U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think is America's most overlooked city or town?
Jacksonville,FL (overshadowed by Miami) 5 14.29%
St. Paul, MN (overshadowed by Minneapolis) 8 22.86%
Fort Worth, TX (overshadowed by "Big D") 8 22.86%
San Jose, CA (overshadowed by San Fran./Oakland) 5 14.29%
Jackson, Miss. (because it's in Mississippi) 3 8.57%
Other 8 22.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 10:42 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,247 posts, read 19,176,091 times

Advertisements

This country has some of the most overlooked and unappreciated cities for a stupid reason. Some of thoe towns aren't noticed at all for no reason at all.

Which city do you think is the most disrespected city in America?

I say it's Fort Worth because it's 30 miles west of that city that shall only be known as "Big D" in this thread . Alot of people think that Fort Worth is just some second rate suburb next to Big D. What I hate the most is that when something good happens for one of the two cities in the DFW metroplex, it's mainly Big D this and Big D that. But when there's something in Big D that makes the city look bad or unliveable, all of a sudden it's the DFW area. Why?
Fort Worth is a great city, but people don't know that because all they see is Dalla...er...Big D, and think that it's the ONLY city in this area. It's gotta stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 11:02 AM

5,858 posts, read 14,046,541 times
St Paul overshadowed by Minneapolis?? I don't think so!! How could St. Paul be overshadowed by its western suburb? ;-)

Old 03-14-2007, 11:39 AM

673 posts, read 3,752,388 times
St. Paul is underappreciated in my opinion. Its got great architecture, Grand Avenue and also alot of small colleges located along Snelling Avenue.

I do think that part of it is St. Paul's fault because the downtown despite being beautiful architecturally and easy on the eyes is extremely, extremely lacking on entertainment and retail choices.

I also think Fort Worth gets overshadowed alot, because when I think of the metroplex I only think of Dallas and forget that there even is a Fort Worth.

I am wondering is Fort Worth an older established city like St. Paul is a more of suburban city with just a few older buildings?

Old 03-14-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I also think Fort Worth gets overshadowed alot, because when I think of the metroplex I only think of Dallas and forget that there even is a Fort Worth.
See, that's what I'm sayin' folks. Fort Worth is the 19th largest city in America. Bigger than Atlanta, Miami, Minneapolis, New Orleans, St. Louis, Kansas City, Seattle...the list goes on. But many people recognize those alot more than FW because of "Big D". But like St. Paul, it is some of that is Ft. Worth's own fault. I'll admit that.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:35 PM

Hmmm.
St. Paul and Fort Worth are very overshadowed as you can see.
Let's compare the two for a sec...
They're both within 30 miles of it's "big brother".
They don't have there own (Major) sports teams.
And of corse... a majority of people don't even recognize them.

The only differences... Ft. Worth is much bigger and at least we have TCU to cheer for.

Someone's gotta break this tie.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:01 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,123,095 times
Richmond, Virginia !

Old 03-15-2007, 08:13 PM

5,858 posts, read 14,046,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Hmmm.
St. Paul and Fort Worth are very overshadowed as you can see.
Let's compare the two for a sec...
They're both within 30 miles of it's "big brother".
They don't have there own (Major) sports teams.
And of corse... a majority of people don't even recognize them.

The only differences... Ft. Worth is much bigger and at least we have TCU to cheer for.

Someone's gotta break this tie.
St. Paul is within 30 miles of Mpls.? Try 0 miles--thier borders are contiguous. And we don't have our own major sports teams? Ever hear of the Vikings, the Twins, the Timberwolves and the Wild? St. Paul is not recognized? Didn't you learn your state capitals in 3rd grade?

Old 03-15-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
St. Paul is within 30 miles of Mpls.? Try 0 miles--thier borders are contiguous. And we don't have our own major sports teams? Ever hear of the Vikings, the Twins, the Timberwolves and the Wild? St. Paul is not recognized? Didn't you learn your state capitals in 3rd grade?
Yes, St. Paul is recognized as a state capital, but it's not as well known as Minneapolis. And I checked, St. Paul has the Wild and the city shares its other sports teams with Minnie. But St. Paul isn't that big of a city and it's right next to Minnie. Fort Worth is 30 miles away from Dall...er, Big D, the city has over 624,000 people IN the city limits, and we're in one of the biggest sports markets in the country, but all the teams here are considered to be Dallas teams (the Rangers are in Arlington, a city in Tarrant County-OUR COUNTY-therefore they really belong to us).
Hey, at least St. Paul is a state capital and the city has an NHL franchise. What does Ft. Worth have ?.......
The Fort Worth Cats, The Fort Worth Flyers, and the (possibly defunct) Fort Worth Brahmas. Ever herd of them? No, 'cause there all minor leauge teams.

Those are all the reasons why Ft. Worth should claim the title of "America's most overshadowed city". This is all light hearted folks, and at least the tie has been broken.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:56 PM

30,189 posts, read 67,332,997 times
I'd have to say that Wilkes-Barre, PA is rather overshadowed by Scranton, its sister city to the north. Wilkes-Barre may only have 40,000 residents as compared to Scranton's 70,000, but the city still has a very cosmopolitan flair to it. Most people hear "Scranton" and immediately think of "The Office", but mention Wilkes-Barre and people draw a blank.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:37 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,380,526 times
America's most overlooked city - and then a list?
Ummm...Wouldn't the most overlooked city not be on a list?

But it's an interesting thread.

How about another thread? Name a wonderful city (anywhere in the world) which is wonderful and much more exciting than it's reputation would suggest. But I spose that's another thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or