U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating from Nevada, seeking city with; access to shopping, restaurants, outdoor recreation, driving distance to lakes, ocean, nearby university, moderately priced housing

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 11:45 AM

6 posts, read 19,378 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking to relocate soon from Nevada. Can anyone recommend some nice places based on the following information.

Top things I am looking for:

1. Access to a lot of restaurants, shopping, etc.
2. A lot of outdoor recreation opportunities (hiking, walking/jogging paths, etc.)
3. An area within driving distance to lakes or the ocean (2 hours or less preferably).
4. An area with a lot of trees or rolling green hills (NO ugly desert!).
5. Low crime (an area where it is safe to walk or run outside).
6. Moderately priced housing
7. Decent public schools
8. Good universities nearby ( I would like to someday get my Master's Degree).

Things that do not really matter

1. The weather (although I would prefer to move somewhere that is not that dry due to allergies).
2. Whether it is a small town or suburban area (as long as a big city is not that far away).
3. Anywhere in the country, but the Midwest is definitely at the bottom of the list.

I am basically looking for the opposite of Nevada. I am tired of the ugly dry desert with no trees and seeing all brown all the time. I do not want to have to drive 3 hours anymore to get to a mall or restaurant. I do not want to live in a town where all the houses are poorly constructed and there hasn't been any new housing built in a long time. Most of all all the towns in Nevada look so run down and are filled with crime.

If anyone has any suggestions based on places they have lived or traveled to let me know. Thanks!

Last edited by beach2020; 01-28-2009 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 11:51 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,226,890 times
Asheville, North Carolina.

Explore Asheville, NC | Asheville, NC's Official Tourism Web Site
Asheville, Asheville nc Guide to Asheville North Carolina, asheville nc and WNC
BILTMORE in Asheville, North Carolina, Americas Largest Home and More! (attraction)

Not a huge city in itself, but it has a very thriving arts community with lots of funky shops, restaurants, and things like that. In an excellent outdoor/mountain setting with tons of outdoorsy stuff to do. Four distinct seasons. Only about 1.5 hours to Charlotte (2 million people metro) and a 3.5 hour drive to Atlanta (5.2 million people metro), though the ocean is probably 4.5 hours or so I guess, but there are lakes, rivers, etc.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:24 PM

6 posts, read 19,378 times
Thanks for your suggestion. North Carolina is actually one of the top places I am considering. I have heard a lot of good things about the state. I have never been there so I was hoping for some suggestions on here. Thanks!

Old 01-28-2009, 12:51 PM

196 posts, read 568,140 times
I would suggest somewhere around Seattle.

The area is very beautiful, and offers everything you describe. Here are some pics.

Seattle Pan HDR (by papalars (http://www.flickr.com/photos/papalars/ - broken link)) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/papalars/ - broken link)

Seattle From Gasworks (by Elephant wearing striped pants) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/fahdad/ - broken link)

Seattle Shopping District (by Photobucket User)

These are some of the "outdoor recreation opportunities" you are going to have access to.

(by photobucket user)

(by photobucket user)

(by photobucket user)

More can be found in the below links:

Link 1
Link 2

Old 01-28-2009, 12:51 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,756,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach2020 View Post
Hello, I am looking to relocate soon from Nevada. Can anyone recommend some nice places based on the following information.

Top things I am looking for:

1. Access to a lot of restaurants, shopping, etc.
2. A lot of outdoor recreation opportunities (hiking, walking/jogging paths, etc.)
3. An area within driving distance to lakes or the ocean (2 hours or less preferably).
4. An area with a lot of trees or rolling green hills (NO ugly desert!).
5. Low crime (an area where it is safe to walk or run outside).
6. Moderately priced housing
7. Decent public schools
8. Good universities nearby ( I would like to someday get my Master's Degree).

Things that do not really matter

1. The weather (although I would prefer to move somewhere that is not that dry due to allergies).
2. Whether it is a small town or suburban area (as long as a big city is not that far away).
3. Anywhere in the country, but the Midwest is definitely at the bottom of the list.

I am basically looking for the opposite of Nevada. I am tired of the ugly dry desert with no trees and seeing all brown all the time. I do not want to have to drive 3 hours anymore to get to a mall or restaurant. I do not want to live in a town where all the houses are poorly constructed and there hasn't been any new housing built in a long time. Most of all all the towns in Nevada look so run down and are filled with crime.

If anyone has any suggestions based on places they have lived or traveled to let me know. Thanks!
Minneapolis
1. Tons of restaurants and shopping, but not to the same caliber that is seen on the coasts or Chicago. Restaurants at all price ranges and from all ethnicities, some are local landmarks and many are owned by immigrants and families. Shopping is not as high-end here, but there is the Mall of America, downtown Minneapolis, Uptown and a whole array of other areas. There is no tax on food or clothing/shoes in the State of Minnesota.
2. Mpls. is one of the fittest cities in America. Millions of people jog around our lakes and creeks, especially the Grand Rounds and the Chain of Lakes in the City of Mpls. There are trails for both jogging and biking almost everywhere.
3. This may not seem like an aquatic state, but we have more shoreline than California and more boats per capita than Florida. If your hardy, there is something to do on the lakes year-round.
4. The state is very green, whether it be the Northern Pines or the deciduous forests closer to, and south of, the Cities (or the Cities themselves, for that matter) Water is plentiful and the soil is some of the best on Earth.
5. Except for a couple areas, Minneapolis is quite safe. It is a large city, and that begs some common sense.
6. I think the average home price is in the 180s, the average single-family home is in the 230s.
7. Minnesota, and most of the Midwest, is renowned for its commitment to education on all levels. Our ACT scores are among the highest in the nation and public schools (with few exceptions) are wonderful places to be. Families that would send their kids to private schools in most other places send them to public school here because the two are competitive here.
8. Minneapolis is the main campus for the Univ. of Minn.. It is the fourth largest in the country and has nearly every conceivable major and program. Its status is solid, and rising quickly with the level of investment in it. Saint Paul is home to Saint Catherine's (former all-womens school), Saint Thomas (Catholic) and Wm. Mitchell (Law) and Hamline, all of which offer graduate degrees.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:59 PM

5,721 posts, read 9,086,134 times
Any New England state will work.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:01 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,324,591 times
A few cities in the Carolinas sound like they might be good fits for you: Asheville, Charlotte, Charleston, Columbia, Greenville, etc. Asheville and Greenville are a little farther than 2 hours from the ocean, but rivers and lakes are in close proximity.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:39 PM

11,874 posts, read 32,904,313 times
Check out East Tennessee. Not only are there tons of lakes and mountains, but Tennessee is a very low-tax state. Nevada is one of the few states with lower taxes than TN (NC's are higher).

Chattanooga is a medium-sized city surrounded by leafy green mountains and with a couple of huge lakes adjacent. From downtown Chattanooga you can be hanggliding in a half hour and whitewater rafting in an hour (where the '96 Olympics had its whitewater rafting events).

Chattanooga has a metro population of about 500,000 so it's got lots of dining and shopping. However, it's only 100 miles from Atlanta for those times when you want more options.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:26 PM

56,546 posts, read 80,847,919 times
What about this city?
http://www.syracuseonline.us/images/syracuse.jpg (broken link)

Syracuse University

Le Moyne. Spirit. Inquiry. Leadership. Jesuit

CNYREALTOR.COM | #1 in Syracuse real estate and homes for sale. Search over 6,000 listings.

Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Welcome to Onondaga County, New York

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2007&county=Onondaga (broken link)

Central New York Jobs

Syracuse Apartments for rent in NEW YORK | ApartmentFinder.com

My Pictures of Downtown Syracuse, NY

Also, this city/area is with 5-6 hours of Boston, NYC, Toronto, Montreal, Washington DC, Philadelphia and Cleveland. It is close to Lake Ontario, Oneida Lake and the Finger Lakes of it's state. It is within an hour and a half from the Adirondack Mountains.

Here's some more information to check out:Downtown Syracuse

Syracuse Stage - The Professional Theatre of Central New York

Welcome to Syracuse Opera!

Syracuse Symphony Orchestra

Armory Square :: Official Website for Historic Downtown Syracuse, NY

Onondaga County Parks

and much more

Old 01-28-2009, 04:37 PM

6,958 posts, read 14,089,206 times
Eugene, OR

Its motto is "The World's Greatest City of the Arts and Outdoors" so there is plenty do culturally and outdoors.

From Wiki: "Along Oregon Route 58, are several reservoirs and lakes, the Oakridge mountain bike trails, hot springs, and waterfalls within Willamette National Forest." "The nearest ski resort, Willamette Pass, is one hour from Eugene by car." "Eugene residents also frequent Hoodoo and Mount Bachelor ski resorts. The Three Sisters Wilderness, the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area and Smith Rock are just a short drive away." "The city is also noted for its natural beauty, activist political leanings, alternative lifestyles, recreational opportunities (especially bicycling, rafting, and kayaking), and focus on the arts."

The city is very green and forest-y.
http://trends.move.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/eugene.jpg (broken link)

http://www.uoregon.edu/_images/photo_eugene.png (broken link)

According toModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed 91% graduate high school which is above the national average of 80%. 22% are 4 year college graduates which is above the average of 15%. 15.5% have a graduate degree compared to 7% nationally. The University of Oregon has an extremely good reputation and is located in the city. Because of the university there, I'm sure the downtown area is quite vibrant with lots of cafes and restaurants.

The average home price is $350,500.

The Cost of Living is only 105 while the national average is 100. That's not much higher compared to other cities like LA, SF, NYC, etc.

It is definitely not dry there, but that is what makes it one of the most beautiful cities in the country.

Eugene has about 150k in the city and 350k in the metro so it is a good sized city that has plenty of amenities, but if needed, Portland, a city of about 575k and a metro of over 2mil is just a two hour drive north. On the way, you will drive through the Willamette Valley which is the main population corridor of Oregon with several cities along the way.

Salem, Oregon and many of the other cities in the Willamette Valley are almost identical and not that far away from each other. You would most likely enjoy any one of those cities.

Last edited by Yac; 02-24-2009 at 05:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or