U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 04:18 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,225,593 times

Advertisements

Averages from St. Louis: Jan. 21-39, Feb. 25-44, Mar. 34-54, Apr. 46-67, May 55-76, Jun. 65-85, Jul. 69-89, Aug. 67-87, Sep. 59-80, Oct. 48-69, Nov. 36-54, Dec. 26-43, Year 46-66

Actually, St. Louis weather is pretty similar to Jersey weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 08:16 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,901,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubLR View Post
Little Rock has a lot colder winters than you would think. There have been many days this year where the temperature has struggled to rise above freezing, and lows falling well into the single digits.
Little Rock hardly gets any snow though.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
I'd have to say either Little Rock, Arkansas or Tulsa, Oklahoma when you deal with things like hot summers and cold winters. They're far enough north to get much snowfall, and far enough south to get the effects of southwest and southerly winds.
Maybe for Tulsa, but Little Rock hardly ever gets a big snowfall. Snow is incredibly rare in Little Rock. Tulsa is different because it is right in the line of winter storms that start in the Southwest, move across the Southern Plains and roughly follow the Interstate 44 corridor. Little Rock is too far south and east to get much snow. Normally snow in Arkansas does not occur except for the Ozarks in extreme northwest Arkansas.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Sure, Phoenix is bad in the middle of summer, but huge portions of California and the SW (santa fe comes to mind) are actually more comfortable in the summer compared to the midwest.
That I agree with. The Midwest is far more humid...a dry 90 degrees is NOTHING compared to a humid 90 degrees.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:26 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,394,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
That I agree with. The Midwest is far more humid...a dry 90 degrees is NOTHING compared to a humid 90 degrees.
Well, 90 and dry is actually a "cool spell" in most areas of the Southwest, whereas 90 and humid is not normal at all in most areas of the Midwest. Midwestern summers are far more forgiving than most areas of the Southwest. Trust me on that. I can get away with not running the A/C in Chicago for well over 1/2 the summer (if not more). You cannot do that in most areas of the Southwest. So therefore, I do not consider most areas of the Midwest to have "bad winters but long, hot summers".

Old 02-01-2009, 08:43 PM

135 posts, read 462,245 times
Thumbs up I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
And nobody knows long, hot, humid summers (April through October), until they have lived in SW Florida. Try 90+ degrees everyday.
Right on. My mother lives in Tampa and I spent a few summers there while in college and it can be brutal. IMO, it's not so much the air temp, but the humidity..ugh. That heat is not for the weak-lol.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:23 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,047,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Class View Post
Right on. My mother lives in Tampa and I spent a few summers there while in college and it can be brutal. IMO, it's not so much the air temp, but the humidity..ugh. That heat is not for the weak-lol.
Exactly. I've always wondered why people say "you have to toughen up" if someone complains about the cold but they never say "you have to toughen up" if someone complains about the heat. As someone that likes the heat, I should get respect for being just as tough as the people that like the cold.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:11 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,366,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
my guess is maybe dealing with cold and snow is worse than heat and humidity for a lot of people b/c you don't have to shovel sunshine or humidity. Driving is the same whether its 85 out or 110 out unlike when its cold and there is ice and snow. It's probably not so much the cold but the ice and snow associated with it that gets people.
True, but then again that's all just personal preference. I can handle cold and even snow much better than heat any day.

I don't even have a car, so I don't care about driving in certain temps. I actually love it when it snows, but I do like when it melts away quickly.

Before our thaw yesterday, we had actually reached one of the all-time longest periods in Chicago's history with 6 inches of snow on the ground....and it was only 3 weeks.

I think people assume it snows here in December and then just sits and piles up until March or something. This winter has been extreme, but usually when it snows in the Midwest it melts away within a few weeks at the most. At least in places like Iowa and Illinois and east... Certainly not every year, our weather is far from stable...but for the most part.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:13 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,366,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
True, but you're down in St. Louis. Even up here in Chicago the summers tend to be much cooler and less humid than you folks 5 hours to our south. Your average high in July is above 90! Ack, I'd melt...

Old 02-02-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
True, but you're down in St. Louis. Even up here in Chicago the summers tend to be much cooler and less humid than you folks 5 hours to our south. Your average high in July is above 90! Ack, I'd melt...
Surprising, considering Chicago reaches above 90 usually at least several times during the summer and has been prone to heat waves. Indy, Columbus, Kansas City, Cincinnati, and St. Louis all do pretty bad in the summertime, particularly the latter three. Chicago, Detroit, and Cleveland all are lucky enough to have the Great Lakes to moderate out their temperatures in the summer. At any rate, all of these cities have cold winters. The five other cities I mentioned (Indy, Columbus, KC, Cincinnati, St. Louis) all have hot summers and cold, moderately snowy winters. Not harsh like Chicago or Detroit, but enough to be true winters for sure. If you want 4 distinct seasons, pretty much anywhere in the Midwest or Northeast will do it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or