Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 08:48 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599 View Post
The richest people in our great country, who could live anywhere their heart desires, live in NY, SF, Miami and LA. It has always been that way.
What about the rich people in other states????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 09:18 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 599 View Post
The richest people in our great country, who could live anywhere their heart desires, live in NY, SF, Miami and LA. It has always been that way.
You would be wrong. There are a TON of extremely wealthy people who choose to live in Houston, Dallas or Atlanta when they could live in one of your so called "best" places if they wanted to. Same with Chicago and Philly as well. The 4 cities you mention are the ones hyped by the media is why you think the way you do

Old 01-31-2009, 10:07 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
You would be wrong. There are a TON of extremely wealthy people who choose to live in Houston, Dallas or Atlanta when they could live in one of your so called "best" places if they wanted to. Same with Chicago and Philly as well. The 4 cities you mention are the ones hyped by the media is why you think the way you do
Exactly. Like myself, I would never live in NYC because I just don't think I could handle it. Many people who live outside of NYC chose to live where they live for personal reasons.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:44 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,527,066 times
I think the cities on that list were ordered by the number of yuppies in them... I kid. I kid.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:50 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
Denver is not on the list, but Colorado is on the list of states. To answer the OP's question, what do the states have in common, they all have some spectacular scenery, and most have sea-coasts.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:14 AM

37,737 posts, read 40,783,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
When it comes to Americans’ choices for cities outside of their own, New York City comes in #1 for the seventh consecutive time as the U.S. city people would choose to live in or near. California, Hawaii, and Florida remain the most popular states that U.S. adults would choose to live in if they could live in any state outside of their own, according to a new Harris Poll. Last year, these states were also ranked as the "Top 3" though in a slightly different order: Hawaii has moved to #2 and Florida has dropped to #3.

CITY
1. New York City
2. San Francisco
3. San Diego
4. Seattle
5. Las Vegas
6. Honolulu
7. Atlanta
8. Chicago
9. Boston
10. Los Angeles
11. Portland
12. Phoenix
13. Orlando
14. Austin

STATE
1. California
2. Hawaii
3. Florida
4. North Carolina
5. Texas
6. Washington
7. Colorado
8. New York
9. Arizona
10. Oregon
11. Tennessee
12. Virgina
13. Georgia
14. Pennsylvania
13. Montana

Why do these surveys differ from one another? This is from two years ago, but it's pretty consistent every year.

Harris Interactive | The Harris Poll - California and New York City Remain Most Popular Places People Would Choose to Live

I think you can thank TV and movies for the top city picks. Other places don't get much love from Hollywood...and you never see anyone on TV or in the movies receiving or paying bills.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:18 AM

37,737 posts, read 40,783,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
I like Texas towns, too but when you see illegals and drug gangs running through Texas on TV every night, and knowing much of the US population is geographically-challenged (as to knowing where in Texas some cities/towns are physically located, my guess is people think "no thanks."

Old 02-01-2009, 02:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,759,042 times
Now this is the real top cities list.

I'm surprised Honolulu wasn't on that other garbage one. Honolulu (and Hawaii in general) is major dream place for sure.

Last edited by Americanboy; 02-01-2009 at 02:59 AM..

Old 02-01-2009, 02:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,759,042 times
Also this poll has a larger sample size than the Pew Poll.

3,685 adults (aged 18 and over). Figures for age, sex, race/ethnicity, education, region and household income were weighted where necessary to bring them into line with their actual proportions in the population. Propensity score weighting was also used to adjust for respondents’ propensity to be online.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:41 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,633,692 times
I'd bet money that the difference in responses is in how the question was phrased. The Harris poll seems like more of a "If you could live in any city in America, which would you choose?" kind of question. The Pew survey seems more grounded in reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.