Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 11:41 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yes, if you fudge around with any cities limits you could theoretically lower the crime rate if you wanted to. Either way it is what it is whether or not you like the statistic.
Yes, it is what it is.
And if Boston were the same size as LA it would be a vastly safer city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 11:44 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Yes, it is what it is.
And if Boston were the same size as LA it would be a vastly safer city.
and IF being the key word, but its not and won't be. Keep making up scenarios and excuses if you want but it doesn't change facts or statistics.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:50 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
The population of the NE has been growing, but not as fast as other regions. One of the main reasons people leave or migrate to a region is because JOBS. Many of the employment centers in upstate NY are closed or relocated. Where did the jobs go? South, to take advantage of lower labor costs and lower levels of unionization. In other words, the jobs that once drove NY's population gains are now down South, driving that region's population gain. Not everyone who moves to the Sunbelt does so because "the weather's nicer"--they are just trying to stay employed!

From an economic point of view, it is harder to live in NY now than it was 50 years ago.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
In 1950, the availability of air conditioners for the cooling of homes exploded.

In 1950 declines in the northern population began.

Coincidence?
Yes, coincidence. First of all, the "northern population" did not decline, if you are talking about the NE & Midwest regions. What DID happen was that the RATE of increase began slow down in those regions. Yes, most major cities in those regions had population declines coinciding with the building of freeways and the rise of the suburbs, but I believe only one or two metro areas in the NE or Midwest had absolute population declines in any census between 1950 and 2000 (Pgh. & possibly Buffalo--can someone verify?)

AC made humid and desert parts of the country more livable, but that's not why the population growth of the NE and Midwest moderated. It had much more to do with JOBS! The NE and Midwest no longer have the concentration of jobs that pay middle-income wages that they did pre-1950. The number one reason people between the ages of 21 and 65 move is for employement, not for air conditioning or weather.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yes, if you fudge around with any cities limits you could theoretically lower the crime rate if you wanted to. Either way it is what it is whether or not you like the statistic.
What a bogus response! This is city-data, for cripesakes! Plenty of room here for critical thinking.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:14 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
What a bogus response! This is city-data, for cripesakes! Plenty of room here for critical thinking.
gee, you sure added to the conversation with this. Yes its City-Data and I'm entitled to my opinion about someone's response to me. Next time you quote me try to actually add something to the debate instead of just insulting my opinion, like you've done before.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:47 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
Since many people in the US haven't traveled extensively to all regions, and even those that do often tend to do only touristy things and therefore don't experience the "real" city, keep in mind that this survey is about perception versus reality. If you read the study's summary they also point out that Americans are "all over the map" in terms of ideal community type.

My own tops list (in no particular order) which I know will strike some on this list with horror:
1. Minneapolis (relatively big city amenities with lower cost)
2. LA (most misunderstood city in the country, I think)
3. NYC
4. San Francisco
5. Boston

Luckily there are many different types of cities, suburbs, and small towns around for people to choose from. I enjoy visiting small towns, but when it comes to actual living would always go for the big city.

The history of this country has always involved people moving around. Tastes, needs, and opportunities all change over time, as this survey vividly demonstrates. Undoubtedly in another generation or two there will be migration away from the West and the South as things shift yet again.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:50 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,479 times
Uptown - your post is logical however i disagree with your last line. I don't think there will be ever be another shift to the north or northeast. Those who experience warm winters for the most part don't want to go back to them. Rolling Stone might disagree with me slightly saying that if global warming continued some of the rust belt cities would gain population -most notably Buffalo - a great place with horrible taxes ( and yes I have traveled extensively to all regions).

Old 02-04-2009, 03:36 PM

15 posts, read 55,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Wow. Whoopee. Yay for you.

Ill tell you what, they sure as hell arent leaving the Midwest and Northeast for good summer weather, change of seasons, excellent schools, good public transportation, gigantic cultural offerings and world class cities. Theyre moving to the South and West for mild winters and cheap (literally) homes.

Ooooooh. Ahhhhhh. We're all amazed.

Oh, and by the way, you can have all those types of people... frees up more jobs here, less traffic, etc, while adding it all into your cities. Enjoy!
I'm with you on this one.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:08 PM

542 posts, read 1,498,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Wow. Whoopee. Yay for you.

Ill tell you what, they sure as hell arent leaving the Midwest and Northeast for good summer weather, change of seasons, excellent schools, good public transportation, gigantic cultural offerings and world class cities. Theyre moving to the South and West for mild winters and cheap (literally) homes.

Ooooooh. Ahhhhhh. We're all amazed.

Oh, and by the way, you can have all those types of people... frees up more jobs here, less traffic, etc, while adding it all into your cities. Enjoy!
Some people are so unreasonably bitter, it's rather hysterical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.