U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 08:33 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,241,725 times

Advertisements

It would be great for the city. Chicago was a World Cup Venue in 1994.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 08:35 PM

5,522 posts, read 12,292,026 times
I'm worried that the city will get saddled with cost overruns which will have to be paid by the taxpayers of Chicago.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:38 PM

15,587 posts, read 23,208,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
I'm worried that the city will get saddled with cost overruns which will have to be paid by the taxpayers of Chicago.
Screw it. The end of the world as we know it is here. Let us go out in a blaze of glory.
None of us under the age of 40 will make it to 70.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:51 PM

425 posts, read 1,278,706 times
As long as nothing happens to Wrigley Field, I say bring it on. National publicity like that has to benefit the city in the long run, even if it may end up losing money initially.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:24 PM

894 posts, read 2,110,046 times
look whats going on in vancouver...

Bloomberg.com: Canada

Old 01-30-2009, 02:30 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,929,470 times
Ugh ... that's awful.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:54 PM

3,396 posts, read 6,184,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
look whats going on in vancouver...

Bloomberg.com: Canada
The way the Olympics are run and financed varies drastically from country to country. London and Vancouver keep getting compared to Chicago's bid, but that's comparing apples to oranges. London is following their usual pattern of over building (i.e. Millennium Dome) and Vancouver is following the precedents set by Montreal, but if they really can sell the housing units they may be OK. The Chicago plans are fairly conservative for new venues, and we should be able to use it as leverage to get increased transportation funding. US Olympics so far break even or are profitable.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:43 PM

367 posts, read 1,061,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
The way the Olympics are run and financed varies drastically from country to country. London and Vancouver keep getting compared to Chicago's bid, but that's comparing apples to oranges. London is following their usual pattern of over building (i.e. Millennium Dome) and Vancouver is following the precedents set by Montreal, but if they really can sell the housing units they may be OK. The Chicago plans are fairly conservative for new venues, and we should be able to use it as leverage to get increased transportation funding. US Olympics so far break even or are profitable.
Look what Vancouver is getting out of the deal though: $3.88B of the $5.84B is buying a subway line to the airport, a highway and a humongous convention center. Of course someone has to pay, and that's always the people in the end. And you don't want to go to the extreme of suffering that Montreal apparently went to.

But I think Rahm Emanuel is now noted for saying it's important not to let a crisis go to waste. And making sure your Olympic bid wins is a crisis, and it got those politicians off their duffs and actually paying for some useful-sounding infrastructure.

Maybe they're better about keeping up with infrastructure in Canada. Here, we can't even find the money to keep the 'L' maintained. I remember in the 1992 Presidential campaign, the press positioned the "infrastructure crisis" as a major issue. It is 17 years later and that still hasn't been addressed.

Here it takes an act of God to do anything about capital spending. Lehman Bros./Bear Stearns collapse- or Olympics-level events. If my taxes get jacked up to pay off bonds that actually built something useful, I'd kinda feel better about it. Compared to the slow, inexorable creep upwards of taxes we have now as paying state employees cushy health and retirement benefits is swallowing ever more of the budget.

Last edited by meatpuff; 01-30-2009 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: corrected the numbers

Old 01-31-2009, 08:57 AM

3,596 posts, read 7,708,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basekamp View Post
I know people that have gone to Brazil for better opportunity...
Guilty as charged

I do not think Chicago woll get the Olympics. And realistically that's a good thing; the infrastructure is not in place to handle it.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:19 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,797,847 times
Default Odds of Chicago winning the 2016 Olympics

So what do your crystal balls think?

Personally I think my native home have a strong chance and just may win it. If they do, should I begin looking for real estate to invest in? Have they already been driven up by speculation, even in this market?

Also, personally, I'd love to make a trip to Chicago in 2016 and see how the place has changed. Man I miss my hometown, sweet home Chicago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.