U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 10:06 AM

36 posts, read 5,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieren View Post
I'm looking to re-locate to a state that has a warm to hot climate (about 60-90 degrees or so) most of the year, with lower humidity. I don't mind cooler nights/winters, but I'd prefer somewhere that generally has nice weather for outdoor activities. I currently live in WI, and I am sick of the freezing weather and humidity!

I would also prefer somewhere that is known for friendly people, artistic communities, and lots of fun things to do outdoors. Being close to a beach or lake for swimming would be a good bonus too!! Also, a low cost of living would be nice. Tall order, huh? hehe!

So, if anyone knows of or lives in a state/city/area like this, let me know where, and why you like it! So far, I have been considering Texas, New Mexico and Tenesee.

I was thinking about California, but from what I've heard about the general attitude there, I'm not sure. I would prefer somwhere that is known for welcoming people, and more of a small-town attitude, if you know what i mean? Feel free to prove me wrong, though, becuase I do like the climate in CA and have relatives there. ^_^

Thanks in advance!!!
Southern NM and west Texas fit your criteria.

THey have the best climate in the US, dry, sunny, not too hot or cold and have a low COL (cost of living)

THe small city Las Cruces, NM and El Paso, TX should be high on your list. Mesilla next to Las Cruces has a small art scene and is very quaint. People are very friendly and outgoing and all have a small town feeling even El Paso.

There are lots of of outdoor activities available especially in southern NM.

I would avoid California for its large populations and traffic, high COL, weird laws and problematic political and economic climate. Also, as you pointed they are not too friendly and are too self absorbed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 09:23 AM

594 posts, read 494,246 times
See ya in Arizona!

Old 06-16-2017, 06:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,121 times
im currently, in Houston tx , and the cost of living has certainly gone up dramtically over past few years, but the humidity and heat is really unbearable as i have no thyroid, so my question is were is the best spot for a military veteran and his family to move were weather is bearable, cost of living is relatively low, im a renter ..and job or job market stable.. i was thinking maybe Knoxville but not sure..any help would be much appreciated

Old 06-16-2017, 04:46 PM

17,883 posts, read 4,214,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kns6767 View Post
im currently, in Houston tx , and the cost of living has certainly gone up dramtically over past few years, but the humidity and heat is really unbearable as i have no thyroid, so my question is were is the best spot for a military veteran and his family to move were weather is bearable, cost of living is relatively low, im a renter ..and job or job market stable.. i was thinking maybe Knoxville but not sure..any help would be much appreciated
what is your budget for housing?

Old 06-16-2017, 09:00 PM

6,805 posts, read 11,861,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexInTheHouse View Post
Southern NM and west Texas fit your criteria.

THey have the best climate in the US, dry, sunny, not too hot or cold and have a low COL (cost of living)

THe small city Las Cruces, NM and El Paso, TX should be high on your list. Mesilla next to Las Cruces has a small art scene and is very quaint. People are very friendly and outgoing and all have a small town feeling even El Paso.

There are lots of of outdoor activities available especially in southern NM.

I would avoid California for its large populations and traffic, high COL, weird laws and problematic political and economic climate. Also, as you pointed they are not too friendly and are too self absorbed.
Having lived in both areas, I'd say West Texas is slightly less humid than Southern California. We do get strong winds here which also helps during the extremely hot weather.

Fyi, El Paso is within a day's drive of San Diego.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:55 AM

93 posts, read 69,323 times
New Mexico.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:13 PM

10,691 posts, read 14,488,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kns6767 View Post
I've lived in Houston and my son lives in Knoxville. Knoxville is definitely less humid than Houston, but there is still a fair amount of humidity in late summer, enough that I don't think you'd be comfortable. If you want to stay in the southeast I'd concentrate on areas along the I-81 corridor, staying in the higher elevations as much as possible. Unfortunately the cities in these areas tend to be on the smaller side so finding a job would be more of a challenge.
Do some dew point comparisons to get a better idea of what areas might best suit your needs, wunderground has a handy weather history function that makes it easy to compare cities.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 963 times
Default State with warm climate and low humidity?

We live in southern NM and right now our daytime temps are running in the low 100's. You might find what you're looking for in northern NM, above the Albuquerque parallel. I'd stick to the central or western areas. Several small lakes, blue skies, nice forests, dry temps, low humidity, and always friendly, mellow people. You'll get the "blue" attitude you're looking for in some of the larger towns such as Santa Fe, Taos, Angel Fire.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:50 PM
BMI

7,274 posts, read 4,597,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMMountaingirl View Post
We live in southern NM and right now our daytime temps are running in the low 100's. You might find what you're looking for in northern NM, above the Albuquerque parallel. I'd stick to the central or western areas. Several small lakes, blue skies, nice forests, dry temps, low humidity, and always friendly, mellow people. You'll get the "blue" attitude you're looking for in some of the larger towns such as Santa Fe, Taos, Angel Fire.
Southern NM has some good candiates too....

Silver City....Ruidoso....Capitan

Old 05-27-2019, 06:19 AM

1 posts, read 149 times
I am in VT and although late spring, summer and early fall are beautiful "about 5.5 months" I am so tired of the snow and taxes. Too expensive to live here anymore. I want to move to a better climate. I can deal with a couple months of really hot but do not want the extreme cold. Is there anywhere on the east coast that fits that bill? Looking at Blue Ridge NC or VA. Opinions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or