U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2009, 10:50 AM

2,601 posts, read 4,077,915 times

Advertisements

Most people take pride in the states where they live (myself included), and it's fun to engage in the "back and forth" of the rivalry between cities, states, etc. There's something that I always think about, though, and that's the fact that a lot of state boundaries are arbitrary. I understand that these "arbitrary" boundaries were determined by different means, but they're really just an imaginary line.

There are states (like Wisconsin, for example, who has mostly water boundaries - Great Lakes and Mississippi River),and other states with rivers, the ocean, mountains, etc. But, then there are the "arbitrary" borders. For example, when you cross from Wisconsin into Illinois, the only way you know you're in another state is the Welcome sign.

I'm attaching a site that shows the Principal Meridians in the U.S. What would the U.S. look like if somehow these "arbitrary" lines had helped to determine some of our state boundaries? Kind of interesting to think about.

Maybe I have too much time on my hands today.

http://www.blm.gov/cadastral/meridians.htm (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 10:52 AM

2,601 posts, read 4,077,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Most people take pride in the states where they live (myself included), and it's fun to engage in the "back and forth" of the rivalry between cities, states, etc. There's something that I always think about, though, and that's the fact that a lot of state boundaries are arbitrary. I understand that these "arbitrary" boundaries were determined by different means, but they're really just an imaginary line.

There are states (like Wisconsin, for example, who has mostly water boundaries - Great Lakes and Mississippi River),and other states with rivers, the ocean, mountains, etc. But, then there are the "arbitrary" borders. For example, when you cross from Wisconsin into Illinois, the only way you know you're in another state is the Welcome sign.

I'm attaching a site that shows the Principal Meridians in the U.S. What would the U.S. look like if somehow these "arbitrary" lines had helped to determine some of our state boundaries? Kind of interesting to think about.

Maybe I have too much time on my hands today.

http://www.blm.gov/cadastral/meridians.htm (broken link)
I copied it wrong - sorry.

Meridians

Old 02-02-2009, 05:18 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,286,220 times
Cool website! Indiana is basicly the same except for NW Indiana

Old 02-02-2009, 06:05 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,191,205 times
Wow, here in MI we stay almost exactly the same. Close enough it isn't apparent there are any changes really.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:18 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,063,505 times
Yikes! This map makes this St. Paulite a Cheesehead! Splits our metro right in half. Some of my St Paul friends who live on the West Side stay Minnesotans, whole some of my frinds in SE Minneapolis join me with the Wisconsinites!

Fun web site!

Old 02-04-2009, 03:18 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,949,725 times
Water boundaries create difficulties because they split an economic asset between two political entities. The most egregious example of this is New Jersey. It contains half of both the New York City metro area and the Philly metro area. This has made planning in those cities very complicated. They tried to solve the dilemma with The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, but there are still lots of inefficiencies and political fighting.

All of this is due to the caprice of a king who never set foot in his colonies. Arbitrary indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or