U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2007, 07:46 AM

2,909 posts, read 12,990,438 times

Advertisements

This is what I heard and is why id prefer the humid northeast instead. The winters in the midwest are very dry and people talk about this causing chapped lips, rough hands, even nosebleeds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 08:59 AM

17,835 posts, read 29,967,828 times
when I go home to PA during the winter I come home with chapped, lips,skin,hands
The air inside is so dry from having the heat on, that a couple times we have ended up with nose bleeds.
Not to mention the static in your clothes
But great hair days without the humidity that we have in the south

Old 03-12-2007, 09:35 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,411,770 times
Yes, winters feel very dry, but actually the humidity is alot higher in winter than any other time of the year (I think). Its the air inside the houses that suck all the moisture out of the air. But in no way does it compare to the ultra-arid southwest states, talk about nose bleeds, dry skin and cracked lips!

Old 03-12-2007, 09:54 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,095,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Yes, winters feel very dry, but actually the humidity is alot higher in winter than any other time of the year (I think). Its the air inside the houses that suck all the moisture out of the air. But in no way does it compare to the ultra-arid southwest states, talk about nose bleeds, dry skin and cracked lips!

I agree. The midwest is certainly not an arid region like the southwest, not even close. Just like anywhere that experiences cold weather, the heated air sucks the moisture out of you.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:39 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,241,199 times
Quite frankly, having lived in most of these places, I'd prefer the southwest over the humidity of the northeast or midwest any day.

Each person reacts differently to these things. If humidity bothers you, then my hunch is that a drier climate will be nicer for you. For some people the humidity isn't that bad. I never had any problem in the drier areas, although I did know one person who did, but I didn't meet others who reacted that way.

Reading about other people's reactions, or reading about climate, or going over statistics and weather patterns still do not show how you, personally, would react. That's why a trip would be good. It just seems silly to go by what everyone else says when you may be totally different in your responses.

For instance, lots of people love Arizona -- I found it oppressive -- especially the sun. I had heat strokes, and headaches, and found the daily sun too much to take. Then I moved to Colorado, and I, for me, found that to be the perfect climate: sunny, warm, clear skies, low humidity, just enough snow to make it pretty, very little rain, but still seasons, but not those really intense winters or weather like the northeast or areas of the midwest like Chicago. Over 300 clear sunny days, low humidity, high altitude which made the sun melt snow within days -- very rarely would we have snow for more than two weeks straight (this is on the front range just at the foot of the Rocky Mountains where they begin -- like Denver, Colorado Springs, Boulder, etc. -- not the ski areas which are only about 15 miles away but the elevation goes way up really fast). Warm days, cool nights, clear starry skies -- perfect weather.

I have chosen to live in many parts of the U.S. -- only difference is, although I had heard about each place, I did not make any decision until I actually visited the place. I've been to places that I thought I might like (Santa Fe, for example) that just didn't feel right, and didn't move there. Other places I just walked into and said "This is it." It's all so very personal.

I still think you're spending way too much time asking how other people react when you would find a wealth of information that would easily help you to make a decision if you actually went and visited places.

You mentioned Toronto before. What about there? It's a terrific city, the winter is not bad at all (it gets much less snow than in New York State, where I'm from), a great subway system, low crime, the beautiful lake, the islands nearby you can get to by ferry, lots of culture.... I spent a lot of time there because I lived nearby in the States and went there a lot. I'm surprised that is not on your list -- yes, I know it's expensive, but if you have relatives who would let you stay with them, then you'd have a chance to find a place, get a job outside of the home to tide you over while you do the computer thing, and you'd be able to meet lots of people. I mean, Oil City or Toronto?? Hmmmmm, gee, that's a tough one......

Anyway, NAH, you need to get out there and check it out for yourself because you seem to be driving yourself crazy with all the stats, and things you are reading, and once you're in a place, THEN you'll have a good idea if it's a good fit.

Last edited by Wisteria; 03-12-2007 at 10:51 AM..

Old 03-12-2007, 10:50 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,919,576 times
I got pretty dried up in Colorado--like a potato chip.
I ended up with eczema, sun damage, and in the winter I'd get horrible bleeding cracks in my hands. My very first year in Denver, which was a very long time ago, I did get several nosebleeds, at the worst possible times (like English class in junior high.) But I adjusted.
I've had dry skin all my life, even when I was a kid in NY, and all those years in Colorado exacerbated it. I needed a change.
As Wisteria says, you have to visit these places and see what you think. Good luck to you! It's exciting to research something like this.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:54 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,241,199 times
Default NAH needs a place to stay while traveling!

Hi Cil. Yep, that's what I mean -- I had no problem, but I did know someone who had to move from there because of it. Then again, I don't have dry skin, so I probably tolerated it better, but the heat was the killer for me in Arizona -- and those states are right next to each other!!

Yes, a trip is definitely in order! Maybe we can let NAH stay at our houses for a night along the way to keep his costs down. He must have met a lot of people from all over the U.S. by now!!

Old 03-12-2007, 11:04 AM

655 posts, read 2,099,687 times
Default This is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
This is what I heard and is why id prefer the humid northeast instead. The winters in the midwest are very dry and people talk about this causing chapped lips, rough hands, even nosebleeds!
What you've heard is accurate. I always have lip balm and hand lotion for that exact reason. I've never seen anyone getting nosebleeds from it though.

Ironically enough, I was trying to find my Chapstick this morning.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:06 AM

139 posts, read 587,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Humidity in the Northeast is during the summer, when we have a few stretches of extreme humidity. The winter here in CT causes the same problems. Dry skin, nose bleeds, chapped lips, etc... It's from the heat in the car, home or work. It robs the air of any moisture. In the home it's best to have a humidifier or two. The "humid NE" will not safe you in this case.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:54 AM

630 posts, read 2,218,300 times
Actually the humidity can get quite high in Minnesota, which is in the midwest.
In the winter, in your home, you will need to put back some of the moisture in the air that the heat is drawing out.
However, I've never had a problem with cracking lips, or dryness.

I've lived in many areas, and all I can say is the only way to truly know whether or not you are suited for a certain area is to actually go there.
I can read all of the information on these forums, visit all the state websites, visit my library, buy books at the bookstore, and talk to people, but, even though, these are all good sources, I won't truly know if I am suited to live in a place until I am actually there.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or