U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 10:22 PM

5 posts, read 20,176 times

Advertisements

I live 1 hour from tampa and orlando traffics terrible in both i guess tampa gets my vote of the two i would rather be in n ga or tn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 04:29 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,454,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
There are some interesting some of the results from different categories such as city preference based on income, education, age, party affiliation, ideology, etc...

http://pewsocialtrends.org/assets/pd...tisfaction.pdf

Only 14% of people who make over $100K want to live in LA vs 33% who make less than $30K. So it looks like not even wealthier people want to live in LA.

Both Denver and San Diego beat out SF, Boston, and Seattle for the percentage of college grads who prefer those cities, which kind of surprised me given each cities reputation.

A slightly higher % of democrats preferred San Diego over San Francisco, another surprise given each cities political repuatations.

A higher percentage of republicans wanted to live with like minded people compared to democrats, 35% vs 24%.

pretty interesting report when you look at it....
Yeah, but remember like you said, the survey also suggests most people prefer a slow pace to a fast pace. Places like SF and Boston probably have too much hustle-and-bustle for them. They are also two of the most expensive cities in the nation, and Seattle isn't exactly cheap either. Maybe today's graduates are more money smart?

Some of these cities are indeed a surprise. I didn't know Denver and San Antonio were so popular. I'm REALLY surprised about Orlando. Who knew?

Old 01-30-2009, 09:31 AM

366 posts, read 1,177,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Hmmmm.... Denver experiences blizzards, sub-zero temps, MORE snow than the Midwest (make that DOUBLE the amount than Chicago gets), awful winds, and a winter that starts earlier and lasts longer than the NE and Midwest. What, the 15% more sun Denver gets is some kind of deal-breaker for snow in October through May sometimes?
I bet if we surveyed 100 people who have experienced both winters, 99 of them would take Denver's winter vs Chicago's.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:41 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,219,013 times
I was surprised at how poorly New York City fared in the study. It was 10th from last place - 75% of Americans wouldn't want to live there, 24% of Americans would.

With all the amenities NYC has, I wonder if there isn't a bit of a backlash from having NYC-mania crammed down everyone's throats by American media.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:46 AM

1,246 posts, read 2,988,179 times
Whenever I think of Western cities like Denver, I think of suburban sprawl, Starbucks everywhere, bored teenagers, and chain stores and malls; pretty scenery, but having to drive long distances to really enjoy it. I visited Denver 30 years ago before it was a "destination city" (stayed there about a week, in fact) and I'm sure I wouldn't recognize it today.

When I think of California, I think of poorly built, oversized, foreclosed houses out in the middle of nowhere in baking hills, with no yards, you're right up your neighbor's nose, etc. Not the kind of life I would want. I'm astonished that so many Americans would find that lifestyle desirable. (or normal)

I don't think any city or state that's experienced a boom over the past 10-15 years would be anywhere I'd want to live. It's too much dependent on a housing bubble that is collapsing and will never come back. Boom towns are great places to live... but only if you're there at the start of the boom. When the boom starts ending (or crashing, as it is in some places now), it's not so great.

Just remember... high property taxes (like we have here in my state, NY) can always potentially be knocked down thru political action. But you can't create water out of thin air (and desalinization plants cause environmental problems); you can't knock down overbuilt neighborhoods and shopping centers so easily; you can't turn around global warming so easily.

I don't understand why so many Americans still want to flock to the Sun Belt... that boom needs to die down somewhat in order to be sane.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:47 AM

15,470 posts, read 25,420,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I was surprised at how poorly New York City fared in the study. It was 10th from last place - 75% of Americans wouldn't want to live there, 24% of Americans would.

With all the amenities NYC has, I wonder if there isn't a bit of a backlash from having NYC-mania crammed down everyone's throats by American media.
NYC is incredibly dense, crowded, congested, and fast paced. Did you read the report and what type of environment many American's prefer? They pretty much prefer the opposite of NYC. It's not a backlash but a simple preference for more space and tranquility.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post

I don't understand why so many Americans still want to flock to the Sun Belt... that boom needs to die down somewhat in order to be sane.
Maybe because what you think about the sunbelt, Denver, and CA, etc.. are not true and greatly exaggerated.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:53 AM

1,246 posts, read 2,988,179 times
It was true of California even back when I visited there almost 20 years ago... awful little subdivisions on tiny plots, and all the houses costing an arm and a leg, and somehow people thought that was paradise. But, to each their own.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:00 AM

505 posts, read 1,225,504 times
Quote:
Wow. Whoopee. Yay for you.

Ill tell you what, they sure as hell arent leaving the Midwest and Northeast for good summer weather, change of seasons, excellent schools, good public transportation, gigantic cultural offerings and world class cities. Theyre moving to the South and West for mild winters and cheap (literally) homes.

Ooooooh. Ahhhhhh. We're all amazed.

Oh, and by the way, you can have all those types of people... frees up more jobs here, less traffic, etc, while adding it all into your cities. Enjoy!
These are my thoughts exactly.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Wow. Whoopee. Yay for you.

Ill tell you what, they sure as hell arent leaving the Midwest and Northeast for good summer weather, change of seasons, excellent schools, good public transportation, gigantic cultural offerings and world class cities. Theyre moving to the South and West for mild winters and cheap (literally) homes.

Ooooooh. Ahhhhhh. We're all amazed.

Oh, and by the way, you can have all those types of people... frees up more jobs here, less traffic, etc, while adding it all into your cities. Enjoy!
some of you northerners get so defensive and bitter about other people's choice to live elsewhere. Get over it already.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or