and there was a reno in California going for app $1000 a square foot. INSANE!! We can build new for around $100-125 here in TN. Good "used" homes sell for $75-100.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:31 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,997,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
OH I saw Flip this House yesterday and there was a reno in California going for app $1000 a square foot. INSANE!! We can build new for around $100-125 here in TN. Good "used" homes sell for $75-100.

Most of the value is in the land but houses in CA cost more to build and fees like impact and permits can get pretty expensive. Lots of regulations.

Even Tennessee sounds expensive, ive seen brand new houses as low as $36 a total square feet in Texas. No joke, there was this huge new 5 bedroom house for just $129k. Granted it was pretty ugly and simplistic. You can get nice ones though for $50-60 a foot. I see huge 3000 square feet houses going for $150k-200k

Old 03-12-2007, 04:07 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,671,233 times
I agree that Florida is way overpriced. I don't "get" what people love so much about Florida. I think it's way too crowded, there are plenty of other great beaches in the country, and there is the threat of hurricane. California has the threats of earthquakes, fires, and mud slides, but it is gorgeous, plus you have great universities, great technological companies, and Hollywood (which we all love, or love to hate). NJ is also very expensive but you have great public schools, overall very low crime, and all the amenities of NYC and Philly + the beach.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:06 PM

23,655 posts, read 33,482,984 times
Default nothin

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
You're right! We were vacationing in Washington over the summer, and I was reading a real estate magazine at breakfast one morning and nearly fell in the floor at the prices. We would never be able to afford a sfh up there. My home here in suburban Charlotte is 2100 sf, 4/2.5, 1/3 acre, 2-story, 9 years old, in a nice subdivision, and close to everything. If I sold it now, I'd probably get $175. Just out of curiosity, what would that get me in the DC area?
$175, that would get you a 1-bed condo in a very dangerous area in MD (Suitland, Oxon Hill, etc.) that is why i'm tryin to move to Charlotte. what would a two bed TH/condo cost me there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or