U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 06:41 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,749,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Let me get this point across to everyone... here in Phoenix its NOT "dry heat" for most of the summer, thats a blatant lie by people here to make it sound more attractive to ease their suffering in the summer. June is a hell furnace, with super low humidity. But seriously, who cares if theres 5% humidity when its 115 degrees out? You still bake and burn and sweat. Then come late June all the way through Mid-September are the monsoon storms which bring in high humidity and high dew points that rival anything out East. When its 105 degrees out with 60% humidity it is the most awful thing youve ever experienced! At 6:30AM the other day it was already 94 degrees with 72% humidity and a 60 degree dew point. There was 2 straight weeks of walking outside in the morning to that sticky bullcrap. We got a 2 day break with lower humidity, now its right back up there again. The storms come in, and it feels like the south... sticky, nasty, rainy. Then when the "dry heat" season goes away, it gets dang cold here at night, too. The only truly pleasant months are April, May, late October, and November. Summers are hellfire hot and humid, winters are mild in the day and cold/chilly at night. Dont think you can come down here and swim in the winter, youll get hypothermia in the blink of an eye.
Finally... a TRUTHFUL description of Phoenix weather. This is right on the money. Lived there 8 years, and this sums up my experience there to a tee. I grew up in Houston, which is generally regarded as the worst city in America for heat indexes (combination of heat and humidity/dew point levels)... and yet what I experienced during July and August in Phoenix was even worse than Houston. Not only do the monsoons pull in humidity, but the fact that the valley is so built up and heavily irrigated, with all the countless golf courses, man-made lakes, swimming pools, and irrigated landscaping... creates a bubble of excess humid air that hangs over the valley through much of summer. You can feel a pretty big difference when you drive out of town and into the open desert. It was easily the most hellish summer weather I have ever experienced anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 07:12 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,088,556 times
I agree-people act like Phoenix is some kind of tropical paradise, or comparable to SoCal. The 'it's a dry heat' thing is untrue. First of all, when it is a dry heat, most of the time it is 90F and above-at that point, it is too hot either way. Definitely when it is 100F or above it is unpleasant regardless of low humidity. Also, humidity is better for your hair, skin, nails...you age slower in a humid climate. People in Phoenix that are like 45 tend to look 60, with red-brown leathery skin that looks like an old shedded snakeskin. Granted, these are people who are in the sun for a very long time that don't use sunblock or use very little. Another thing-people keep bringing up heat indices. When it is 90F and humid in, say, New Orleans, it feels like 100F dry heat. So why do people like to pretend that the ACTUAL dry 100F feels better, when it, in fact, feels the same!

Then in the monsoon season (August and September) it is still triple-digits heat but humid, and then the thunderstorms/rain when it is STILL triple digits! Also, another common misconception is that it cools off in the West. This is true to some degree (especially in the very chilly winters), but in summer the coolest it really gets is a nighttime low in the 70sF. A lot of the time, nights only dip into the 80sF, sometimes higher.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:22 PM

353 posts, read 511,025 times
Quote:
Let me get this point across to everyone... here in Phoenix its NOT "dry heat" for most of the summer, thats a blatant lie by people here to make it sound more attractive to ease their suffering in the summer. June is a hell furnace, with super low humidity. But seriously, who cares if theres 5% humidity when its 115 degrees out? You still bake and burn and sweat. Then come late June all the way through Mid-September are the monsoon storms which bring in high humidity and high dew points that rival anything out East. When its 105 degrees out with 60% humidity it is the most awful thing youve ever experienced! At 6:30AM the other day it was already 94 degrees with 72% humidity and a 60 degree dew point. There was 2 straight weeks of walking outside in the morning to that sticky bullcrap. We got a 2 day break with lower humidity, now its right back up there again. The storms come in, and it feels like the south... sticky, nasty, rainy. Then when the "dry heat" season goes away, it gets dang cold here at night, too. The only truly pleasant months are April, May, late October, and November. Summers are hellfire hot and humid, winters are mild in the day and cold/chilly at night. Dont think you can come down here and swim in the winter, youll get hypothermia in the blink of an eye.
Only 4 pleasant months during the year? Seriously? With the exception of maybe 7-10 days in Dec. the weather last winter was gorgeous. It was in the 70's on Christmas Day. I know. So unpleasant. Jan through April was beautiful. Most days in Jan. were in the 70's and in Feb. most days were just under 80. There were no freezes and the nighttime temps weren't that cold. Personally the only uncomfortable time of year for me is 6-8 weeks from mid July to early Sept. when there is more humidity but the monsoon rains can cool things off at night which is nice. How you can say the weather in Phoenix from Dec. through March is unpleasant is beyond me. Those months are usually the reason people move to Phoenix in the first place. Spring Training in late Feb and March? I've never heard anyone complain about the weather.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:10 PM

Yes, but the past winter was normal than usual. In Phoenix in winter is usually even chillier than SoCal, especially at night.

But of course, a Phoenix winter is more pleasant than a Boston winter, for example.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Yes, but the past winter was normal than usual. In Phoenix in winter is usually even chillier than SoCal, especially at night.

But of course, a Phoenix winter is more pleasant than a Boston winter, for example.
It is a little chillier than SoCal but it's not like Vegas. Vegas can get noticeably colder than SoCal and Phoenix in the winter.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:38 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,384,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
Only 4 pleasant months during the year? Seriously? With the exception of maybe 7-10 days in Dec. the weather last winter was gorgeous. It was in the 70's on Christmas Day. I know. So unpleasant. Jan through April was beautiful. Most days in Jan. were in the 70's and in Feb. most days were just under 80. There were no freezes and the nighttime temps weren't that cold. Personally the only uncomfortable time of year for me is 6-8 weeks from mid July to early Sept. when there is more humidity but the monsoon rains can cool things off at night which is nice. How you can say the weather in Phoenix from Dec. through March is unpleasant is beyond me. Those months are usually the reason people move to Phoenix in the first place. Spring Training in late Feb and March? I've never heard anyone complain about the weather.
Last winter was abnormal, and you know that.

My point was, its not that warm in winter. Most days are in the 60s with lows in the 30s/40s, especially up in North Scottsdale where frost is common. Winters are often windy on top of it all, and at night with that wind blowing steady and temps in the 40s, a runny nose and cold hands = unpleasant in my books. Pleasant winter weather would be, say, Florida where its 80s in the day and 70s at night. Granted Im not saying its as unpleasant as Bangor, ME, but its definitely not paradise like many people down here make it out to be. If I have to run the defroster in the winter mornings to get the frost off my car window, thats not what I call "pleasant".

And FYI, there was several freezes last winter. I recall 2-3 nights IN A ROW. I remember because our HOA was out there covering up the flowers with buckets and plastic so they wouldnt die. Granted Im up a bit north in the burbs where its higher/colder than central PHX, but still.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:

My point was, its not that warm in winter. Most days are in the 60s with lows in the 30s/40s, especially up in North Scottsdale where frost is common. Winters are often windy on top of it all, and at night with that wind blowing steady and temps in the 40s, a runny nose and cold hands = unpleasant in my books. Pleasant winter weather would be, say, Florida where its 80s in the day and 70s at night. Granted Im not saying its as unpleasant as Bangor, ME, but its definitely not paradise like many people down here make it out to be. If I have to run the defroster in the winter mornings to get the frost off my car window, thats not what I call "pleasant".

And FYI, there was several freezes last winter. I recall 2-3 nights IN A ROW. I remember because our HOA was out there covering up the flowers with buckets and plastic so they wouldnt die. Granted Im up a bit north in the burbs where its higher/colder than central PHX, but still.
There weren't any frost warnings after the first of the year. It might not be tropical per se but winter weather in Phoenix is heads and above far more comfortable than most of the country. I've seen many people from the Midwest or East very much consider it a paradise. 65 might be a chilly to us but to them it feels like 80. And last year was a little warmer than usual but highs in 70's in Dec. and Jan. aren't that uncommon.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:

Atually, South Florida usually only has winter highs of around 75F and lows in the upper 50sF to low 60sF. North and Central Florida are even cooler. Hawaii has winter days of 80F and sometimes above but nights even there are still usually only in the mid-to-upper 60sF.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,602 times
I have the same question... Low humidity and no mosquitos.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:13 AM

1,158 posts, read 2,020,178 times
I would suggest New Mexico though it is without a beach and short on lakes and, for now, short on jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or