U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 01:11 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,232,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
I don't think we need to ban any kind of dog breeds, but rather ban bad dog owners.

I know at least 10 people with pit bulls (or cross breed pit/rottweiller) and all these dogs are very nice and socialable. They all get along great with my dog Max (a german shorthair pointer). The problem is when you get some retard who thinks it is cool to train his dog to be mean and fight (think that loser Micheal Vick for instance). These kinds of breeds can be socialized and brought up to be good animals, but you have to keep animals away from the degenerates
I agree. Also, breeds who have the capability to EASILY kill a person should be owned by a responsible pet owner who knows how to train/raise that breed.

For me, the issue isn't the breed. The issue is the capability of the dog and it just happens that a pit bull has that large and extremely powerfull jaw and muscular upper body.

It's one thing to take a bite from a yorkie, it's another from a pitbull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
All dogs aren't responsible for:

Pit Bull Attacks 3 SJ Students (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/gate/archive/2001/02/05/dogattack.DTL - broken link)
Pit bulls attack children
Pit Bull attack : News : KVII
9-year-old mauled by pit bull
Untitled Document (http://www.snoho.com/newsHTML/pitbull.html - broken link)
Pit Bull Mastiff Attacks Dallas Mail Carrier
Boy Clings to Life After Pit-Bull Attack
Omaha.com Metro/Region Section
Pitbull attacks toddler
Pit bulls attack girl, grandma
Pit bull attacks owners
Women save toddler from pit-bull attack (http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2004/04/11/news/californian/23_29_184_10_04.txt - broken link)
Cousins hospitalized after pit bulls attack
Pit Bull's Vicious Attack on Infant and Mother
Pit bull attacks mother, daughter
Pit Bull Attacks And Kills Other Dog (http://wjz.com/local/dog.attack.pit.2.594331.html - broken link)
Pit bulls attack woman, kill poodle (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Pit_bulls_attack_woman_kill_poodle.html?c=y&viewAl lComments=y - broken link)
Pit bull attack kills one dog
Pit Bulls Break Into Yard, Attack Family Pet (http://cbs11tv.com/local/pit.bulls.house.2.845746.html - broken link)
Raging Pit Bull Injures Five In Boca Raton (http://cbs4.com/pets/pit.bull.boca.2.895642.html - broken link)
Pit bull attacks two Orem men (http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/274846/ - broken link)
Pit Bulls Running Loose in Keizer Neighborhood Kill Small Dog
Toronto dog dead after pit bull attack (http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1098444964260_93854164?s_name=&no_ads - broken link)
Karate stunned pit bull
Three pit bull attacks come in one morning
Pit bull attacks one-year-old girl
Pit bull attacks letter carrier in Westminster
Pit bull attack
Pit bull attacks woman
Another Pit Bull Attack In Spotsylvania
Pit Bull Attacks Service Dog (http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/17458390/detail.html - broken link)

The sad part....I could probably come up the same lengthy list just in the city of Omaha for recent pitt bull attacks. I will look into it just for the hell of it.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:14 PM

30,351 posts, read 67,597,330 times
I bite people. Are cities going to ban me?!

Old 01-28-2009, 01:23 PM

Dog Bite Expert:

"According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:
If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price. "
"There have been many news reports about deaths caused by dogs in the USA. The attention given to the homicides has put the spotlight on pit bulls and Rottweilers. There is a very good reason for focusing on these two breeds: in recent years, they have usually been the number one and number two canine killers of humans. (See below, The breeds most likely to kill.) It therefore is correct to single out those two breeds when talking about canine homicides, because those two breeds lately have caused half or more of the deaths -- a disgraceful statistic whether it is regarded as the fault of the dogs, their breeders, their owners, or all three.
However, the focus on death cases may leave the public with the false impression that pit bulls and Rottweilers are responsible for the dog bite epidemic. It is a much broader problem than that, involving all dogs and all dog owners. While pit bulls and Rottweilers inflict a disproportionate number of serious and even fatal injuries, the dog bite epidemic involves many different breeds, and results from many different causes. A clear distinction needs to be made between canine homicides (i.e., incidents in which dogs kill people) and the dog bite epidemic. "

DOG BITE LAW - Statistics about dog bites in the USA and elsewhere
Another Interesting Article

I don't think this is much of a debate. They are just as likely to attack as other dogs, but they have the ability to severly maul and kill a person.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:39 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,659,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Another Interesting Article

I don't think this is much of a debate. They are just as likely to attack as other dogs, but they have the ability to severly maul and kill a person.

I agree with this statement. People on here are making them out to be a breed that is more than likely to attack than others. They are stronger so they will do more damage on the rare occasion that they do attack.
People don't seem to realize that they have around the same temperament as a golden retriever according to tests. ATTS - American Temperament Test Society, Inc. - Home

Old 01-28-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I agree with this statement. People on here are making them out to be a breed that is more than likely to attack than others. They are stronger so they will do more damage on the rare occasion that they do attack.
People don't seem to realize that they have around the same temperament as a golden retriever according to tests. ATTS - American Temperament Test Society, Inc. - Home
Would you agree on special courses being mandated for owners of certain breeds before they can license their dogs?

-Teaching them how to raise them properly
-Educating them on the legal (civil/criminal) ramifications of not doing so?

Old 01-28-2009, 01:51 PM

I'd support classes for any dog over a certain weight.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:07 PM

19,121 posts, read 26,810,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I'd support classes for any dog over a certain weight.
Well, considering APBT are supposed to be between 35 and 65 lbs, most aren't considered 'large' dogs. My apbt is only 38 lbs, smaller than my parents lab and not much bigger than my parents pugs....

Old 01-28-2009, 03:14 PM

Ok, certain weight and muscle mass?

Old 01-28-2009, 03:37 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,152,582 times
Any dog can hurt you if there owner trains them too... like most pits.

NOT THE DOGS FAULT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or