U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 11:37 PM

3 posts, read 3,031 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have lived in Michigan for way too many years and have endured way too many winters. We have discussed moving south but not quite sure where. I did the Florida thing for a year and it is too expensive. He doesn't want to move back to Puerto Rico because the jobs pay crappy. We don't want to go to Georgia but are considering South or North Carolina.
I don't know much about SC so I am asking for suggestions. I work in healthcare as a nurse tech and a unit secretary on a med surg floor. I am going to school for nursing. My husband has worked in construction for many many years usually doing concrete flatwork.
Our kids our done with school so that is not an issue, except me of course so I can finish my nursing. Waiting lists in MI just to do clinicals are ridiculously long (at least 4 years).
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please take the following into consideration.

1. Temps higher than 50
2. Job availability
3. We do need to be able to purchase spanish food products (mainly puerto rican) so a latino population would be nice
4. Low crime
5. Great communities and environments to live in
and most importantly....GOLF courses!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 11:14 AM

2,237 posts, read 6,569,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBreakFree View Post
My husband and I have lived in Michigan for way too many years and have endured way too many winters. We have discussed moving south but not quite sure where. I did the Florida thing for a year and it is too expensive. He doesn't want to move back to Puerto Rico because the jobs pay crappy. We don't want to go to Georgia but are considering South or North Carolina.
I don't know much about SC so I am asking for suggestions. I work in healthcare as a nurse tech and a unit secretary on a med surg floor. I am going to school for nursing. My husband has worked in construction for many many years usually doing concrete flatwork.
Our kids our done with school so that is not an issue, except me of course so I can finish my nursing. Waiting lists in MI just to do clinicals are ridiculously long (at least 4 years).
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please take the following into consideration.

1. Temps higher than 50
2. Job availability
3. We do need to be able to purchase spanish food products (mainly puerto rican) so a latino population would be nice
4. Low crime
5. Great communities and environments to live in
and most importantly....GOLF courses!!!!
Have you tried Jacksonville? It is cheaper than the rest of Florida and still has about 6% Hispanic population.

BTW, why do you say "Spanish food products" when you seem to be looking for Latin American products?

Old 02-04-2009, 11:16 AM

895 posts, read 2,146,862 times
Temps above 50? Even orlando goes below 50. Today orlandos high is 53 and low is 29. You will always see below 50 in winter in central/north florida with a few days in the 30s and at least 1 in the upper 20s.

Actually even miami gets below 50! Tonight miami will be 39!

Old 02-04-2009, 02:31 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,059,001 times
Go to South Carolina. Charleston and Columbia would be the best options because you're more likely to find minorities in cities. On average, both cities are above 50 in the winter.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:38 PM

5,849 posts, read 15,953,315 times
Alabama.
Great golf courses.
Over 50 degrees (think Mobile).
Growing Hispanic presence.
Low cost of living.
Jobs (again: Mobile).

Old 02-05-2009, 08:20 AM

29 posts, read 85,059 times
How about Las Cruces NM or El Paso Texas...they may be too far away for you but they fit your bill. NMSU has a great nursing program too. LC may get a little colder than you want at night but day temps are great. My son lives there and he tells me it is doing great econmically.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:39 PM

56,744 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Try the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area of Virginia with cities like Virginia Beach, Hampton, Norfolk, Newport News, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Suffolk and other communities right next ot each other.

Maybe the Orlando area, in say Osceola County, which is about 30% Hispanic:Osceola County, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check this out too:Puerto Ricans in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-06-2009, 03:52 PM

6,319 posts, read 6,985,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Have you tried Jacksonville? It is cheaper than the rest of Florida and still has about 6% Hispanic population.

BTW, why do you say "Spanish food products" when you seem to be looking for Latin American products?
As far as Jax goes...I think you'd be able to find opportunities in the area. The medical field is quite large in Jax and continues to expand...you'll have competition but the opportunities are plentiful. And there are options for schooling, too: University of North Florida has nursing programs for Bachelors, Masters, and Doctorate degrees. Jacksonville University offers both bachelors and masters. And the local community college actually has a four year BSN program as well.

As for your 5 listed criteria, here are my general responses:
1. Yes
2. Not really
3. Yes
4. If you live in the right parts of town, yes.
5. Ummm...over 100 golf courses in the area! Myrtle Beach is the king of golfing because they have superior marketing and organization, but Jax could easily take the title if they wanted to.

Good luck!

Old 02-06-2009, 09:41 PM

193 posts, read 429,736 times
Austin TX. I happen to have just chosen there, but it seems to match your criteria very well.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:20 PM

107 posts, read 299,622 times
Phoenix metro area. Great weather, Mexican influence, and Golf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.