U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:25 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Nobody ever calls me for my opinion on these things. Oh well.
I live in Kansas City, and would take it over any and all of the top rated cities on that goofy list, and it's not even in my personal top five. Minneapolis is actually one of the nicest, cleanest, safest cities in America. Too cold for wusses, though. Wusses commit most crime, apparently.
If most people want to live in lala land, then so be it.
KC is definitely too far south to have decent "sustained" cold and snowfall. In fact, if you follow the latitude line to the east KC is only just a little further north than Louisville, KY.
KC is just not that Midwestern compared with Minneapolis, Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Dubuque, Madison, Chicago, Grand Rapids, etc.
KC is strongly influenced these days by cities off to the south and west IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 08:34 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,746,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
KC is definitely too far south to have decent "sustained" cold and snowfall. In fact, if you follow the latitude line to the east KC is only just a little further north than Louisville, KY.
KC is just not that Midwestern compared with Minneapolis, Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Dubuque, Madison, Chicago, Grand Rapids, etc.
KC is strongly influenced these days by cities off to the south and west IMO.
True. That's why I'd like to go further north next time. Still too hot in the summer, and not enough snow to justify the cold snaps.
Compared to the south, though, KC is much colder in winter, milder in summer, and more northern in culture than most anything that lies south of it.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:28 PM

15,453 posts, read 25,401,064 times
Quote:
I thought those calls were supposed to be a random sampling of Americana. So much for that.

Crime-ridden New Orleans, Memphis, Atlanta, Little Rock, Houston, Dallas, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Miami.. or any other town in Florida.. not exactly safest cities in America material. Boston, Minneapolis, Seattle.. are, but not without there own problems, of course. The south has some okay qualities, as does the north. My personal preference is north for more reasons than I could ever explain in one post.

Oh yeah, some of us love winter.
Los Angeles has a lower crime rate than Boston, Minneapolis, and Seattle and none of those 3 cities are even close to being one of the safest cities in America.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:45 AM

3,326 posts, read 7,746,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Los Angeles has a lower crime rate than Boston, Minneapolis, and Seattle and none of those 3 cities are even close to being one of the safest cities in America.
Okay, comparing 3+ million L.A. to 400k Minneapolis is a stretch, but I'll take Minneapolis' worst neighborhood any day over L.A.'s worst neighborhood. No comparison there. The lower populations make the crime look much worse than it really is, because in those smaller towns, the bad areas are always concentrated in the inner cities, while the outlying areas are usually very safe. Overall, those smaller cities are much more livable, in my opinion.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Okay, comparing 3+ million L.A. to 400k Minneapolis is a stretch, but I'll take Minneapolis' worst neighborhood any day over L.A.'s worst neighborhood. No comparison there. The lower populations make the crime look much worse than it really is, because in those smaller towns, the bad areas are always concentrated in the inner cities, while the outlying areas are usually very safe. Overall, those smaller cities are much more livable, in my opinion.
It's a crime RATE, which takes population into account and is a fair comparison. Crime in LA is concentrated in inner city neighborhoods as well like other cities so i don't see the difference there.

Also i really don't see how you can say that LA is not comparable when you were the one comparing LA to those cities in the first place. Kind of hypocritical to say you can't compare them after you realize LA actually has a lower crime rate than those cities you thought were safer.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:16 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,318,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It wasn't a reference to the Holocaust, but a reference to your denial of a well-documented historical fact. People have moved away from your area in droves and relocated to other regions of the country. It isn't a theory.
It also isn't the truth!
Massachusetts' population jumped by a third over the 4 decades that you listed
From 4.6 to 6.4 million and it is currently the 3rd most densely populated state in the country.
So, while it hasn't increased in population as much by percentage as other states, it certainly isn't losing people in droves.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
I am not going to argue anymore, because as someone said, I am probably ruining this thread for people. But I just want to tell you I am not a racist.
I feel for ya dem.
I am reading the replies to your cogent and sensible posts and I am scratching my head.
Did Katiana really just call you racist?!

Old 02-04-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
More people left the Northeast than came in. That's all the proof you need that people are leaving the Northeast. And yes, what I said was an opinion, but clearly a lot of people agree with me and they're voting with their feet. This is the first I've heard of the Northeast=the American way of life.
That's because you are a kid.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
If you increased the borders of Boston to match the size of LA, the crime rate in Boston would plummet.
Boston is almost completely urban in character. LA has urban parts but it also encompasses vast swaths of low crime suburbia.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
If you increased the borders of Boston to match the size of LA, the crime rate in Boston would plummet.
Boston is almost completely urban in character. LA has urban parts but it also encompasses vast swaths of low crime suburbia.
Yes, if you fudge around with any cities limits you could theoretically lower the crime rate if you wanted to. Either way it is what it is whether or not you like the statistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or