U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 10:54 PM

7 posts, read 15,876 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am currently living in Minnesota and would love to move somewhere where the winters are not brutally cold. I am a single mom of a 7 year old, so I am most concerned about a great elementary school, safe community, and affordable rent. I was thinking of Arizona, but I have never even visited there. I just really need some input as I have lived in MN my whole life and don't know where to begin. I'm scared to relocate, but I have wanted to leave this depressing winter hell for a decade, please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 12:12 AM

5,812 posts, read 16,668,952 times
1. Big city?
2. Budget?
3. Singles scene?

Those would help. Thanks.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:18 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,389,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddybootz View Post
Hello, I am currently living in Minnesota and would love to move somewhere where the winters are not brutally cold. I am a single mom of a 7 year old, so I am most concerned about a great elementary school, safe community, and affordable rent. I was thinking of Arizona, but I have never even visited there. I just really need some input as I have lived in MN my whole life and don't know where to begin. I'm scared to relocate, but I have wanted to leave this depressing winter hell for a decade, please help.
I would say that if your child's father is part of his/her life that you need to stay where you are so that your child can benefit from the love of his father, and/or his extended family, if that applies.

If it does not apply, then I would plan a vacation to Arizona. If you are planning for the desert, go in August to see if you can stand it (110 degrees is no fun - even if it is a "dry" heat" LOL).

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-28-2009, 06:32 AM

5,728 posts, read 9,098,362 times
And how about employment? What are your needs? The job market is very bad in most areas of the country and if you do move, you may have to move to an area that still has some help wanted signs and it may not be climatologically speaking, the best place to go to based upon your wish to leave a cold climate for a warmer one.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:34 AM

5,969 posts, read 7,754,501 times
Try cities in the south with positive job growth. Dallas and Houston are good choices.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:26 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,249,222 times
I believe MUCH more info is needed (as per inquiries above) before folks can really start giving you serious recommendations.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:12 PM

7 posts, read 15,876 times
Default a little more info

i am currently attending a tech school in minnesota for administrative support and medical office assistant and am working at a daycare. a receptionist or child care job would be great, or even housekeeping. my daughter's father is not involved in her life at all. he left when she was 2. i would like to continue my education elsewhere, a smaller city would be nice as i am not too confident in rush hour traffic on 8 lane highways. thanks for taking the time to read this

Old 02-20-2009, 06:25 AM

5,728 posts, read 9,098,362 times
You might want to look to the smaller cities of Des Moines and Omaha. Finding ANY job right now without any real experience is going to be a real challenge. And there are only a few areas of the country right now that are either experiencing any kind of job growth or are remaining relatively stable. I do know that the Omaha area economy is still pretty healthy and Des Moines seems to be holding its own. Other than that, you'll probably have to look at places like Oklahoma City or some areas of Texas but in TX you'll see some pretty nasty traffic in the large cities.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:46 AM

6,046 posts, read 10,059,001 times
Knoxville, Tennessee
Columbia, South Carolina
Tallahassee, Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or