U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 10:50 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,213,794 times

Advertisements

Atlanta......................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 11:31 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,322,731 times
Move to a better part of DC. I hope to relocate up that way in the near future. Can't get enough of the place.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:56 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,224,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottecharlotte23 View Post
Id Say Atlanta alot of wealthy black people in Atlanta not to mention all the educated blacks there that come from the HBCU clark morehouse and spelman
The OP said "safe" city (as in low crime), though. Atlanta's crime rate while not as bad as DCs overall, rivals the big boys.

And many of the professional and degree-carrying black folks here live in the suburbs like the rest. The "obvious" larger cities are no longer the trend - see earlier posts by others for the newer alternatives. Career-goal blacks are not limited to DC and Atlanta - there are thriving "educated" black communities throughout the East Coast now, in smaller market areas.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:00 PM

23,628 posts, read 33,413,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellus View Post
To sum it up quickly, I'm going to college soon and I plan on moving out of this general area (arkansas) and I was wondering where I might find a lot of young educated black people. I know that their are bad areas in every city, so i'm fairly lenient on that, but I was born in DC and I just don't want to have to deal with 'that' type of violence all the time >.>
Charlotte, Atlanta, Raleigh, Hampton Roads.

Someone would say Washington DC or Prince George's likely on a question like this but it is really expensive (much more than AK) and i think (in my opinion) it is economically divided.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:05 PM

56,529 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
I'd agree about Houston (but it's too hot) or Atlanta (but it's too hot). Maybe Chicago?

I also wonder why it matters. It could be 96% black (PG, Md.) or 3% black (SLC), if you have a good job and can make friends, you're set.
I kind of agree. Even in my city, I found a census tract or part of a neighborhood that was just under 60% Black with a low poverty rate(8.1% according to last census) and that has many Black professional people there. There are other similar neighborhoods that have "decent" Black populations too in the city I live in. With that said, I think the OP is looking for cities where it is more prevalent in terms of what they are looking for.

Here's information on the neighborhood that I was talking about, btw:Census Tract 36.02, Onondaga County, New York - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

Old 01-28-2009, 06:32 PM

880 posts, read 2,529,379 times
I agree with Atlantagreg, Atlanta has been in the top 3 cities with the highest crime rate several times, a couple times at number 1. Hardly one of the safest cities.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:11 PM

327 posts, read 948,171 times
come to North Jersey. Its cheaper then living in NY, we have some good schools and every type of ethnic group lives here, no one truly dominates.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:24 PM

18,635 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Quote:
I'd agree about Houston (but it's too hot) or Atlanta (but it's too hot). Maybe Chicago?

I also wonder why it matters. It could be 96% black (PG, Md.) or 3% black (SLC), if you have a good job and can make friends, you're set.
Maybe people would say it would be too cold in Chicago. You can't really escape extreme weather.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:26 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,319,905 times
Quote:

96%? Facts are a bit messed up there. PG county is 62% black

and it's actually a very good place to live, outside of the beltway that is, where many affluent black communities are located

Old 01-28-2009, 08:38 PM

18,635 posts, read 27,042,193 times
I would say that the housing communities inside the beltway aren't that bad. Just stay away from the apartments communities. But yeah, the outer beltway is better and very affluent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or