U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 04:21 PM

161 posts, read 343,339 times

Advertisements

The way i see it is that if we get the games then we get new roads and they might even improve the rail system, which would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 04:32 PM

527 posts, read 1,118,308 times
The rail system is fine WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE

Old 03-24-2009, 04:48 PM

179 posts, read 436,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
Now, with the comment about geography,ie., London 2012 and (possible) Madrid 2016. The IOC is not looking at that factor as their main decision factor.
That's just not true. I'm aware they're officially declining there's a geographical balancing of any kind, but of course that's a lie. Just look at the last 10 or 15 summer games. They are NEVER held at the same continent back to back. And there is no way in hell they'll do it 2016 with Madrid. I'd be willing to bet any amount of money on that. Tokyo is clearly better off in that regard, but it's still a handicap.
And if you compare South Africas bid for the summer games to Rios bid today, it's pretty obvious they're world's apart. Rio would be totally capable of hosting the games. Though I love your optimism that all the corruptuion is eliminated, I doubt you're right. The well organised mebers representing the "western world" still have plenty of influence. The IOC is not a scientific commitee to determine the best city, it's still basically a political institution. And as we all know, politic's a dirty business.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:09 PM

161 posts, read 343,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basekamp View Post
The rail system is fine WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE
a few expantions would be nice thought

Old 03-24-2009, 05:17 PM

11,290 posts, read 7,877,038 times
The Olympic commitee dislikes doing the games in the same continent back to back.
Thus, Madrid is probably out. Tokyo is also too close to Beijing in distance and time alike.
There have not been any games in South America. Rio has a good chance but their very high crime rate is a big negative. Chicago has a very good chance especially now with a likely "pull" from Obama's part.
A bit more on the topic here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/sport...ur-cities.html

Old 03-24-2009, 06:00 PM

3,597 posts, read 7,705,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
Long post
Yeah... No. Madrid stands very little chance.

I think it's between Chicago and Tokyo. As someone else has noted, the IOC tends to dislike the extreme fiscal analysis the United States does. We also have the only capable cities on the planet able to effectively host and run these things, which irritates the Europeans to no end

It's a big political mess right now, and my friends here in Sao Paulo have gotten prickly. I've assured them with typical American apathy just how much I don't care, which seems to just irritate them that much more

Old 03-24-2009, 06:21 PM

930 posts, read 1,319,582 times
The one major disadvantage we have going in is that our federal government will not guarantee any revenue shortfalls. Instead, we're relying on the city and the state, both facing deficits and by law unable to run on a deficit. Would Daley dare touch the slush fund from the Skyway and parking meter operations? The city has guaranteed 500 mil so far, and the state 250 mil. Hopefully it'll be enough.

I'd say it's highly unlikely the city will expand public transit. best case scenario is they refurb some stations, get new cars and hopefully repair the Howard branch of the red line. The city's Olympics application focuses on enhancing existing transportation with leased buses.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:30 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,827,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
The one major disadvantage we have going in is that our federal government will not guarantee any revenue shortfalls. Instead, we're relying on the city and the state, both facing deficits and by law unable to run on a deficit. Would Daley dare touch the slush fund from the Skyway and parking meter operations? The city has guaranteed 500 mil so far, and the state 250 mil. Hopefully it'll be enough.

I'd say it's highly unlikely the city will expand public transit. best case scenario is they refurb some stations, get new cars and hopefully repair the Howard branch of the red line. The city's Olympics application focuses on enhancing existing transportation with leased buses.
I think I read that Howard has now completed renovations.

Edited to include
: http://www.chitowndailynews.org/Chic...complete,24159

Last edited by surlycue; 03-24-2009 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: link

Old 03-24-2009, 07:19 PM

930 posts, read 1,319,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
I think I read that Howard has now completed renovations.

Edited to include
: CTA's Howard-station renovation complete | Chicago News, Events and Culture | Chi-Town Daily News
Yes - I was referring to the entire north branch (Howard branch) of the red line which is a real mess when you get north of Addison. Not just the Howard station. And the Evanston branch is even worse. Trackwork, new signals, and viaduct repairs. It's a major project and should take priority over expanding service.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:36 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,757,864 times
Shootings, like they had down at last summer's "Taste", I think will keep Chicago from being picked. Chicago's crime rate will be the only reason it doesn't get picked. It's murder rate is just too visible, too high, and too well known.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.