U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 05:43 PM

12 posts, read 20,779 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are born and raised in Texas. We recently decided we need to get out of this area, life's too short to get stuck in the same state the rest of our lives.
We want to live where it snows, possibly within a couple hours of a place to ski. Obviously we want to live where there is low crime, near a hospital, and good schools for our son.
Economically I know most places are sucking, we were considering Bend, Oregon. A lot of people say that area isn't doing well.
Anybody have any good suggestions?

Last edited by Bo; 01-25-2009 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: Updated title to make thread easier to find w/search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 05:50 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,048,295 times
Massachusetts. You would like it here for the same reasons I want to leave.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:52 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,743,366 times
Try Pittsburgh:
Pittsburgh Hotels, Attractions & Vacation Packages : Pittsburgh PA CVB

Old 01-25-2009, 05:56 PM

366 posts, read 1,304,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Massachusetts.
Agreed.

Ski resort- idk where in the state but if not in the state there close.

Snow-Yes

Crime- Low

Hopitals- There are good hospitals in Mass.

Schools-idk much but I highly doubt schools are bad in Mass.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:58 PM

5,721 posts, read 9,087,125 times
Connecticut's economy is not all that great but some areas in the state are getting by. I recently saw a report that claimed CT, ME and MA will have stronger economies than most in this deepening recession. I suspect that means for the Northeast quadrant of the country though.

I'd recommend Connecticut. My Father's Father was from a small town in Texas and he married a woman from Vermont (my Grandmother) and they settled in Long Island briefly before settling down in Connecticut. He always liked CT and felt at home there.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()_T View Post
Agreed.

Ski resort- idk where in the state but if not in the state there close.

Snow-Yes

Crime- Low

Hopitals- There are good hospitals in Mass.

Schools-idk much but I highly doubt schools are bad in Mass.
Not a resort, but there's skiing at Wachusett in the state. There are resorts in New Hampshire and Vermont if you're willing to drive.

And besides the snow, Massachusetts has everything else they're looking for too. The economy isn't the best but it's bad everywhere. No shortage of Texans here either.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Connecticut's economy is not all that great but some areas in the state are getting by. I recently saw a report that claimed CT, ME and MA will have stronger economies than most in this deepening recession. I suspect that means for the Northeast quadrant of the country though.

I'd recommend Connecticut. My Father's Father was from a small town in Texas and he married a woman from Vermont (my Grandmother) and they settled in Long Island briefly before settling down in Connecticut. He always liked CT and felt at home there.
Texas and Vermont. Talk about 2 totally different states.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:05 PM

12 posts, read 20,779 times
Any good towns in Mass worth looking into?

Also how high is the cost of living?

Old 01-25-2009, 06:15 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,653,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill05 View Post
My wife and I are born and raised in Texas. We recently decided we need to get out of this area, life's too short to get stuck in the same state the rest of our lives.
We want to live where it snows, possibly within a couple hours of a place to ski. Obviously we want to live where there is low crime, near a hospital, and good schools for our son.
Economically I know most places are sucking, we were considering Bend, Oregon. A lot of people say that area isn't doing well.
Anybody have any good suggestions?
There's a ski resort in Eureka, Missouri. There are also some good school districts in the suburbs and good private schools. Barnes-Jewish Hospital is one of the best hospitals in the Midwest. If you work in or near the city, you may need a town in between St. Louis and Eureka, since Eureka will probably be a half-hour for the city (not factoring traffic).
Here's the website for the ski resort.

Hidden Valley :: Home Page - Hidden Valley

St. Louis won't get as much snow as Massachusetts, but you will still get some. I do admit, Missouri doesn't have a whole lot of ski rinks, though. But the land is beautiful, and during the summer you can take trips to Lake of the Ozarks, or Branson (there's a rather large lake there as well - Table Rock Lake), and there are other smaller things to do, like Six Flags. And there's baseball, football, hockey, and (maybe eventually) soccer.

Just a thought.

Also, any other requirements?

And cost of living shouldn't be that high. You can get a decent 3BR (I would think) in most suburbs for $250k, maybe less in the city. I wouldn't recommend city schools, although there are some great private schools in the area (most Catholic I think).

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 01-25-2009 at 06:25 PM..

Old 01-25-2009, 06:19 PM

Cost of living is cheaper the further away from Boston you are. As far as towns go, it depends what you're looking for. Do you want rural, suburban, or urban? How big or small do you want the town to be (population)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or