Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 09:27 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Did I say Omaha's winters are "very hot"? NO! And for the record, I said this about Denver's summers:

Summer is late June through late August. It gets into the 90s, and occasionally above 100 degrees. In addition, late Aug-early Oct. can have summer like temps, also early June.
In addition to being hot, Omaha is humid, very humid, which Denver is NOT!

What's with this accusing me of midwest hate? It is not hating the midwest to say they have hot summers and cold winters. Show me one post where I ever said anything about "hating" the midwest!
Omaha has moderate humidity. If you want "humid, very humid", go to the South. And my point was that if Omaha has summers (I accidentally typed winters) that are "very hot", then so does Denver. And IMO, Denver also has dang cold winters, too. So therefore if youre pointing out the Midwest as having bad winters and long hot summers, then you might as well mention Denver. And I dont wanna hear the "Denver is pretty sunny in winter" garbage, its still friggin cold in winter and pretty dang toasty in summer (more so than most places in the Midwest).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 10:53 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
St. Louis seems to be a pretty good fit for these criteria.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:26 AM

138 posts, read 369,092 times
Little Rock has a lot colder winters than you would think. There have been many days this year where the temperature has struggled to rise above freezing, and lows falling well into the single digits.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:25 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubLR View Post
Little Rock has a lot colder winters than you would think. There have been many days this year where the temperature has struggled to rise above freezing, and lows falling well into the single digits.
That's not cold. You need to come to Michigan, 25 degrees is a warm winter day here. We had temperatures around -25 a few weeks back (not wind chills, actual air temps.) Anything above freezing is spring!

Old 01-30-2009, 02:26 PM

4,343 posts, read 3,557,800 times
I'd have to say either Little Rock, Arkansas or Tulsa, Oklahoma when you deal with things like hot summers and cold winters. They're far enough north to get much snowfall, and far enough south to get the effects of southwest and southerly winds.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:09 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I always chuckle when people down south and southwest always go on and on all winter long pointing out that it's freezing up north and nice and mild down south.

Why don't I see hoards of people up north commenting for month on end in the summer that it's nice and 82 degrees in Chicago and 110 degrees for days on end in Phoenix?

It's like winters up north are a thing to be made fun of and feeling bad for all the "trapped" people, but then summers just don't count when it's humid and 90-110 degrees....
Sure, Phoenix is bad in the middle of summer, but huge portions of California and the SW (santa fe comes to mind) are actually more comfortable in the summer compared to the midwest.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:03 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
And nobody knows long, hot, humid summers (April through October), until they have lived in SW Florida. Try 90+ degrees everyday.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:05 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Omaha has moderate humidity. If you want "humid, very humid", go to the South. And my point was that if Omaha has summers (I accidentally typed winters) that are "very hot", then so does Denver. And IMO, Denver also has dang cold winters, too. So therefore if youre pointing out the Midwest as having bad winters and long hot summers, then you might as well mention Denver. And I dont wanna hear the "Denver is pretty sunny in winter" garbage, its still friggin cold in winter and pretty dang toasty in summer (more so than most places in the Midwest).
"The South" is a large area with various amounts of humidity and anywhere from mild to scorching summers. I mean...the Appalachian Mountains come all the way down to North Georgia.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:12 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Cold winters wouldn't be a problem either, if the infrastructure in the US were robust enough to handle them. But it's amazing that every winter hundreds of thousands of people are left freezing (sometimes to death) in their homes without power and water. Don't utility companies ever learn from those outages? In other countries with low winter temperatures, snow storms etc. electricity cables are usually underground, for a good reason.
No wonder everybody is moving south or west

Old 01-31-2009, 10:30 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Sure, Phoenix is bad in the middle of summer, but huge portions of California and the SW (santa fe comes to mind) are actually more comfortable in the summer compared to the midwest.
We're talking about "bad winters but long hot summers", and California doesnt fit that at all. And Id agree that Santa Fe is more comfortable than MOST places in the Midwest, but that really all depends on what your definition of "comfortable" is. I prefer a little moisture in the air (its good for the body), something Santa Fe doesnt have much of. I enjoy Santa Fe's summer temps, but if they could add about 20-30% more humidity to the air it would be near perfect to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.