U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 02:15 AM

38 posts, read 141,864 times

Advertisements

I love browsing threads from states I've never been and might never end up and I've noticed a pattern. I feel like no matter which state i look at, when regarding the weather residents always say something along the lines of "the winters are bad but we have wonderful long hot summers." I'm from New Jersey. Our summers last from the middle of may to the middle September about. during late June, July and august it stays around 78-85, although we've been known to have heatwaves that could reach into the high 90s or cold spells where it could drop into the 60s.

I just can't imagine a place like North Dakota or Michigan or Maine having a summer like the ones i have at home, and i consider my summers to be long, hot and wonderful. My question is, where are you from, and what do you consider your summer to be like? Basically how long does it last and how hot and cold does it get?

(I realize that how you feel about your summer is probably all relative to how long and cold your winter is, so feel free to say that too lol.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 02:43 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,002,580 times
I dont understand why so many people on here have a problem with winter but they love summer. Personally, I hate the summers here in Memphis. From late May to mid September the highs stay above 90 most of the time. July & August have highs above 95 on most days. It's also very humid. You cant stay outside more than 10 minutes without feeling like you need to take a shower.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:39 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,320,132 times
In Maine the summers typically run from mid June to mid September.
July and August are beautiful with brilliant blue skies and temps from 70-85 degrees. There are usually between 3 and 5 days where it gets uncomfortably hot.

Autumn is about 1.5 months long and the temps can be between 45 and 65 with very little precipitation, dry crisp days, and pretty chilly nights.

Spring is wet. The air can be chilly but the sun usually helps warm up during the day.

Winter runs from mid Nov thru mid April and is fridgid. Not upper mid-west fridgid but pretty cold just the same.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:10 AM

6,046 posts, read 10,050,459 times
I don't understand this topic. Bad winters and long, hot summers? Long, hot summers typically mean mild winters. Bad winters typically mean short summers.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:17 AM

6,488 posts, read 16,157,019 times
Winter lasts from early December until early April. It's not all that cold, being we're influenced by the warmer Atlantic waters, etc. Snow happens sometimes, rain happens others. Snow doesn't cover the ground all winter long, it comes and goes. The first few snowfalls I actually look forward to shoveling the walk. It's exercise and one of the few times you spend any time chatting w/ neighbors. I enjoy the winter, the snow, the skiing, the bundling up, the hot cocoa. But by March I'm over it and ready for something different. Then Spring comes.

Summer lasts from the end of May until mid-September. The OP described it well. I enjoy summer, the shore, the camping, dining al fresco, barbecues. I love the long daytime hours, baseball and fresh seafood, but I hate running around the city, in hot subway stations, in a schvitz from head to toe. I hate entering a steamy hot automobile. By the end of August I'm over it and ready for something different. Then Autumn comes.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:31 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,375,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emstee22 View Post
I love browsing threads from states I've never been and might never end up and I've noticed a pattern. I feel like no matter which state i look at, when regarding the weather residents always say something along the lines of "the winters are bad but we have wonderful long hot summers." I'm from New Jersey. Our summers last from the middle of may to the middle September about. during late June, July and august it stays around 78-85, although we've been known to have heatwaves that could reach into the high 90s or cold spells where it could drop into the 60s.

I just can't imagine a place like North Dakota or Michigan or Maine having a summer like the ones i have at home, and i consider my summers to be long, hot and wonderful. My question is, where are you from, and what do you consider your summer to be like? Basically how long does it last and how hot and cold does it get?

(I realize that how you feel about your summer is probably all relative to how long and cold your winter is, so feel free to say that too lol.)
I think people assume that North Dakota and places in the upper Midwest have loooong winters and short little summers. They don't. They just have COLD winters, and then warm summers.

North Dakota Averages:

January: 15
February: 25
March: 38
April: 58
May: 70
June: 80
July: 82
August: 82
September: 70
October: 60
November: 32
December: 20

People think summer is as long as winter. What tends to happen is that winter NOSE DIVES from November 15th through around February 1st, then springs back up from February through March. The highs go from 18 at the beginning of February to around 50 by the beginning of April.

Then things level off from late May through early September around 80 degrees. Then Sept and Oct are nice and "fall" and you start the nose dive again.

Basically November and December are the "bracing" months where things decend. January is what I think of as the REAL winter month. The holidays are over, and the month usually hovers around the same cold temp the entire month. Then February comes along and things slowly start racing warm again. Once it starts warming up, it does wonders for your mood. You know the worst is over and it's only getting better.

Luckly summer hits with really decent temps by June 1st, and they kinda peak out for the most part and stay really nice for over 3 months.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:42 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,375,148 times
Anyway, that was North Dakota.

Here are the averages for mid month for Chicago:

January: 32
Februay: 38
March: 47
April: 59
May: 70
June: 80
July: 84
August: 83
September: 76
October: 64
November: 49
December: 37

Of course these are averages. Summer tends to be much more stable with temps than winter. Last summer I think we were in the 90's maybe 3 times? We basically sat in the upper 70's and mostly 80's for over 3 months.

Winter it can be crazy. Around Christmas this year we were 65 degrees, than a few weeks later it was -17. This winter has been COLD though and very snowy. We were above freezing for 2 hours last week, and that's probably going to be the only time above freezing for a 26 day period! That's VERY unusual. People have just gotten use to it though, I don't even hear much complaining anymore. All I know is - people are going to go NUTS this summer. I plan on being out enjoying every second of it. It really makes you appreciative.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:09 PM

11 posts, read 44,418 times
for me chicago seasons go like this
spring: st. patrick's day til memorial day
summer:memorial day til mid-september
fall-mid: september to thanksgiving
winter: thanksgiving to st. patrick's day

Old 01-28-2009, 05:42 PM

8,006 posts, read 16,061,917 times
In Maine, the summer is NOT as long as it is in Jersey. In fact, it's about 2 weeks shorter than it is for my family where I grew up about 2 hours South of where I live in Maine (they live in Mass.).

As much as people b*tch about the winter, it's the spring in Maine that kills me. The spring is wet and muddy and buggy. a MISERABLE time to be in Maine... I'd actually rather shovel snow. I sure do miss nice springs (where you can get out and admire the nice budding trees and enjoy the weather).

Winter is longer (Fall is shorter as a result) and the summer is short. However, the summers in Maine are beautiful. I wouldn't say hot, but between 70-80 is normal and the weather is just perfect. It's like this in all of New England really. The water in Maine (in the oceans at least) is too cold for swimming but it's pretty.

Range of seasons in Maine (Portland Area)...
Spring: April-June
Summer: July, August and 1st week of September
Fall: 3/4 of September through Mid November
Winter: Mid November through April

Old 01-28-2009, 05:50 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,788,160 times
averages in my area of San Diego:
Jan 68F 42F
Feb 69F 45F
Mar 70F 47F
Apr 75F 50F
May 77F 54F
Jun 84F 58F
Jul 89F 61F
Aug 89F 63F
Sep 87F 61F
Oct 81F 55F
Nov 74F 46F
Dec 69F 42F

4 months of spring and 8 months of comfortable summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or