U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 06:12 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,709,147 times

Advertisements

My top 5 places would be:
1.Houston! (Of course)
2.Chicago
3.Atlanta
4.Dallas
5.Waco,Tx or Charlottesville,Va

I think I'd kill myself if I had to live in NYC or LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 06:13 PM

87,033 posts, read 102,707,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Whenever I think of Western cities like Denver, I think of suburban sprawl, Starbucks everywhere, bored teenagers, and chain stores and malls; pretty scenery, but having to drive long distances to really enjoy it. I visited Denver 30 years ago before it was a "destination city" (stayed there about a week, in fact) and I'm sure I wouldn't recognize it today.

When I think of California, I think of poorly built, oversized, foreclosed houses out in the middle of nowhere in baking hills, with no yards, you're right up your neighbor's nose, etc. Not the kind of life I would want. I'm astonished that so many Americans would find that lifestyle desirable. (or normal)

I don't think any city or state that's experienced a boom over the past 10-15 years would be anywhere I'd want to live. It's too much dependent on a housing bubble that is collapsing and will never come back. Boom towns are great places to live... but only if you're there at the start of the boom. When the boom starts ending (or crashing, as it is in some places now), it's not so great.

Just remember... high property taxes (like we have here in my state, NY) can always potentially be knocked down thru political action. But you can't create water out of thin air (and desalinization plants cause environmental problems); you can't knock down overbuilt neighborhoods and shopping centers so easily; you can't turn around global warming so easily.

I don't understand why so many Americans still want to flock to the Sun Belt... that boom needs to die down somewhat in order to be sane.
I can't speak for California, but I can speak for Colorado, having lived there for the past 29 years (since about the time you last visited). All I can say is "you're wrong". How would you even know what it's like here, not having been here for 30 years? You would recognize Denver if you came back today. The mountains are still to the west. The capitol building with its gold dome is still downtown. Invesco Field at Mile High (a name change) is in the same place.

I have been many places where there is a Starbuck's on every corner.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:09 PM

7,141 posts, read 9,923,476 times
In the northeast at least there are several reasons why so many people are leaving. One of course is the weather and another is the huge and ever increasing local taxes.

But less mentioned is something I keep hearing from both my coworkers and customers in Queens. Its not just the cost of housing but also what you get for your money. When people are spending $400K, $500K, $600K or more they kind of want something more than a 900 sq foot Cape Cod or small ranch thats never been updated.

People are asking - am I supposed to spend a half million dollars or more and have a huge mortgage to live in what is essentially a starter house for the next 30 years?

As Billy Joel might say "Is this all you get for your money"?

So then friends and relatives tell people back north about the huge house and the big yard for the kids they can get in Florida, North Carolina, Georgia etc. Sometimes it is half the price or more of a similar home up North.

Can you really blame people for wanting the American dream for themselves and their children?

Old 01-30-2009, 07:35 PM

362 posts, read 1,633,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
You are correct, Denver has ranked as a great place for a long time. I am just saying that the Convention gave it a little temporary push in popularity which effects would have been felt in any popular city in the same level of good perceptions. Obama was little more unique which put Denver in the secondary limelight. If there was no convention in Denver, Denver would have still placed high on the list.

I came to Denver in the 1970s from Dallas; I am originally from Buffalo, New York. Denver and many other cities where popular destinations out of the rust belt at that time. I remember meeting people who moved here 30 years before me, as a result of the big wave of state in migration that happened because of soldiers stationed in Colorado during and after World War II.

Any large event in a city that gives it a good perception causes some new people to move into that city. Even Buffalo, decayed and badly perceived today, had a day in the limelight. The Pan American Exposition in Buffalo in 1901 gave it exposure, and had popular effects on migration to Buffalo and the Niagara Frontier.

Livecontent
That's a very interesting post, and I have often thought about how certain parts of the country become popular. Obviously, the west is popular right now. I love the west, always have, and not because it's where everyone wants to be. I am originally from Wyoming, but I live in St. Louis right now, but I hope to return out west (probably Denver) after college, but I'm afraid it's just becoming over-crowded. Do you think Denver's "day in the limelight" will end and that it will someday become a rustbelt-type city?

Old 01-30-2009, 08:21 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,558,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethewest View Post
That's a very interesting post, and I have often thought about how certain parts of the country become popular. Obviously, the west is popular right now. I love the west, always have, and not because it's where everyone wants to be. I am originally from Wyoming, but I live in St. Louis right now, but I hope to return out west (probably Denver) after college, but I'm afraid it's just becoming over-crowded. Do you think Denver's "day in the limelight" will end and that it will someday become a rustbelt-type city?
I love Denver, having been here for over 30 years but I think that it too, someday, will not be the city and the state where many people will desire to move or stay. I think it has a very fragile ecology and it will not be able to support too many people. We must remember that it is a semi-arid region with limited water and land that lacks the fertility of many eastern regions that are now in disfavor.

My ex-hometown of Buffalo has much more fertile land and a sustainable environment. People do not know that Western New York, the Niagara Frontier, was the place to be; the area where industry was growing; an area of great opportunity at the turn of the 19th to 20th century. Now, it is in decay, Buffalo is in economic collapse, and the area is not the most desired place to live.

When, I was younger Southern California was the promised land and the place of opportunity. Now it is predicted to have the worse drought conditions in modern times and is suffering from many ills.

I think that Denver and Colorado will suffer similar problems like New York with rising taxes to support a huge government bureaucracy and a big government retirement roles. roads, sewers and infrastructure will get old, like eastern cities, and will require further investment. In addition Colorado will suffer other problems because of the limited water resources.

I think eventually the countries populations will even out and new metropolitan area will come into being and be the places for opportunity.

In addition, I would suggest what is new today, will become old and less desired; and perhaps what is old today, will become renewed, and the place to be for tomorrow. And when that survey in done again, in the year 2043??, Buffalo and Detroit may be the places where people want to live.

What it all comes down to, is needs and desires; we all live in the present, and can only be where the opportunities and the qualities of life are now; the future will make different opportunities and different choices for our progeny.

Livecontent

Old 01-30-2009, 08:50 PM

505 posts, read 1,226,282 times
Where is the proof that people are "leaving" the northeast? Can I have some numbers from a reputable source? Everyone seems to just accept it as a fact. From what I understand, the population is growing everywhere, not just in the south and west.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:40 PM

0 posts, read 1,353,557 times
I hate to come across as a snob but, most Americans enjoy shopping at Wal-Mart. Most Americans are overweight and watch eight hours of television per day. Why would anyone really take care/take offense in where the average American want to live?

I love this country but come on now, this is silly. Who the hell would rather live in Tampa or Orlando over San Francisco, NYC or Boston? LOL.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:44 PM

0 posts, read 1,353,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
My top 5 places would be:
1.Houston! (Of course)
2.Chicago
3.Atlanta
4.Dallas
5.Waco,Tx or Charlottesville,Va

I think I'd kill myself if I had to live in NYC or LA.

Ew.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:45 PM

3,117 posts, read 6,506,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
I hate to come across as a snob but, most Americans enjoy shopping at Wal-Mart. Most Americans are overweight and watch eight hours of television per day. Why would anyone really take care/take offense in where the average American want to live?

I love this country but come on now, this is silly. Who the hell would rather live in Tampa or Orlando over San Francisco, NYC or Boston? LOL.
Oh great... It's europeanpatriot reincarnated.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:12 PM

20,863 posts, read 35,998,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
In the northeast at least there are several reasons why so many people are leaving. One of course is the weather and another is the huge and ever increasing local taxes.

But less mentioned is something I keep hearing from both my coworkers and customers in Queens. Its not just the cost of housing but also what you get for your money. When people are spending $400K, $500K, $600K or more they kind of want something more than a 900 sq foot Cape Cod or small ranch thats never been updated.

People are asking - am I supposed to spend a half million dollars or more and have a huge mortgage to live in what is essentially a starter house for the next 30 years?

As Billy Joel might say "Is this all you get for your money"?

So then friends and relatives tell people back north about the huge house and the big yard for the kids they can get in Florida, North Carolina, Georgia etc. Sometimes it is half the price or more of a similar home up North.

Can you really blame people for wanting the American dream for themselves and their children?
I see your point, but not everyone wants to live in a cheaply built oversized house plopped out in a field either. Also, states like FL, GA, and NC have suffered quite a bit in this current economic recession. They have quite high unemployment rates and negative job growth currently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or