U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 01:37 PM

15,587 posts, read 23,198,202 times

Advertisements

There are like 12 threads on the Olympics here and you just had to start another one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 01:41 PM

15,587 posts, read 23,198,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
...I'm not trying to create a parallel thread about Chicago and the Olympics because mine has little to do with Chicago. My thread here is actually THE UNITED STATES and the 2016 Olympics. It's about the US...

...It's not about Chicago actually. It is about the United States of America....

...As noted, this is not a Chicago thread. If LA had gotten the bid over Chicago, the games would be played there. If San Francisco had stayed...
Well why did you post this in the Chicago Forum then?

Ask a mod to move it to the General U.S. forum then please.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:17 PM

5,877 posts, read 6,531,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tully View Post
Anyone who claims to "have the market beat" - the market will make a fool of them every time.

That goes for the Olympic probabilities market too.

A lot depends on US actions in next 4 months, Obama's global popularity numbers, etc. To a lesser extent, events within Chicago will also influence the discussion. (skyrocketing crime not helping matters..)

I'm sure the South Koreans were just as confident as you, days before the 2014 bid.

Off topic, but your premise of the US "leading the world out" is a false one. The "leadership out", could just as easily come from:
- China, assuming they can bring their have-nots out of poverty.
- Canada, given their resources, banking system (as good as Swiss), social stability, beneficiary position re: climate change, etc. They have a golden opportunity to expand their economy/influence on the world stage. If they chose, they could relegate the US to second-banana N.American status in 10 years.
- less likely but possible: India, Brazil

US leading the way also assumes ceaseless consumer-driven global economy. (another falsehood)
boy, do you have me wrong. My argument here not based on US confidence or on being on top of the world. The US is a basket case.

I'm not saying we deserve the Olympics or that we should be fighting hard to get them. In fact, I'm saying we caused the very serious mess that has put us in a position to get these games...with virtually no competition.

It doesn't matter if the US economy is that important in the next 4-5 months. The world perceives it is. And the Olympics are going to say that the US gets these games because it will be willing to its part (with a huge amount of money to generate) to make sure that the world economy is aided at this critical time by giving the games to Chicago.

I'm the 100% non-hubris American guy, the fellow who thinks our nation has screwed up big time and will pay a big price for its folly. So it's not arogance but anti-arogance I'm talking about. And just as the US operates with the notion that the banks, the finance companies, the automobile manufacters are "too big to fail", the world and the IOC will operate with the same notion with the US.

So far I don't see where I have shown any disagreement with you on the US place in the 21st century world. I think China already owns our asses, that rising economies around the world will plummel us, that we have exported our manufacturing jobs overseas and can no longer compete, and that our corporations rule without rules in a banana republic where a small percent of us are extremely wealthy and the rest of us are getting the shaft.

None of which will change the opinions of the IOC in a few short months. It will be Chicago. I will go on the record of saying here that IT WILL DEFINITELY BE CHICAGO.

Unrelated but your line about too much crime...please! Rio crime makes Chicago's crime seem like a pleasant walk in the park. Chicago does have crime, none of which will be in any proximity to the Loop or lakefront (both south and north) where the games would be principely played. Chicago's murder rate is appauling but irrelevant to Olympic goers as it is to tourists, conventioneers, and business people who flock to this city and never saw a crime short of $30 an hour parking rates. The issue of crime in Chicago and safety for Olympians...as for the tourists, business people and conventioneers....is about as bogus and straw man as is the argument that the citizens of the United States should be quaking in their boots over the prospect of the Guantanamo detainees being put in US prisons.

Last edited by edsg25; 05-25-2009 at 05:25 PM..

Old 05-25-2009, 06:13 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,416,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
It's between Chicago and Japan.

Rio is a third world nation that doesn't have the facilities. Madrid simply doesn't have the facilities.
A. Rio is not a nation.

B. It is not the third world.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:16 PM

3,596 posts, read 7,706,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
A. Rio is not a nation.

B. It is not the third world.
A. The way most Brazilian states are set up, their cities rule over the associated state effectively making it a separate nation. The federal government isn't nearly as strong as what you are used to in the United States, making local decisions far more important than they would be otherwise.

B. Yes, oh my god yes, it is. I don't even know how anyone could state otherwise.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:21 PM

1,273 posts, read 3,938,385 times
I don't believe that Chicago is going to get the Olympics unless Mitt Romney is in charge. Chicago has such a poor record for large public projects.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:25 PM

3,596 posts, read 7,706,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
I don't believe that Chicago is going to get the Olympics unless Mitt Romney is in charge. Chicago has such a poor record for large public projects.
1968 is a very, very long time ago.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:26 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,827,403 times
Quote:
That whole World's Fair after we were shamed by Eiffle and France sure did go poorly, eh? That whole pummeling other 1st world nations with our architectural prowess and intellectual might was such a complete failure!

Old 05-25-2009, 06:29 PM

5,522 posts, read 12,287,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
1968 is a very, very long time ago.
1996 seemed to go off pretty well.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:13 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,375,148 times
Quote:
Poor record for large public projects? In what sense? 1893 World's Fair, 1939 World's Fair, 1994 World Cup, Obama's election night, other conventions....

The '68 convention was the only main event I can think of that was a mess - but hell, in 1968 the entire COUNTRY was a huge mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.