U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think is America's most overlooked city or town?
Jacksonville,FL (overshadowed by Miami) 5 14.29%
St. Paul, MN (overshadowed by Minneapolis) 8 22.86%
Fort Worth, TX (overshadowed by "Big D") 8 22.86%
San Jose, CA (overshadowed by San Fran./Oakland) 5 14.29%
Jackson, Miss. (because it's in Mississippi) 3 8.57%
Other 8 22.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-2007, 10:27 PM

673 posts, read 3,755,714 times

Advertisements

What about Aurora, Colorado with 300,000 people which borders Denver, Colorado. Aurora is larger then St. Paul, Minnesota and yet I rarely here of Aurora and Denver, Colorado in the same sentence.

Aurora borders Denver on the east. Going down Colfax, Yosemite Street is the dividing line. Aurora is on the eastside of Yosemite and Denver is on the westside.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 10:55 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,370,480 times
How about Long Beach, a major city in it's own right of over 400,000 people completely overshadowed by Los Angeles.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:23 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,250 posts, read 19,209,535 times
Aurora and Long Beach....They're the in the "others" category. Perhaps they should be singled out because I didn't even think about them.
I'm still suprised that St. Paul is leading the list. Jacksonville, Ft. Worth, and San Jose are the three biggest cities on this list. It's less understandable why those three are on the list because they shouldn't be overlooked.

The only reason why I didn't post a list featuring the most known cities is because they're already known by EVERYONE. This thread is for the underdogs, baby!

Old 03-16-2007, 10:31 AM

500 posts, read 2,704,387 times
I vote for Fort Worth because it has a wonderful museum campus with three fantastic institutions and an interesting downtown with Art Deco buildings.

Other than that, the cities you include in the poll are not famous because they all suck or have little to overcome their underappreciation. They pretty much are where they ought to be- overshadowed.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:38 PM

5,861 posts, read 14,068,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
What about Aurora, Colorado with 300,000 people which borders Denver, Colorado. Aurora is larger then St. Paul, Minnesota and yet I rarely here of Aurora and Denver, Colorado in the same sentence.

Aurora borders Denver on the east. Going down Colfax, Yosemite Street is the dividing line. Aurora is on the eastside of Yosemite and Denver is on the westside.
I wouldn't consider Aurora a "city", even though I am sure it is incorporated as such. It's a huge sprawling suburb, similar to Mesa AZ and places like that. The reason old cities such as St Paul, Buffalo, Hartford, New Orleans, St. Louis, Atlanta and even Miami are small in population is because their present boundaries were established over 100 years ago (well, probably <100 for Miami). Couple that with newer incorporated areas whose boundaries were established after the post-WWII sprawl movement started, and that's what you get. Meanwhile, many older cities in the sunbelt expanded their boundaries to absorb much sprawl, such as Ft. Worth, Dallas, San Jose, and Houston. Jacksonville did this in the 1960s, allowing it to leapfrog from 3rd largest city, past Tampa and Miami, to 1st largest.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:52 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,763,355 times
/\ I agree. Fort Worth may have a larger population, but it is sprawl. This is also why no one flies to Mesa, Long Beach, San Jose, et cetera. They fly to Phoenix, LA or San Francisco. They have the raw numbers, but it is how they are composed. This isn't a criticism, just a difference. Also, why isn't Newark on there, it used to be the size of Kansas City

Old 03-16-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
I vote for Fort Worth because it has a wonderful museum campus with three fantastic institutions and an interesting downtown with Art Deco buildings.

Other than that, the cities you include in the poll are not famous because they all suck or have little to overcome their underappreciation. They pretty much are where they ought to be- overshadowed.
Fort Worth aint perfect. And all the cities on the list have something that sets themselves apart from eachother.

Jacksonville has an NFL franchise and they have hosted the Super Bowl

San Jose is a California city with an NHL franchise

Fort Worth has a great mix of culture with old western flair and this city has been on featured on COPS more times than the other cities combined

St. Paul is the capital of Minnesota

and Jackson......it's the only somewhat major city in Mississippi....that should be enough for this town because they need something too.

Still, thanks for the vote.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
/\ I agree. Fort Worth may have a larger population, but it is sprawl. This is also why no one flies to Mesa, Long Beach, San Jose, et cetera. They fly to Phoenix, LA or San Francisco. They have the raw numbers, but it is how they are composed. This isn't a criticism, just a difference.
You got me there. But I still stand by my vote.
Quote:
Also, why isn't Newark on there, it used to be the size of Kansas City
The key words there are "used to be...". Newark is overshadowed, but that town is right next to NEW YORK CITY. Any city could get overshadowed and concidered to be a suburb next to a place with over 8 million people.
I didn't think of Newark either. Maybe I should change this. Thanks.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:53 PM

500 posts, read 2,704,387 times
Newark is dead. It's not that it is overshadowed. It's that it died thirty years ago. Very sad place. Full of crime, poverty, drugs and death.

JJG, I'm sorry but I couldn't care less about sports. I don't think sports -as much as Americans love the ball- make a town good or bad.

Culture does make a difference, thus my voting for Fort Worth and the museums in your city.

St Paul is the capital of Minnesota... but that doesn't make a city great either! We all know how many state capitals are small, insignificant towns. I'm thinking about Pierre, South Dakota- 14,000 people, a big capitol and that's about it. A big capital!

Old 03-17-2007, 08:45 AM

11,878 posts, read 33,572,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
This country has some of the most overlooked and unappreciated cities for a stupid reason. Some of thoe towns aren't noticed at all for no reason at all.

Which city do you think is the most disrespected city in America?

I say it's Fort Worth because it's 30 miles west of that city that shall only be known as "Big D" in this thread . Alot of people think that Fort Worth is just some second rate suburb next to Big D. What I hate the most is that when something good happens for one of the two cities in the DFW metroplex, it's mainly Big D this and Big D that. But when there's something in Big D that makes the city look bad or unliveable, all of a sudden it's the DFW area. Why?
Fort Worth is a great city, but people don't know that because all they see is Dalla...er...Big D, and think that it's the ONLY city in this area. It's gotta stop.
Fort Worth got my vote JJG.. WAY overshadowed by Dallas and such a large city to not have major professional sports teams and such. Great place to live as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or