Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 01:11 AM
TT1 TT1 started this thread

148 posts, read 439,906 times

Advertisements

When it comes to Americans’ choices for cities outside of their own, New York City comes in #1 for the seventh consecutive time as the U.S. city people would choose to live in or near. California, Hawaii, and Florida remain the most popular states that U.S. adults would choose to live in if they could live in any state outside of their own, according to a new Harris Poll. Last year, these states were also ranked as the "Top 3" though in a slightly different order: Hawaii has moved to #2 and Florida has dropped to #3.

CITY
1. New York City
2. San Francisco
3. San Diego
4. Seattle
5. Las Vegas
6. Honolulu
7. Atlanta
8. Chicago
9. Boston
10. Los Angeles
11. Portland
12. Phoenix
13. Orlando
14. Austin

STATE
1. California
2. Hawaii
3. Florida
4. North Carolina
5. Texas
6. Washington
7. Colorado
8. New York
9. Arizona
10. Oregon
11. Tennessee
12. Virgina
13. Georgia
14. Pennsylvania
13. Montana

Why do these surveys differ from one another? This is from two years ago, but it's pretty consistent every year.

Harris Interactive | The Harris Poll - California and New York City Remain Most Popular Places People Would Choose to Live
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 08:58 AM

508 posts, read 1,512,499 times
Bet their selections were based on some vacation experience. Visiting and living are totally different beasts.

Once some of those cities were selected, the next question should have been:

Are you willing to pay $500k for a starter home or pay $1000-2000k in rent each month?

Another stupid poll by the folks at Harris...........

Old 01-31-2009, 02:30 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit View Post

Are you willing to pay $500k for a starter home or pay $1000-2000k in rent each month?
What's it to you if somebody is perfectly willing to pay?

Old 01-31-2009, 03:51 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Plenty of people would be willing to pay 1000+ in rent to live in NYC than have a house. Different people like different things. I believe it that NYC got #1. It's always been that way.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:54 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
What's it to you if somebody is perfectly willing to pay?
I think what he is trying to say is that most of these people voting would never actually be able to afford to live in these cities. I would ideally love to live in New York City and probably would have voted for it if I was asked but realistically I could not afford to live the same quality of life that I'm able to live in Houston. I pay $1,100 for a 700 sq ft loft in Uptown Houston. What would that get me in Uptown New York City?

Old 01-31-2009, 05:45 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,834 times
A small walk-in closet.

(Not an apartment with a walk-in closet; I mean, just the walk-in closet...)

Old 01-31-2009, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,772,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
When it comes to Americans’ choices for cities outside of their own, New York City comes in #1 for the seventh consecutive time as the U.S. city people would choose to live in or near. California, Hawaii, and Florida remain the most popular states that U.S. adults would choose to live in if they could live in any state outside of their own, according to a new Harris Poll. Last year, these states were also ranked as the "Top 3" though in a slightly different order: Hawaii has moved to #2 and Florida has dropped to #3.

CITY
1. New York City
2. San Francisco
3. San Diego
4. Seattle
5. Las Vegas
6. Honolulu
7. Atlanta
8. Chicago
9. Boston
10. Los Angeles
11. Portland
12. Phoenix
13. Orlando
14. Austin

STATE
1. California
2. Hawaii
3. Florida
4. North Carolina
5. Texas
6. Washington
7. Colorado
8. New York
9. Arizona
10. Oregon
11. Tennessee
12. Virgina
13. Georgia
14. Pennsylvania
13. Montana

Why do these surveys differ from one another? This is from two years ago, but it's pretty consistent every year.

Harris Interactive | The Harris Poll - California and New York City Remain Most Popular Places People Would Choose to Live

This poll seems more accurate than the other in some aspects. If money was not an issue, NY, SF, SD would be the most desirable cities, but money is always an issue, so people are more inclined to move to San Antonio, Austin, Houston, etc.

But it's strange how Denver is not even in the top 10 on the Harris list, but is number one on the Pew poll. It's even more strange since Pew and Harris interactive were the most accurate pollsters during the 2008 presidential election, so they are both very reputable...

Last edited by Americanboy; 01-31-2009 at 07:31 PM..

Old 01-31-2009, 07:27 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 599 View Post
This poll seems more accurate than the other in some aspects. If money WAS NOT an issue, NY, SF, SD would be the most desirable cities.

But money is always an issue, so people are more inclined to move to San Antonio, Austin, Houston, Tampa, etc.

But it's strange how Denver is not even on the top 10 in this list, but is number one on the Pew list.
I got to disagree with you on that. NY and SF are not as desirable as people think. NY is America's best city, but many people who CAN live there choose not to because of the simple fact that it's too crowded and compact. Cities like Houston,ATL,MIA,etc were all growing ever before AC was invented. The number 1 thing you can get in the south that you can't get in those cities that you named is southern hospitality. The people are the number 1 thing that turn me off about NY.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:37 PM

This list is far more accurate than the other. I've never in my life heard of anybody who aspires to live in San Antonio, TAMPA and ORLANDO for Christ's sake.

When you ask this question it's always New York, San Francisco, SoCal, South Florida, (and more recently) North Carolina, Austin and so on..

Old 01-31-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I got to disagree with you on that. NY and SF are not as desirable as people think. NY is America's best city, but many people who CAN live there choose not to because of the simple fact that it's too crowded and compact. Cities like Houston,ATL,MIA,etc were all growing ever before AC was invented. The number 1 thing you can get in the south that you can't get in those cities that you named is southern hospitality. The people are the number 1 thing that turn me off about NY.
The richest people in our great country, who could live anywhere their heart desires, live in NY, SF, Miami and LA. It has always been that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.