U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 09:32 PM

3,020 posts, read 23,614,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I still have questions, see my reply above this. I am especially puzzled what kind of games the realtors are playing
They list come on houses that either don't exist or have been long sold. It is one way to get suckers to call and then they collect the data and hound in a bait and switch type deal.

I tried to buy two listed houses, sight unseen, I was willing to just mail them a check and close the deal with their asking price when I tried to push the sale, they basically said, no but we do have this other house, a total bait - switch.

In fact one of those houses was shopped around for like two years at all kinds of prices. A 2 bd nice house. I even drove out to see it, no sign on the lawn. It probably was sold for like $49K after they played all sorts of games saying as high as $69K. A real **** off, would have been a nice house for me to buy at the original $32K and I would have sent them a check in a heart beat, after they took some pix's at my direction.

NAH you make it sound so easy. I doubt anybody is going to fall over backwards to sell you a house anywhere for a super mark down even in Oil City. Just not how things work these days.

You are far, far better buying without a broker if you can. But first you need a car and to actually get some time on the ground in the actual place. Most of the For Sale signs I actually saw were on the very old super dumps, some did not appear to be occupied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 09:36 PM

5,298 posts, read 5,771,769 times
Boy cosmic,your thread has gotten over 800 views in such a short period.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:41 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,987,755 times
That cant be legal! Do they play those switch games in Florida, California or other expensive states or just in the cheap states?

Did you see any nice houses with for sale signs? How bad were the "dumps"
Let me show you a picture of one:

Did it look like this? That one pictured above is just $13,500 making it easily affordable for me. Nice starter house till I become rich(er) and have enough for one of those huge beautiful $100k houses.

Will be happy to buy any reasonably priced livable house in Oil city just so I can get out of my parents house and out of Florida.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:56 PM

5,298 posts, read 5,771,769 times
My sister paid like 28,000 or 32,000,hers looks real from the pics she showed me when it was on realtor and she painted and put down a new wood floor,nothing major. The one you show looks so sad and would guess it may cost abit to fix up. It does look to have had better days,like I said before you should also check franklin out too.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:01 PM

3,020 posts, read 23,614,216 times
Quote:
That cant be legal! Do they play those switch games in Florida, California or other expensive states or just in the cheap states?

Did you see any nice houses with for sale signs? How bad were the "dumps"
Let me show you a picture of one:

Did it look like this? That one pictured above is just $13,500 making it easily affordable for me. Nice starter house till I become rich(er) and have enough for one of those huge beautiful $100k houses.

Will be happy to buy any reasonably priced livable house in Oil city just so I can get out of my parents house and out of Florida.
Yup a bunch of them looked like that. That pix makes it look far, far better than it actually is. I sort of remember one just like that. Was an entire area coming in like the back way down toward that Giant Eagle food store. Some real dumps and you ain't going to be able to live in one of those. Probably make zero sense to attempt to rehab it either. Many of those houses had horrible views, another dump was all you would see.

There were some "For Sale by Owner" signs up the hill in a better section of smaller houses. About where that guy in the blue jacket walking the pup that didn't wave back was walking.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:34 AM

17,835 posts, read 29,959,736 times
Quote:
Yup they do. A house may sell but the Realtors leave the sign up until closing. So that when people call they can "show" them different properties.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:56 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,987,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
Yup they do. A house may sell but the Realtors leave the sign up until closing. So that when people call they can "show" them different properties.

Well then maybe thats OK because a house isnt officially sold till closure and the buyer could still back out. But once the house closes, its sold and the sign and ADs must be removed. Thats probably what its like in Oil city, lots of houses already sold because the price is so good.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:06 PM

1,025 posts, read 3,764,788 times
Need_affordable_home, perhaps you should be getting a percentage from some of the most recent homes sales. You sure put that place back on the map! It is really quite an interesting small town -- historically, geograhically and architecturally, but most of us had never heard of it before seeing your posts on City-Data.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:12 PM

669 posts, read 2,944,714 times
And NAH,

when you said "seller said it's a very nice house", I have to ask.

Why would any seller say it's NOT a very nice house? Are you THAT gullible? They'll say anything so you'll buy it. Sorry but, DUH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or