U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 01:01 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,005,408 times

Advertisements

I went to school with a lot of black kids and almost half of them were born in Michigan or Chicago. And the rest probably had family up there. I guess black ppl are migrating back down here. No, I dont live in Atlanta. I live in Memphis.

I've also noticed that a lot of white ppl and black ppl in TN have some kind of connection to Michigan, whether they were born there, lived there or have family there. It goes for people from small hick towns, to cities. It's a strange connection. Sometimes I find myself surrounded by people from Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 05:05 PM

56,660 posts, read 80,952,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I went to school with a lot of black kids and almost half of them were born in Michigan or Chicago. And the rest probably had family up there. I guess black ppl are migrating back down here. No, I dont live in Atlanta. I live in Memphis.

I've also noticed that a lot of white ppl and black ppl in TN have some kind of connection to Michigan, whether they were born there, lived there or have family there. It goes for people from small hick towns, to cities. It's a strange connection. Sometimes I find myself surrounded by people from Michigan.
It's like that because when you think of the Northern migration of Blacks, they usually went to states that are directly above them from the South. For instance, my father's family is from the Delta region of Mississippi and I have a lot of family in the Detroit, Chicago and St. Louis areas. My dad also said that many people from his hometown moved to Waterloo, Iowa too. So, it's due to Michigan being a state that is directly North of Tennessee.

On my mother's side, which is from South Carolina, she has family in the NYC/Downstate NY, Philadelphia and Trenton NJ areas. Pretty much directly North of SC.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:53 PM

208 posts, read 540,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post

There was alot of migration to Michigan in the 40's-60's, both black and white. But something I have also noticed in Tennessee is the people from Michigan who have no roots in Tennessee originally. It seems like a close to 1/4 of the people I know in Nashville are from Michigan. And you are right about the small towns too. You can be out in the middle of nowhere in Tennessee and hear a Michigan (or upper midwest for that matter) accent.

On the other hand, I lived in Ft. Myers, FL for a couple of years and in that area, I would say a good 50% or more were either from Michigan or another midwestern state.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:20 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,053,448 times
Lots of Southerners in Williston, ND these days. Why? It's an oil boomtown.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:57 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,005,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes30 View Post
There was alot of migration to Michigan in the 40's-60's, both black and white. But something I have also noticed in Tennessee is the people from Michigan who have no roots in Tennessee originally. It seems like a close to 1/4 of the people I know in Nashville are from Michigan. And you are right about the small towns too. You can be out in the middle of nowhere in Tennessee and hear a Michigan (or upper midwest for that matter) accent.

On the other hand, I lived in Ft. Myers, FL for a couple of years and in that area, I would say a good 50% or more were either from Michigan or another midwestern state.
Im glad someone else noticed the Michigan Tennessee connection! But actually, some of the most Southern ppl I know are originally from Michigan.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:56 AM

3,077 posts, read 5,452,059 times
Quote:
Im glad someone else noticed the Michigan Tennessee connection! But actually, some of the most Southern ppl I know are originally from Michigan.
As someone from Michigan, this takes the fun out of traveling sometimes! Everywhere I go, when I meet new people they are from Michigan. I spent a weekend in Baltimore and ended up meeting four really cool people... from Michigan. Met some really nice Tennesseans... from Michigan. Went to Chicago, but I didn't really meet any true Chicagoans because I spent all my time talking to people from Michigan. Had a random conversation with a guy in an elevator in Philadelphia... Michigan grad.

I guess we must be drawn to one another in a weird way. And for a state of 10 million people, there is a strange close-knit fraternity among current and former Michigan residents. When we meet each other in other places, it almost feels like meeting an old friend. Kinda insular, we are.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:17 PM

3,323 posts, read 9,572,329 times
^Don't feel bad.........i run into Ohioans wherever i go. I went to Snead's Ferry, NC, which is a super small town on the coast. My brother teaches school down there and was living w/5 other teachers, all of them NE Ohio. Most of them had graduated from Mount Union College in Alliance, Ohio. Anyway, one day we went to dinner at this little restaurant and i happened to run into three engineers that i used to work with who were on vacation. You can't escape us Buckeyes or you Wolverines!

Old 02-03-2009, 01:01 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,907,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I think that Americans were migrating to cities in general - the South included. Southern cities were booming then as well, especially the ones with a large manufacturing base like Houston, New Orleans, Atlanta, Memphis, Birmingham, etc.
I disagree. Most Southern cities during the period of migration suffered economically...that was one of the reasons there was a great migration northwards of both blacks and whites besides just segregation. All of the Southern cities did not begin economically booming until around the Reverse Migration, when manufacturing plants and white flight crippled the industrial economies of much of the Midwest and Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or