U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 06:38 PM

3 posts, read 5,783 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Buffalo, NY for the past 7 years and am growing tired of lake effect snow. However, the summers here are gorgeous! My boyfriend and I are looking to move to an area with:

- Sunshine. Lots of it!
- Plenty of arts and entertainment
- Friendly and diverse community
- Mild winters (<40" snow per year)
- Warm summers (without too much humidity)
- Good job opportunities (art and healthcare fields)
- Wildlife and outdoor activities (mountains, hiking, canoeing, camping)
- Young population (20's and 30's)
- Affordable cost of living (<$800 rent per month)
- Peace and quiet with close proximity to small city

Does this place exist? We've been looking at areas of Colorado and North Carolina, but we need help! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 06:45 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,049,469 times
Albuquerque

Old 01-29-2009, 06:53 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,274,563 times
I love The Lake Effect Snow

Old 01-29-2009, 08:26 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,455,565 times
I think you just described Albuquerque

Old 01-30-2009, 07:07 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,212,348 times
Western NC, maybe Asheville?
Chattanooga, TN, the Charlottesville, VA area, or maybe Huntsville, AL?
The Triad area of NC (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point)

I think you're going to have a hard time finding legitimately 'mild' winters in the mountains, even in the south. I'm sure it'll be milder than Buffalo, though.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:38 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,996,220 times
Little Rock, AR can tick off a lot of those check boxes. Lots of outdoors activities in pristine wilderness within an hour of a small metro. For a city our size we have exceptional medical facilities with the AR Children's Hospital, Baptist Health, and UAMS (a top 50 rated medical research facility). The art scene is much more well developed here than many people imagine also. Summers may be hotter and more humid than you'd find ideal but to me, it's easier to acclimate (especially as you start getting older) to hot as opposed to cold.
Metro Little Rock regional community lifestyle and cultural information.

That's a fair overview site. If you want more details let me know!

Old 01-30-2009, 08:20 AM

5,990 posts, read 11,566,350 times
Stay away from the south, it doesn't fit what you're looking for. Besides, the oppressive heat and humidity can be unbearable in the summer.

It sounds like you'd like southern Indiana or Ohio, especially places like Bloomington, IN and Athens, OH. Both are small college towns in the hilly areas of the state, and both get less than 30 inches of snow per year. They are located in sunny areas, with far more sunshine than Buffalo or Cleveland. No lake effect. Both towns have reasonably good job markets, especially for healthcare. While not as sunny as New Mexico or Arizona, they are far sunnier (and warmer) than Buffalo, and you have the change of seasons. Athens is 1 hour from Columbus, OH; and Bloomington is about 2 hours from Indianapolis. Athens, OH is probably my favorite, but either one would be a good choice.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:14 AM

3 posts, read 5,783 times
Default Thanks for the reply!

Wow, I hadn't considered areas like AR, IN or OH. Thanks for your input!

I've heard some mixed feelings about Asheville, NC. Some say it's beautiful, fun and filled with down-to-earth and friendly people. Others have said the people are rude, full of "southerners," and cost of living is expensive.

I agree that it will be tough finding mild winters near mountains. I'm just trying to get away from the flat, flat, flat land that is Buffalo.

Albuquerque? I hadn't considered that either. This might sound strange but, are there scorpions, cockroaches and other large invasive creatures there??

Old 01-30-2009, 09:24 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,212,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrieMuffin View Post
I've heard some mixed feelings about Asheville, NC. Some say it's beautiful, fun and filled with down-to-earth and friendly people. Others have said the people are rude, full of "southerners," and cost of living is expensive.
It is somewhat expensive, and it is a hippie town. It is full of southerners, too.. lol.. it is in North Carolina, you know? Appalachian people have an old reputation of being wary of 'outsiders,' but it isn't something I'd worry about - I think people up there are friendly. Asheville in particular can be a love it/hate it sort of place, kinda weird.

The southern appalachians take up a big area, especially if you include the Piedmont/foothills. Asheville seems to be the one you always hear about, but there are a lot of cool mountain towns in Tennessee, NC, Virginia, and Georgia. Everybody is piling down to the southern Atlantic coast at a breakneck pace (I live there myself), but I think a much better overall quality of life is consistently found in the foothills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Stay away from the south, it doesn't fit what you're looking for.
How so?

Last edited by le roi; 01-30-2009 at 09:32 AM..

Old 01-30-2009, 09:58 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,996,220 times
If you want a good mental image of what Little Rock is like, think Rochester with a southern climate. Some differences are Little Rock is sandwiched between two small "mountain" chains and our river isn't quite as scenic as the Gennessee. I've spent a good deal of time in Rochester and the cities are remarkably similar in many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or