U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:19 AM

5,990 posts, read 11,580,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrieMuffin View Post
Wow, I hadn't considered areas like AR, IN or OH. Thanks for your input!

I've heard some mixed feelings about Asheville, NC. Some say it's beautiful, fun and filled with down-to-earth and friendly people. Others have said the people are rude, full of "southerners," and cost of living is expensive.
I've been to Asheville. It is beautiful, and artsy, but the cost of living is high. The weather isn't as extreme as the rest of the south. Like any southern city, it is full of southerners. You'll find both hippies and rednecks in Asheville, which makes for an interesting mix. Although it's one of the only southern cities I'd consider living in, I still wouldn't suggest it for what you're looking for

Quote:
I agree that it will be tough finding mild winters near mountains. I'm just trying to get away from the flat, flat, flat land that is Buffalo.
Athens, OH is great for that. It's practically in the mountains, with very hilly terrain. It's almost like Asheville, but 400 miles further north, which makes for a big difference in culture (although it's still southern compared to Michigan or New York).

Quote:
Albuquerque? I hadn't considered that either. This might sound strange but, are there scorpions, cockroaches and other large invasive creatures there??
Scorpions, centipedes, solpugids (camel spiders), and tarantuals all live in the desert southwest. If you don't like big scary bugs, the desert isn't the place for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 04:16 PM

193 posts, read 429,791 times
I just went on a 2 week long road trip to choose my new city. I am a young professional looking to get out of CT. After looking at many places in NC, SC, TN, TX and GA, we decided on austin. I looove it. Sounds like it would fit your criteria well.

We checked out asheville- doubt you'd like it. Too small and remote, a lot of closed shops, and the hippys might drive you insane. We are liberals but it was too intense for us.

Definitely check out Austin. We liked charlotte and raleigh a lot too, but they didn't compare to Austin. Keep in mind, our list was based around the best economies in the us. Austin and raleigh both top the list. Austin is a very active outdoorsy city that is quite liberal (in the actual city) and artsy. Its a bit pricier for in city living, but houses in the suburbs are more inexpensive than many of the other states mentioned. There are a lot of IT jobs and jobs in general, relative to the rest of the us.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:15 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,054,652 times
Texas might have too much heat and humidity for the OP.

North Carolina would be milder in climate. Charlotte could be a good choice.

Somewhere in OH or IN could also work. The culture and climate change wouldn't be too radical, but you'd still have a lot more sun and less snow than in upstate NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or