U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 12:16 AM

5 posts, read 14,257 times

Advertisements

Hey I was looking for some opinions and advice on relocating out of Chicago for many reason but mainly the weather... I also have lived here my whole life, being in the trendy city neighborhoods for the last 6 years and have done everything ive ever wanted to do in this city. I want to try something new and wouldnt mind a smaller city.

With that said i am very open and only have a few demands from a city i would relocate to -

Warmer is the number one issue - so most likely somewhere in the south or westcoast, in the winter nothing colder then low of 30

Medium to large city, need a downtown area with the basics, preferably a sports team or big university, nightlife, some trendy areas/ culture, would prefer somewhere on the rise opposed to on the decline

Cost of Living and Job Markets are also variables i need some insight on.

Cities Id like some opinions on - Austin, Raleigh, Charlotte, San Diego, cities in Florida, cities in Cali such as Berkeley, Santa Barbara

Any help is appreciated, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 12:43 AM

527 posts, read 1,119,260 times
Indeed. Get out of our city.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:44 AM

2,242 posts, read 5,562,006 times
Ask in those cities, not this one.

I love the cold.
I hate the hot.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:58 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,760,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cold CHI View Post
Hey I was looking for some opinions and advice on relocating out of Chicago for many reason but mainly the weather... I also have lived here my whole life, being in the trendy city neighborhoods for the last 6 years and have done everything ive ever wanted to do in this city. I want to try something new and wouldnt mind a smaller city.

With that said i am very open and only have a few demands from a city i would relocate to -

Warmer is the number one issue - so most likely somewhere in the south or westcoast, in the winter nothing colder then low of 30

Medium to large city, need a downtown area with the basics, preferably a sports team or big university, nightlife, some trendy areas/ culture, would prefer somewhere on the rise opposed to on the decline

Cost of Living and Job Markets are also variables i need some insight on.

Cities Id like some opinions on - Austin, Raleigh, Charlotte, San Diego, cities in Florida, cities in Cali such as Berkeley, Santa Barbara

Any help is appreciated, thank you!
The only city you listed, that I'd consider, would be San Diego. I got news for you though, culture and shorts, don't go hand in hand.

Have you been outta of Chicago much? You in for a rude awaking moving to a 'sunbelt' city. Austin this, Austin that. What they DON'T tell you, is when you leave that city, there's NOWHERE to go (although San Antonia ain't to far). Talk about being out in the middle of NOWHERE, believe me it's BARREN!

Florida? Forget even thinking about that state! Santa Barbara? Have you ever been there? Post cards are one thing, living there is another. You'll be bored out of your gorge within weeks being there.

I'd rethink your plans, sun isn't everything.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:40 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,309,771 times
Uh, well, this is a forum for questions and discussions about Chicago, not questions and discussions about every place but Chicago. Why not go to those cities' forums and ask them? They're certainly more informed about their own cities than we are. Another possibility is to go to the General U.S. forum and lay out your criteria there and seek responses from a broader audience.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Uh, well, this is a forum for questions and discussions about Chicago, not questions and discussions about every place but Chicago. Why not go to those cities' forums and ask them? They're certainly more informed about their own cities than we are. Another possibility is to go to the General U.S. forum and lay out your criteria there and seek responses from a broader audience.
Not so fast Dover, some people who lived in Chicago, and HAVE been to those other places listed, can be of help. Don't jump on somebody cause they want out of Chicago. Some of us are a little more 'worldly' than others on this site!

Old 02-04-2009, 02:17 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,309,771 times
I didn't "jump on" anybody. I simply told him where he'll get better and more informed responses to his questions. Having been somewhere isn't the same as living there.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:32 AM

Quote:
I didn't "jump on" anybody. I simply told him where he'll get better and more informed responses to his questions. Having been somewhere isn't the same as living there.
'If' someone travels enough, spends enough time on the road, believe me, you can start to tell the differences in lifestlyes, cultures, or the look and feel of life, in any city. You don't have to live somewhere for years to know if you like it or not. Stick with me kid, I'll teach ya a thing or two !

Old 02-04-2009, 06:34 AM

6,021 posts, read 13,560,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
'If' someone travels enough, spends enough time on the road, believe me, you can start to tell the differences in lifestlyes, cultures, or the look and feel of life, in any city. You don't have to live somewhere for years to know if you like it or not. Stick with me kid, I'll teach ya a thing or two !
if you're interested in, say, Charlotte, NC, wouldn't it be easier and make more sense to post on the Charlotte NC forum where you can guarantee most of the readers have been there and actually LIVE there, or would you post on a completely different city forum in hopes the few readers on this forum that have been to Charlotte will pipe in to say "yeah, will I visited there once a few years ago..."?

granted, there may be a few transplants here on the Chicago forum that could give you some valid info, but why not get the straight deal from people who actually live in the cities you're interested in?

at the very least, if you don't want to create multiple posts across multiple states, at least post in the General US forum

Last edited by eevee; 02-04-2009 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: forgot to quote

Old 02-04-2009, 09:11 AM

15,587 posts, read 23,234,554 times
Quote:
My thoughts exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or