Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 01:06 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,804,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Well a few years ago more people in the US were bitten by Cocker Spanels than any other breed, so we might as well outlaw them too.

This is sad that people look at these numbers and fail to realize that these animals are made to be aggressive. Its also sad that we do not look at the total number of these types of animals. The Pit, the Rottie and the German Sheppard are probably 3 of the most popular breeds in the US, so it would stand to reason that if we have more of them the numbers for them would be higher.

Prosecute the people not the breed.

But Cocker Spaniels don't kill people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 01:09 PM

260 posts, read 547,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I've stated this three times...they don't "have" to be trained to attack. Traits like viciousness have become inherent in certain breeds over a period of years, and even dogs that are not trained to kill/protect can have that characteristic. I'm not just making that up...it's part of natural evolution.
you are stating you opinons as fact without any backup.

here is some info which completely negates your evolution argument. it shows without a doubt that it is the owner and not the dog 97% of the time.

[CENTER] FATAL DOG ATTACKS: THE TRUTH BEHIND THE TRAGEDY[/CENTER]
Extensive research and investigation has conclusively identified the ownership/management practices that are at the root of the rare, but perfect, storm when a dog becomes dangerous.
Function of Dog –
Owners obtaining dogs, and maintaining them as resident dogs outside of the household for purposes other than as family pets (i.e. guarding/ protection, fighting, intimidation/status, irresponsible and negligent breeding).
Owner Management & Control of Dogs –
Owners failing to humanely contain, control and maintain their dogs (chained dogs, loose roaming dogs, cases of abuse/neglect); owners failing to knowledgably supervise interaction between children and dogs.
Reproductive Status of Dog –
Owners failing to spay or neuter animals not used for competition, show, or in a responsible breeding program.
In 2006, 97% of the fatal attacks were the result of one or more of these reckless or criminal ownership practices.
Karen Delise
National Canine Research Council

All statistics can be cited or referenced by the National Canine Research Council upon request.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:10 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,680,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I've stated this three times...they don't "have" to be trained to attack. Traits like viciousness have become inherent in certain breeds over a period of years, and even dogs that are not trained to kill/protect can have that characteristic. I'm not just making that up...it's part of natural evolution.

Do a search for "pit bull attack" and see what a "small percentage" of vicious pit bulls there REALLY are...
But thats not a trait in this breed. Research the history of the breed. Human aggression has to be trained into the dog. I have researched this topic and yes, its a small percentage of the dog that are actually attacking people(when talking about pure breeds that are lumped into the pit bull category).

Old 01-27-2009, 01:23 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,874,762 times
Anyone disputing the dangerous and vicious nature of the Pit Bull breed is a complete and total moron...PERIOD.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:25 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,680,732 times
What a well thought out and researched reply.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Anyone disputing the dangerous and vicious nature of the Pit Bull breed is a complete and total moron...PERIOD.
let me guess-you were on the debate team in college.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:34 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,077,143 times
I'm in favor of banning ignorant/neglectful/vicious humans from owning dogs of any breed, everywhere .

Just need to figure out how to enforce that...

Old 01-27-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
What a well thought out and researched reply.
Here's an excellent article on pit bulls and I think it just reiterates everything I have been saying regarding knowing how to raise these dogs and the repercussions of not doing so.

The reason these dogs are so damn dangerous is simple: They have the capability and build to EASILY kill other animals and people. Two, they have historically been bread to fight

American Pit Bull Terrier, Pit Bulls, Pitbulls

Old 01-27-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
let me guess-you were on the debate team in college.
Yeah, I used to debate stupid people who think it's ok to raise animals who often times maul their owners and neighbors.

That said, how many more times am I going to have to re-state my point? I have been saying it does come down to the owners. However, many poeple who buy them dogs are just as dumb as the dog, therefore the dog will never be properly raised. I do get that the term pit bull encompasses a large amount of breed types, but I'm also not saying there aren't other dogs that need to be watched.

People should take a training course and become licensed before they are allowed to own something as dangerous as a 100+ lb dog.

Last edited by thatguy1; 01-27-2009 at 01:53 PM..

Old 01-27-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Yeah, I used to debate stupid people who think it's ok to raise animals who often times maul their owners and neighbors.
often times?
"The average Number of people killed by a Pit Bull each year is 3. It can be estimated that for every Pit Bull who kills, there are 10.5 MILLION that DON'T!"
btw, it is an indication of a weak intellect to resort to name calling to back up your opinion. they should have taught you that on the debate team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.