Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 07:25 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times

Advertisements

This is all over the newspapers today 1-29-09

Denver scored tops 43% - I go there often and its a great place but I do hate traffic and Denver's sometimes is horrible.

San Diego - 2nd - I think because of overcrowding its just not as nice as it used to be.

Detroit was at the bottom 8% - it sure is getting cheap though but high real estate taxes and crime are killers.

People are pretty evenly divided between city - country suburb etc.

Some interesting places were not included though. Buffalo has become the 2nd most drivable city - great old buildings - manufacturing and pollution gone - but horrible real estate taxes - and fairly high crime.

Corpus Christi - the most drivable city -great warm weather -cheap to live- ugly refineries on one side of town though. Clean air in the rest.

Of course individual smaller towns weren't listed. Ive lived all over the US and moved to Rockport TX not for a job. Its 20-25 minutes from Corpus, a nice mix of people because they come for the ocean - birds and the wildlife area. No polluting industry allowed. Sort of different from many parts of Texas and very slow paced.

The middle coast of California didn't have enough big cities to be mentioned.

HERE IS A LINK TO THE OFFICIAL REPORT not your newspapers version

Pew Research Center: For Nearly Half of America, Grass Is Greener Somewhere Else: Denver Tops List of Favorite Cities

Last edited by Bo; 01-29-2009 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: Updated title to make thread easier to find with search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 09:02 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
"Geography matters, too. Seven of the public's 10 most popular big cities -- Denver, San Diego, Seattle, San Francisco, Phoenix, Portland and Sacramento -- are in the West, and the other three -- Orlando, Tampa and San Antonio -- are in the South. The five least popular big cities -- Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Kansas City and Minneapolis -- are all in the Midwest. These attitudes reflect what government data indicate about the nation's migration patterns: Americans are leaving the Northeast and the Midwest in favor of the South and the West."

The first northeast city to be mentioned is Boston, at 28%

Old 01-29-2009, 09:07 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
People are leaving the Northeaster region because they are overtaxed and the cost of living, utilities, insurance and doing business is extremely high except in a few of the rural areas of the region.

Kansas City is actually growing as is Minneapolis. Kansas City has little appeal as a place to live unless someone is from the KC metro area or one of the rural adjacent areas and moves to the big city to find work. While there are some people from other regions of the country that call KC home, I've met far fewer transplants from other regions here than any other metro area I've lived.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:09 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Considering the strong preference for warm-weather cities, I was thinking that the survey had probably been conducted in the dead of winter. Turns out the survey was done from Oct. 3-19, 2008.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:10 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
People do come to Denver from all over, but many are intimidated by our winters, which really aren't that bad, especially if you're from the east or midwest.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:12 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
"Geography matters, too. Seven of the public's 10 most popular big cities -- Denver, San Diego, Seattle, San Francisco, Phoenix, Portland and Sacramento -- are in the West, and the other three -- Orlando, Tampa and San Antonio -- are in the South. The five least popular big cities -- Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Kansas City and Minneapolis -- are all in the Midwest. These attitudes reflect what government data indicate about the nation's migration patterns: Americans are leaving the Northeast and the Midwest in favor of the South and the West."

The first northeast city to be mentioned is Boston, at 28%
That is a crappy analysis by that survey. Are they seriously trying to convince us that people would rather live in Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento, Orlando and Tampa over NYC, Boston and Chicago or even Houston? HAHA, ROTFLMAO!!!!

Old 01-29-2009, 10:13 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
That is a crappy analysis by that survey. Are they seriously trying to convince us that people would rather live in Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento, Orlando and Tampa over NYC, Boston and Chicago or even Houston? HAHA, ROTFLMAO!!!!
Well considering the survey states only 23% of respondents want to live in a city, it's not that's much of a surprise when you think about it that way. But I agree though that some of those cities like Orlando and Sacramento surprised me when they beat out what I would think are more desirable cities like Boston.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:45 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
There are some interesting some of the results from different categories such as city preference based on income, education, age, party affiliation, ideology, etc...

http://pewsocialtrends.org/assets/pd...tisfaction.pdf

Only 14% of people who make over $100K want to live in LA vs 33% who make less than $30K. So it looks like not even wealthier people want to live in LA.

Both Denver and San Diego beat out SF, Boston, and Seattle for the percentage of college grads who prefer those cities, which kind of surprised me given each cities reputation.

A slightly higher % of democrats preferred San Diego over San Francisco, another surprise given each cities political repuatations.

A higher percentage of republicans wanted to live with like minded people compared to democrats, 35% vs 24%.

pretty interesting report when you look at it....

Old 01-29-2009, 11:07 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
There are some interesting some of the results from different categories such as city preference based on income, education, age, party affiliation, ideology, etc...

http://pewsocialtrends.org/assets/pd...tisfaction.pdf

Only 14% of people who make over $100K want to live in LA vs 33% who make less than $30K. So it looks like not even wealthier people want to live in LA.

Both Denver and San Diego beat out SF, Boston, and Seattle for the percentage of college grads who prefer those cities, which kind of surprised me given each cities reputation.
A slightly higher % of democrats preferred San Diego over San Francisco, another surprise given each cities political repuatations.

A higher percentage of republicans wanted to live with like minded people compared to democrats, 35% vs 24%.

pretty interesting report when you look at it....

Maybe there is a trend toward college grads tending to want to locate to cities which are not yet saturated with top talent like NYC, Boston, Houston, SF, LA etc. I found it interesting that all the largest cities were kind of low on the survey as I mentioned before. I do agree that in the right neighborhoods, SD and Denver are great but I am very puzzled about at least 5 of those top cities.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:04 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,421 times
I didn't read the report, but a lot of things come into play for me. First and foremost, I think distance to my home (Des Moines, IA) is a big factor. As is cost of living, and proximity to outdoor recreation.

If cost of living were no factor, Boston would be my number one pick. I always loved Denver, and have wanted to live there. It's relatively affordable, tons to do, and relatively close to home. The thing that concerns me about Denver is the influx of people. It seems like the hometown feel would get lost.

I guess my picks would be:

1. Home
2. Boston
3. Denver
4. San Jose, CA (if I got a job making $300,000/year)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.