U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 02:30 PM

8,006 posts, read 16,061,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I'd also say Tennessee or North Carolina. Boone North Carolina would be nice if your younger since it's a college town. I'd also check out somewhere in New England like New Hampshire? Ever heard of Mount Washington? It's beautiful there.
Mt. Washington (and the surrounding White Mountain National Forest) was about 50% of my reasoning behind Portland, Maine... only about an hour's drive from Mt. Washington. In fact, Mt. Washington is visible from MANY places in and around Portland (many people don't realize this). The aerial shot of Portland ME on Wikipedia actually puts in perspective how close it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 06:48 PM

3 posts, read 3,679 times
I am somewhat unfamiliar with the east coast area, but I will take in the comments into considerations. Portland Maine sounds nice. Any more suggestions or comments about the west coast?

Old 01-29-2009, 08:13 PM

5,539 posts, read 9,941,383 times
I know you mentioned Colorado, and there is definitely great hiking and scenery there. Look as well at Utah, which I think has the prettiest scenery in the west - the landscape shots you could get in Arches NP would be worth the trip. I also really liked the area around Santa Fe in New Mexico, but I think Santa Fe is pretty expensive, if that's a factor. It's also a pretty small city.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:28 AM

1,196 posts, read 4,340,949 times
You should definitely look into the Mountain West region. Look at:

Boise, ID
Seattle, WA
Portland, OR
Eugene, OR
Reno, NV
Las Vegas, NV
Salt Lake City, UT
Albuquerque, NM
Boulder, CO
Denver, CO
Montana
Wyoming

Old 01-30-2009, 02:40 AM

564 posts, read 1,277,928 times
Well, I kind of feel obligated to jump in and suggest my college town of Flagstaff, AZ......convenient to a lot of spectacular hikes and many different areas such as Sedona, AZ and hit the road for a few hours you can be in Phoenix, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Albuquerque some pretty cool places up in Utah, etc. I'm guessing you'll want to travel to a lot of cool places out west here and I think Flagstaff is a pretty cool base of operations if you want to hit a lot of the American southwest.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:21 PM

1,196 posts, read 4,340,949 times
Very true, Flagstaff would be a great choice.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:13 PM

608 posts, read 1,274,272 times
I'm in agreement with previous posts mentioning Santa Fe and Albuquerque in New Mexico. New Mexico has plenty of beautiful national parks, and it certainly doesn't want for hiking trails and outdoor opportunities - they're just about everywhere you look.

Santa Fe is quite a bit smaller than Albuquerque, but as somebody mentioned previously, it's a pretty expensive place to live. If that doesn't scare you off, I recommend taking a look. I've always heard that photographers love practicing their trade in the Land of Enchantment.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:26 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,463,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mupps View Post
The East Coast of Australia is great, and I feel very happy living here, especially on the Gold Coast. The weather is absolutely great, and the people are also great. I have lots of wonderful friends here. Lots of hiking trails within an hour or less, and the beach is only 15 minutes away. I just want a change of scenery - and I really love the USA national parks - madly in love! The ice capped mountains are gorgeous. Thanks for the tip I'll read up on NC. I have been to Tennessee (Gatlinburg - to the Smoky Mountains national park) the town feels too touristy and small to me though but I quite like it. Can you please be more specific e.g. suggesting a few towns around those states that you mentioned? Thank you.
G'day from a former South Australian. If you love National Parks and don't plan to work I'd recommend the southwest. Best holiday I spent in the US was visiting all the national parks in Utah - Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce, Zion... as well as visiting Monument Valley. In the summer you will see coaches, campers and cars from different countries all doing lengthy vacations. We even saw a camper with Aussie plates! Spectacular. On that trip I also went to MEsa Verde National Park. I'd base myself in Northern Arizona, Flagstaff which has a Uni and so there are young kids about town..

From Flagstaff you can make trips to all the wonders of the area. You do know you will need a car? The US allows a car brought over by visitors for up to one year. Not sure where you'd go about getting insurance but I think you can keep your rego and Qld plates.

The scenery in the SW reminds me a tad of the Kimberly but much more spectacular and varied..

Other things to bring would be vegemite. You can buy Tim Tams at Target (which is much better in the US than in Oz).

PS I just read post #15 so now you have two people recommending flagstaff. You can go on www.craigslist.com to see what rentals would be like.. its the US version of gumtree.com.au. Also, I have not come across a US version of realestate.com.au but craigslist seems to fill the void for flat rentals. Finally I was back in ADL for Chrissie and I flew Air New Zealand.. they are running great fares right now. Not sure if they fly to Brissie -- they must. While I felt bad cheating on Qantas I was surprised that I liked them better.

Last edited by minibrings; 01-30-2009 at 03:36 PM..

Old 01-30-2009, 05:07 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,788,160 times
I agree with the Mountain west- Denver, other parts of Colorado, Santa Fe, NM, Park City, UT. You will enjoy these. Being from Australia, I don't think you would be particularly impressed with the South.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:34 PM

398 posts, read 1,163,718 times
I would definitely recommend living out West for the National Parks. I currently live an hour from Denver and we can get to most of the Western National Parks in about a day and a half. This was one of the things that excited me so much about moving here from the North East. I love the parks out here and want to see all of them! Glacier NP in Montana has to be my favorite park so far, so don't miss out on seeing that one!

I haven't spent much time in any of the other cities, but Denver is great. There are easily a hundred parks within a 60-90 minute drive of Denver, so you won't run out of hiking/biking trails anytime soon!

Also, coming from someone from the North East, I think you'll find that the West has a much greater number of National Parks in a days drive than you would find up in New England. I grew up in Connecticut (southern New England), and there were only a handful of National Parks that were within a days drive; most of them are further south and west. Don't get me wrong, New England is gorgeous, but if you want to live near the greatest concentration of National Parks then you can't go wrong with the West. Actually, if you want to live near the greatest concentration of National Parks then you should go to California! But, I haven't spent much time there so I couldn't really help with suggesting an area. Best of luck and keep us posted!

Last edited by Sleddog905; 01-30-2009 at 05:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or