U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Metro area: traffic, downtown, democratic, republican, neighborhoods, taxes.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 08:02 PM

711 posts, read 1,871,259 times

Advertisements

I don't see why people who live out in far flung suburbs have such a problem with telling people such. Why is it so much harder to say "I live in suburban St. Louis" or "I live in suburban Cleveland" than it is to just tell the truth, that you live "in St. Louis" or "in Cleveland." No, you don't.

City life and suburban life is so vastly different that I can't imagine why people would want to give off the wrong impression. When I lived in suburbia, I ate at Applebee's and other chain restaurants. I live in the city now, and I'm too close to good, locally owned restaurants to go to the chains. The zoo, Forest Park, Science Center, museums, and festivals are all out my front door, whereas in suburbia I had to cross a river via interstate to get to anything of the sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 08:34 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,739,631 times
Default Please try to keep this about analyzing metro area functioning.

Thanks to all who have posted here. I appreciate it when anyone takes the time to add thoughts to a thread I've started. That said, I do want to remind people that the question I posed in the original post has to do with analysis of the functional interaction of communities within a metropolitan area, from an urban geography perspective. Here is a link to another thread about the question of identifying as a resident of the city or the suburbs, and whether you say you're from your area's principal city even if you live in the suburbs:

Is it alright to say your from a city when you are really live in a suburb?.

There are also other threads that discuss the comparitive merits of life in the city and the suburbs. Just to keep things running smoothly here, I'd appreciate it if people would try to keep this thread on the topic of the functional relationship between city and suburbs within a metropolitan area as one entity. Thanks.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Great post, ogre. I would like to add that I was speaking politically when I made my post. We can't vote for the mayor of Denver. People in Denver can't vote for the mayor of Louisville. But we're all metro Denverites! We even pay some of the same taxes.

Very interesting to learn that Denver and its suburbs share some of the same taxes. This is a great example of city and suburbs functioning in certain ways as one political entitiy, despite the emphasis on local municipal or county governments for many services.

The cooperative functioning between city and suburbs is not an entirely new concept. Here in the Boston area, where I live, for many years there was an agency called the Metropolitan District Commission, which maintained certain types of infrastructure built on a large enough scale to be shared by a number of contiguous communities--roads, bridges, and water supply, for example--for Boston and many of its inner suburbs. The MDC has been absorbed into a state agency that maintains various elements of infrastructure throughout Massachusetts, though still heavily centered in the Boston metro area for certain facilities, such as parks. During the years the MDC existed, it represented a cooperative effort between communities in the inner core of the metropolitan area, a clear recognition of the close interaction between communities in that area inside of rt. 128 (the area's oldest, innermost outer-belt highway) which several people posting here have offered as an example of an inner urban core area that seems very much like all one city.

Very interesting to learn that Denver even shares some tax burden with its suburbs, another clear indication of the understanding that in many ways city and suburbs do function as one entity.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:00 PM

87,020 posts, read 102,689,903 times
Here are some of the taxes Denver and the suburbanites pay (meaning all or parts of the suburban counties):

RTD (mass transportation) tax
Baseball stadium tax
Football stadium tax
Scientific and Cultural Facilities Tax: (Denver Public Library, Denver Art Museum, Colorado Symphony, Colorado Ballet, Museum of Nature and Science, Denver Botanic Gardens, plus others I can't think of at the moment, all in Denver; arts programs and facilities in the suburbs)

Old 01-30-2009, 01:58 PM

Of those taxes shared by communities in metro Denver, one that caught my attention was the mass transit tax. Mass transit is an example of cooperative providing of services within a metro area which has been around for some time. There are mass transit systems encompassing city and suburbs that have been set up that way for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or