U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 09:10 AM

3,020 posts, read 23,622,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Thanks for the descriptions about Oil city. The news appears to be good and makes me all the more excited to visit Oil city, possibly live there. Looking forward to seeing pictures. Got a few questions for now.

1. Was there any bad areas?
2. Should I buy a small house surrounded by big houses? Could be good for appreciation
3. Did you check any stores, what kind of shopping is there? I know theres a superwalmart.
4. How was the weather? any snow and ice left?
5. I see 128 houses for sale in Oil city and more on other websites besides Realtor. Maybe those houses already sold? Realtor is about a month out of date. House could be sold recently and still listed till the next update before it gets delisted.
6. Did you check the insides of any house? If not, why? Ive talked to you about those $50k houses being as nice inside as they were outside.
7. maybe youll relocate from Woodsfield to Oil city
8. Want to say big thank you for your time and research. It does help in my decision

Oil City is not like that. The more seedy houses tend to be in the old neighborhoods down by the river on the north side. But there are restored houses mixed in all over the place. The better smaller houses have the better view and are newer. There are new houses built like in any burb on top of the hill, also a new looking apt building. Big church, lots of open land.

2. Should I buy a small house surrounded by big houses? Could be good for appreciation

It is going to be a process of living there for a while, absorbing and learning the town, seeing lots of houses, checking and rechecking. Like all places they probably love to rip new blood in town. You ain't going there and taking the place by storm.

3. Did you check any stores, what kind of shopping is there? I know theres a superwalmart.

There is a Giant food store, Rite Aide drug store, normal shops downtown, lumber yard coming into town, also other businesses in that strip between Franklin / Oil City. There IS NO WALMART in Oil City. The nearest one is in Clarion about 35 miles away, must go back thru Franklin and then down a smaller road.

Main river is still frozen, town streets still have snow left on them. Snow on the hills once you get out of Ohio.

5. I see 128 houses for sale in Oil city and more on other websites besides Realtor. Maybe those houses already sold? Realtor is about a month out of date. House could be sold recently and still listed till the next update before it gets delisted.

Lot of that is just the fun and games by them f'rigg'n realtors. You can't believe any of it. Not lots of for sale signs around the town.

6. Did you check the insides of any house? If not, why? Ive talked to you about those $50k houses being as nice inside as they were outside.

No I did go into any houses, the contractor told me, most older houses need the typical rehab. Rewiring / replumbing etc can be a b____h just like any older house. There is probably no steal for $50K, everybody said most restored nicer or newer houses sell for ~100K minimum.

7. maybe youll relocate from Woodsfield to Oil city

No, I am not moving to Oil City or just about anywhere else.

Your first thing is to buy a car. Forget your game plan. If you want to move there. Be mobile, have enough money to rent for say at least 3 months. Lots of rents for ~300 or less.

The smart move is go there with minimum stuff in your own car. Find a place to rent, get a local job, any job for a while to learn the area. Do your homework, figure out what you can afford and the best buy. Must be very, very picky.

Today I will probably hook up the back up drive and do the Pix's. Got to get my nap in too.

In fact I tried to go to WalMart because I needed to buy a thingee. Had tried to get it the Sunday before in Salem, didn't have it. Finally tried it again coming back on I-80, wound up going into some construction mess / dumbarsed place with wall to wall traffic like lot of these bleeding souls desire. Still no cigar, had to order it. I hate flipp'n Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lainie View Post
Cosmic - did you explore all of Oil City? Hasson Heights has ranch homes with garages and more space around the homes. The west end on the south side of the river has nicer housing, some with garages. Steps are a necessity when building into hillsides. Most of the housing stock in the older parts of the city is old, without garages and large yards.
I grew up in Oil City and walked everywhere - up the hill to elementary school and across the river to high school when it was 10 degrees. There were no fat kids. Oil City is just like the rest of the towns in the rust belt, no better no worse.
No I did not get up into the hills on the south side. Just did a good tour of the downtown area. Yup, I did not see any fat kids. Not even any fat dogs.

Just like Frisco, you better like hills.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:02 AM

2,909 posts, read 12,990,438 times

Oil City is not like that. The more seedy houses tend to be in the old neighborhoods down by the river on the north side. But there are restored houses mixed in all over the place. The better smaller houses have the better view and are newer. There are new houses built like in any burb on top of the hill, also a new looking apt building. Big church, lots of open land.

My reply: Dont care for the new houses, they lack character and cost too much. If I wanted a new house, I can get one in Texas for under $100k.

It is going to be a process of living there for a while, absorbing and learning the town, seeing lots of houses, checking and rechecking. Like all places they probably love to rip new blood in town. You ain't going there and taking the place by storm.

My reply: My dad is a good negotiater. If the seller is being unreasonable, we will pass and go to another seller.

There is a Giant food store, Rite Aide drug store, normal shops downtown, lumber yard coming into town, also other businesses in that strip between Franklin / Oil City. There IS NO WALMART in Oil City. The nearest one is in Clarion about 35 miles away, must go back thru Franklin and then down a smaller road.

My reply: I could have sworn there was a Walmart in Oil city, I search for stores in Oil city and Walmart comes up. Maybe Mystree or someone else can tell me. 35 miles is a long commute to Walmart to do most of my shopping.

Main river is still frozen, town streets still have snow left on them. Snow on the hills once you get out of Ohio.

My reply: Pretty strange its still frozen with the 65 degree weather, the ice must be very thick.

Lot of that is just the fun and games by them f'rigg'n realtors. You can't believe any of it. Not lots of for sale signs around the town.

My reply: What purpose does this serve if the realtors list houses that arent for sale? Bad business practice and wastes their time and my time. maybe someone that lives in Oil city can further comment on this. I see dozens of $30k to $50k houses listed in Oil city. Am very supprised you didnt see many for sale. Maybe its for sale but the owner forgot to put the for sale sign?

No I did go into any houses, the contractor told me, most older houses need the typical rehab. Rewiring / replumbing etc can be a b____h just like any older house. There is probably no steal for $50K, everybody said most restored nicer or newer houses sell for ~100K minimum.

My reply: The sellers say the house is in move in condition.
Why would I spend $100k? That is way too much!

<----That huge 2500 square feet vintage victorian house sold for $40k.

That seller wants just $12,900 for this 2/1 starter house and it even has updated wiring.

That one is $13.5k and it has some updates. Seller says its a very nice house, buy now before its gone

a nice, decent sized house for just under $20k.

For $100k I would be expecting something approching a mansion. Maybe this is what everyone meant by "nice restored house" Woulda been nice if you got a peek inside those houses. Oil city sounds alot cheaper than Woodsfield. Also Oil city has more things to do and more shopping. Yes its climate is a few degrees colder and you dont like the extra regulations. I would be interested in your opinion of the comparsions between the two.

Again I want to thank you sir for your time in visiting Oil city and bringing the good news

Old 03-14-2007, 11:36 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,322,780 times
Wow! That first house sold for only $40k?! Heck, I'd buy it at that price; I don't care how much work I'd need to do. That is a beautiful home! I'm with you NAH. I think these new McMansions lack ALOT of the character of the older homes; after a while, they all start to look the same anyway.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:42 PM

5,298 posts, read 5,772,991 times
Quote:
There IS NO WALMART in Oil City. The nearest one is in Clarion about 35 miles away, must go back thru Franklin and then down a smaller road.
I lived near the elementry school,took about 5 mins to get there.

Wal-Mart Supercenter Store #2597
10 Kimberly Lane
Cranberry, PA 16319
(814) 678-0037
6.36 miles • Store Details
• Directions

6.36 is from the zip code 16301(oil city)

Old 03-14-2007, 07:54 PM

This is also across the road from the cranberry mall
http://www.cranberrymall.com/_borders/web2-700.jpg (broken link).

Also titusville had one open about a year ago
Wal-Mart Supercenter Store #5360
11415 Hydetown Road
Titusville, PA 16354
(814) 827-0850
13.43 miles • Store Details
• Directions

Old 03-14-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystree66 View Post
I lived near the elementry school,took about 5 mins to get there.

Wal-Mart Supercenter Store #2597
10 Kimberly Lane
Cranberry, PA 16319
(814) 678-0037
6.36 miles • Store Details
• Directions

6.36 is from the zip code 16301(oil city)

So why did you not tell me before I needed to know????

Old 03-14-2007, 08:17 PM

5,773 posts, read 12,320,548 times
I love this thread!

Old 03-14-2007, 08:30 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,990,438 times
I still have questions, see my reply above this. I am especially puzzled what kind of games the realtors are playing

Old 03-14-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
I still have questions, see my reply above this. I am especially puzzled what kind of games the realtors are playing
You should give some of these realtor offices a ring,I'm sure they can answer your questions and they may even e-mail you properties with more extensive reviews of the properties. They won't bite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or