U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:19 AM

34,667 posts, read 33,667,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
The notion of a one-day driving distance comes up here and there in American culture and business. Cities use it as a way of describing how close they are to other cities. Businesses use it to plan where to put distribution centers. Tourism boards take the distance and cut it by 2/3rds or so to come up with the radius for possible "day trips" from a particular location.

But what is a one-day driving distance? It obviously varies by road and geography, but for major cities in the US, we'd assume freeway access and "normal" conditions along the way.

I think it varies wildly according to person (a person in a hurry driving alone, speeding, and making few stops between an early start and a late end might hit 1,400 - 1,500 miles), but in terms of a comfortable day's drive, where would you put the limit?

The generally-accepted figure seems to be 500 miles, which is often around 10 hours of driving with a few stops to eat included. Is that too much? Not enough?
I don't know the answer to your question but I recommend ignoring any answer from a person who lives in Los Angeles. They are all time-challenged when it comes to estimating driving time/distance. I say that with love and a pat on the head...but it's true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,197 times
Thumbs up Take an hour break if possible

I live 6 hrs from Niagara Falls. One day I wanted to see how far I can drive alone in a single day so decided to go to the falls and return home non-stop. After reaching NiF, I took a break for exactly an hour (I couldn’t resist to see the beauty of the falls) and returned home at 12 midnight. I drove little above 13 hours including the 1 hr break @ NiF on that day. It is possible to drive (at least for me) that long in a day if we take a break close to an hour exactly after you have covered half distance in your entire trip.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:32 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,146,115 times
For trucking there is a daily limit of 11 hours/day of driving time (14 hrs on duty). Assuming you drive an average of 55 mph (trucks move more slowly than cars), you'd max out at about 600 miles/day.

Hours of Service | Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Old 08-21-2014, 08:18 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,394,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
8 hours/ 500 miles is the standard. If you do the math, you will see that 8 hrs. of driving at 60 mph gives you 480 miles travelled. Throw in the extra 20 forliving life on the edge and you got your range.
Pretty much this would be my target now, but I've done tons of long one-shot runs (Green Bay to Austin/Boston to Milwauee/Stevens Point to South Padre/Green Bay to New Orleans) by myself in the past.

I remember coming back to Green Bay from New Orleans at midnight or so, not having slept in about a day to start it off. I took a wrong turn in Memphis, and ended up 2 hours West of town...hey, I was tired! I drove back to Memphis and the 4-hour "detour" was just too much of a spirit-breaker and I slept a few hours at a rest stop before going the rest of the way. That's the only time I ever gave up.

Used to smoke, and that probably helped. And used to pound soda, which I don't do anymore. And I was young and stupid enough to think I could do 20+ hour drives with a couple hours of sleep and not be impaired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or