U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 07:58 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,674,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
Yea, your probably right. I know for girls, and young kids soccer is big, but the older you get around here it's not so big. Also I live in San Antonio where soccer is probably alot bigger than the Houston, Austin, and DFW areas because of the large latin population even though you guys have the MLS team.

When I was in HS I never wanted to compete in track and field, but I was in a 3A HS and since about 1/3 of the track team failed out after the first 6 weeks the coach kinda pused me into a couple meets at the end of the season so the team would have enough participants....lol. I really ended up liking it because it was another day out of class, and fun to hang around the girls...lol.

I watched the Big12 Championship last year in Boulder, CO. and was supprised with Texas A&M, and Baylor.
I ran track during middle school, and wanted to run during high school but my mom made me go to an academy school that didn't have sports!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 08:19 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,454,505 times
New Mexico- College basketball and NFL Football

Old 01-31-2009, 08:59 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,052,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
I feel NJ and NY are the only ones that really LOVE baseball. It's startin to die more and more but it still a love around here. Football is overshowding it now i think
It did feel really good when my Giants won last season though

MIDWEST = College Football/pro foortball << I would say this is football nation
Philadelphia area- Hockey/pro football
South- Pro Football/college
West- pro football
NY/NJ/CT/MA - baseball/football
Rest of the NE- Football
I would say basketball is bigger in the Northeast than Football is. Same with the Midwest. Oh and New York and NJ aren't the only areas that really LOVE baseball. St. Louis for instance is one of the best baseball cities in America. Chicago is also up there including Boston.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:22 PM

3,026 posts, read 2,462,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
hockey-Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota
football-Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Wyoming
basketball-Indiana, North Carolina, Kentucky
lacrosse-Maryland
track and field/cross country-Oregon

In the states not listed, no one sport dominates. It's hard to think of a state where baseball is the most popular. A lot of states like baseball, but those states like other sports too. With soccer, very few people like it no matter where you are. It's possible for people in any state to like soccer, but there's no state where soccer stands out as the most popular.
I'd say that football and basketball are bigger than hockey in Michigan (at least in the Lower Peninsula.) I'm not sure about Wisconsin.

I'd add Ohio and Pennsylvania to the football list as well.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:22 PM

86,996 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
hockey-Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota
football-Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Wyoming
basketball-Indiana, North Carolina, Kentucky
lacrosse-Maryland
track and field/cross country-Oregon

In the states not listed, no one sport dominates. It's hard to think of a state where baseball is the most popular. A lot of states like baseball, but those states like other sports too. With soccer, very few people like it no matter where you are. It's possible for people in any state to like soccer, but there's no state where soccer stands out as the most popular.
Where'd this list come from? I'll answer for Colorado:

Watch:
We have all 4 major pro sports, plus MLSoccer and Major League (I think) Lacrosse. The Broncos are proabbly the most popular to watch, followed by the Avs (hockey). We also have good college football and hockey (University of Denver).

Play:
Kids: Definitely soccer, also football, volleyball (girls), basketball. Up and coming: Lacrosse

In Illinois/Indiana, high school and college basketball are very popular to watch.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:11 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,048,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Where'd this list come from? I'll answer for Colorado:

Watch:
We have all 4 major pro sports, plus MLSoccer and Major League (I think) Lacrosse. The Broncos are proabbly the most popular to watch, followed by the Avs (hockey). We also have good college football and hockey (University of Denver).

Play:
Kids: Definitely soccer, also football, volleyball (girls), basketball. Up and coming: Lacrosse

In Illinois/Indiana, high school and college basketball are very popular to watch.
Nowhere. I was just thinking of states that make me think of a certain sport.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:23 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,071,101 times
I think Wisconsin overall would definitely be football. The Milwaukee Bucks don't seem to have the following that the Packers have. Also, in the summer, the Brewers have a huge following, especially in Milwaukee.

At the college level, it's U of WI football and Marquette basketball. UWMilwaukee basketball had a pretty big following in Milwaukee for a while, but definitely Marquette is a bigger draw. For hockey, it would be U of WI, and there is a huge youth hockey program. Wisconsin also has a very competitive and strong high school football program.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:24 PM

86,996 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I think Wisconsin overall would definitely be football. The Milwaukee Bucks don't seem to have the following that the Packers have. Also, in the summer, the Brewers have a huge following, especially in Milwaukee.

At the college level, it's U of WI football and Marquette basketball. UWMilwaukee basketball had a pretty big following in Milwaukee for a while, but definitely Marquette is a bigger draw. For hockey, it would be U of WI, and there is a huge youth hockey program. Wisconsin also has a very competitive and strong high school football program.
What is it with these Catholic colleges and basketball? It's the same with Duquesne in Pittsburgh.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:02 PM

46 posts, read 28,504 times
I feel like Washington State is fickle. We have little loyalty for our pro teams. When they do well, we love them, but if they do poorly for a few years we abandon them. There are legions of loyal UW and WSU football fans-but that's true of state university teams almost anywhere in the US. Gonzaga gets a nod for basketball, of course, but it's a small university in the less populated eastern half of the state, so it doesn't get much attention most of the year.

I also think people aren't as obsessed with pro-sports here because there are so many outdoor rec activities -hiking, skiing, kayaking, boating, etc. People like to get out and do stuff instead of sitting in front of a TV all day.

I miss the Supersonics.

The Seattle Sounders have an active local following. Soccer, hands down, is the most popular sport for kids. In Seattle pretty much nobody attends high school sports events other than parents and friends of players.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:48 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,536,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
In central New York, lacrosse is a sport with a very passionate following even though there are no professional teams. High school and college lacrosse. Of course, CNY is the birthplace of lacrosse.
In Western New York the Buffalo Bandits and Rochester Knighthawks are box lacrosse teams who draw very well, both nearly fill their venues. In terms of outdoor lacrosse Rochester has the Rattlers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or